• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/26 - 27 Storm Discussion Thread

4aprice

* confidence: Confidence on snowfall amounts at or above 6 inches
in the poconos and far northwest new jersey is a little less
than yesterday due to a southeastward shift in storm evolution.
Confidence from allentown to trenton for a substantial winter
event is above average.

Sounds like last winter. :-o Hope its just a blip in the models.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

gmcunni

State of CT info -

MODERATE TO LARGE WINTER STORM EXPECTED TO BRING SNOW AND MIXED PRECIPITATION TO CONNECTICUT WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON CONTINUING THROUGH THURSDAY MORNING…
WINTER STORM WATCHES ISSUED FOR MOST OF THE STATE…

The latest runs of the GFS and NAM models are only in fair agreement on the forecast for a moderate to large snow/sleet storm starting Wednesday afternoon and continuing into Thursday morning. Both models are forecasting that a low pressure system will take shape near the U.S. Southeast Coast tonight then move Northeast to Cape Hatteras on Wednesday. The low is then forecast to intensify as the storm moves Southeast of Cape Cod early Thursday morning. Both computer models are having a tough time forecasting the track of this storm (one model takes the storm out to sea and the other brings the storm a lot closer to the coast). The following forecast only has a fair confidence level at this time:

Wednesday Afternoon: Cloudy with light snow developing along the coast between 2:00 – 4:00 PM. The snow is then forecast to move slowly inland and reach the Hartford area by 6:00 PM. Snowfall during the afternoon rush hour is expected to be light with a minor impact on the commute. Highs in the upper 20’s to low 30’s.

Wednesday Night: Snow becoming moderate and then heavy at times by Midnight. A snow/sleet line is expected to move inland from the coast and may reach the I-84 Corridor by late evening. The snow/sleet line is then forecast to move slowly back to the southeast with all areas changing back over to snow by around 3:00 AM Thursday morning.

Thursday Morning: Snow ending from Southwest to Northeast between 5:00 – 8:00 AM. Total accumulations ranging from 4 – 8” of powdery snow in the NW Hills, 8 – 12” of snow and some sleet in a band from Southwestern to Northeastern CT and 8 – 12” of wet snow and sleet in Southeastern CT. The impact on the morning rush hour is forecast to be moderate to major at this time.

Thursday Afternoon: Clearing and relatively mild with highs in the 30’s. Some melting of snow is expected, however water on the roadways may re-freeze Thursday evening.

Euler

So VT has gone from possibly "needing yardsticks to measure the snow" to little to no accumulations. Oh well. At least its not raining and I can get to the mt. with my school bus on Weds.

WJenness

so vt has gone from possibly "needing yardsticks to measure the snow" to little to no accumulations. Oh well. At least its not raining and i can get to the mt. With my school bus on weds.

BRING BACK THE YARDSTICKS...

(anti-caps)

-w

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
So VT has gone from possibly "needing yardsticks to measure the snow" to little to no accumulations. Oh well. At least its not raining and I can get to the mt. with my school bus on Weds.

Don't underestimate upslope, even before and after the storm. We've had an inch or two every day up there.

kingslug

And Long Island and NYC are getting 4 to 8 inches of useless snow...glad I'm out of here friday for 10 days...Utah...which is a little dry...so I'll have to climb for it.....

Madroch

According to people who supposedly know about this kind of stuff.. signs that upper level features improving for this one.. all might not be lost.. at least for us in SNE. CT tree season continues....

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Enter Stage Left:

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Central NJ gets hammered.
StormTotalSnowFcst.png

drjeff

According to people who supposedly know about this kind of stuff.. signs that upper level features improving for this one.. all might not be lost.. at least for us in SNE. CT tree season continues....

The only problem still for us in CT, is that the stuff that's going to fall tommorrow/Thursday isn't exactly going to be light, dry, Utah-esque fluff. This storm is going to pack some moisture content, heck it's still much of the same dynamics/total moisture that had folks thinking FEET a few days ago, the problem is that the temperature profile of the atmosphere is going to only let that same amount of moisture end up as INCHES - though joys of weather in New England where in not much more than 48 hours we go from temps at/below zero to a storm where mixing and in certain areas plain rain are a very real posibilty :rolleyes:

reefer

Omg

three words - Oh Ho Ho...

No No No! Keep the Quiet Corner Quiet!! There's nothing to see out here! ;) :lol:

small world...........
skied there a couple times as a spry teen when I lived in Webster MA. Commuted to East Hartford for a lot of years later on thru Bigelow Hollow and would always take a peak over there............