• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

redhook 8 4 1

jaywbigred

I avoid all Redhook because of Budweiser's large stake. Same goes for Goose Island and Widmer. It may be a little close minded of me, but there are so many truly independent brewers out there, I'd rather throw those guys my business.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I avoid all Redhook because of Budweiser's large stake. Same goes for Goose Island and Widmer. It may be a little close minded of me, but there are so many truly independent brewers out there, I'd rather throw those guys my business.

If I am not mistaken Goose Island used to be an independent brewery based in Chicago. I went to a party at the brewery once about 17 years ago. I would take a ponder and say that Bud's stake (Personally, I did not know they even had a stake, but I don't really drink Goose Island, other than when I was at that party) came about once they started to bottle and sell it in stores.

jaywbigred

If I am not mistaken Goose Island used to be an independent brewery based in Chicago. I went to a party at the brewery once about 17 years ago. I would take a ponder and say that Bud's stake (Personally, I did not know they even had a stake, but I don't really drink Goose Island, other than when I was at that party) came about once they started to bottle and sell it in stores.

I think it is very recent...last 3-4 years or something like that. Def. within the last 10. Minority stake too, iirc maybe 30-40%, but, like I said, I'd rather give $1.00 to a true independent than split it $0.60/$0.40 btwn and indie and AB.

powpig2002

so do you ski at large corporate areas or just small local hills? just looking for a good old fashion hostile exchange of ideas. red hook makes a consistently good product. i was drinking it before AB got involved. i've heard it said, people don't drink sierra nevada because it's to easy to find. please feel free to retort

deadheadskier

Staff member
learn something new everyday. I drive by Redhook several times a week. Was unaware they were part owned by AB. Personally, I prefer Smuttynose for a local brew.

jaywbigred

so do you ski at large corporate areas or just small local hills? just looking for a good old fashion hostile exchange of ideas. red hook makes a consistently good product. i was drinking it before AB got involved. i've heard it said, people don't drink sierra nevada because it's to easy to find. please feel free to retort

Large corporate ski areas don't approach a 50% market share of American ski dollars. They also don't, to my knowledge, use their enormous size and deep pockets to lobby the United States Congress in an effort to beat down their smaller brethren through legislation.

My impression was always that between general managers and ski operators there existed a lot of sharing of industry information and knowhow, and that, in many instances, the relationship between big resorts and smaller, private, feeder-type hills was actually somewhat symbiotic in a lot of cases.

In other words, I don't hold the opinion that all big corporations are "evil" or "bad" across all industries. Sometimes they are, and sometimes they are not. Thus I don't have a problem skiing at Mount Snow (owned by Peek Resorts) but also refusing to drink Budweiser (or Budweiser-related) products if at all possible. I mean, if it were between a straight Budweiser beer and a Red Hook beer, I'd obvi. pick Red Hook. If it were between a Coors or Miller product and a Red Hook, I'd still pick Red Hook. But if it were between a Red Hook and a Smuttynose (or any other truly independent craft brewer), I am going with the Smuttynose.

Plus Smuttynose is yummy.

powpig2002

riding up chair one p.m at shawnee peak. 2 guys in next chair talking. we could hear every word. one says something like"you must come over. we have lots of yummies and goodies''. come on. you tell me you wouldn't have busted a gut? can you say"GGGAAAYYYYYOOOOO"? THAT WASN'T RIGHT!!!!

jaywbigred

using the word "yummies" as a noun is different than using the word "yummy" as an adjective, imo.

"We have lots of yummies in the cupboard"

vs.

"Last night I had a bacon cheeseburger that was f#cking yummy"

powpig2002

i must concur with the gentleman from bleu mt. pa. putting f^#king in front of anything takes away the ghey factor