• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Buildings collapsing

o3jeff

Scary shit, we have a flat roof over the warehouse at work. We were up shoveling the other day(2-3 feet of snow up there) and only got about half done. I guess it is still standing with what we got today since the alarm company hasn't called yet.

drjeff

All these reports of collapses today have me feeling much better about having spent 2 hours on the flatish part of my roof at home on Monday and then 3+ hours on the roof of my office yesterday(including some frostbite on my right foot :eek: ) yesterday!

skijay

I left work Monday at noon and shoveled mine off. It is not flat but I had snow drifts about 3 feet deep near the peak on the south side. My friend was using the roof rake to pull the snow off the roof that I threw down. There was a lot of snow up there. I do have ice dams. I wished I would have raked it after the first storm. My house has 3 foot overhangs and the ice & water barrier paper is 6 feet, so I hope I am good. I am concerned about the huge snow banks around my house. I may hire one of these people who have the Bobcats (there are ads popping up) and will push your snow banks back or take them away.

If I go up again I am going to bring my electric snow thrower. I wished I would have done that the first time as I would not feel as sore right now.

drjeff

Nuts here in CT today! The twitter feed from the local NBC station has a new update practically every 15 minutes today of a new collapse/partial collapse/building evacuation happening! This is going to play out for a while to come, and with more storms potentially lining up, it could get real ugly, real fast if action isn't taken

o3jeff

On my way to work this morning I was at a red light and noticed the bridge I was stopped on was only plowed to about a lane and a half with 5' snow banks along both sides, I think we might have more problems than just roofs in the near future.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Nuts here in CT today! The twitter feed from the local NBC station has a new update practically every 15 minutes today of a new collapse/partial collapse/building evacuation happening! This is going to play out for a while to come, and with more storms potentially lining up, it could get real ugly, real fast if action isn't taken

Seems to me the answer is pretty clear. Most of the buildings collapsing are flat, right? Bring a snow blow up and make a day of it!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
II am concerned about the huge snow banks around my house. I may hire one of these people who have the Bobcats (there are ads popping up) and will push your snow banks back or take them away. .

Indeed. If not, you're gonna have some potential basement problems in the spring, if you catch my (snow) drift..

drjeff

Seems to me the answer is pretty clear. Most of the buildings collapsing are flat, right? Bring a snow blow up and make a day of it!

Problem now is seeming to be that there's lots of building being reported with structural issues, but that haven't collapsed, so there's some issues about whether or not it's even safe to get folks up on the roof to clear things off :eek: A nasty catch 22

And to put it in perspective, there's now a total of 10 buildings alone along Main Street in Middletown (less than a mile from Wesleyan University) that have been condemned - that had 1 collapse there yesterday :eek:

Glenn

Wow! Just checked WTNH...didn't realize how many more buildings have fallen.

MR. evil

That might not be a good idea. Most modern flat roofs are rubber (EPDM) and would not do well with a snow blower scraping them. Very good chance of tearing the roof membrane and 100% chance of voiding the roof warranty.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
That might not be a good idea. Most modern flat roofs are rubber (EPDM) and would not do well with a snow blower scraping them. Very good chance of tearing the roof membrane and 100% chance of voiding the roof warranty.
Not cheaper than a new building? Excuse my ignorance, my undergrad was EE.