• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lightning Strike on Killington's K-1 9/9/23

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Killington reports a lightning strike on the K-1 that will have the lift closed for repairs for at least 2-days.

Any details that other AZers might have would be appreciated.

It does seem to be a good reason for an alternate lift to reach the summit lodge.

skiur

Killington reports a lightning strike on the K-1 that will have the lift closed for repairs for at least 2-days.

Any details that other AZers might have would be appreciated.

It does seem to be a good reason for an alternate lift to reach the summit lodge.

Good luck getting a new lift over 4000 feet to pass act 250. The back up plan is the stairway.

BodeMiller1

The lift is built with this and others problems in mind. They will replace the damaged parts and the lift will be fine. If more than electricial work is needed. The mountain will replace those parts as well...

Pretty sure K1 will run soon.

Newpylong

There is no other feasible location for another summit lift terminal, especially without significant earthwork. This question was posed to Killington when they were planning to replace South Ridge. Furthermore there is not downhill capacity for another summit lift. Fluke issues do not always require drastic precautions.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Good comments. I cite the fact that there used to be two ways to the summit. While I suspect that Great Northern off the summit can't handle any more traffic, if the lift ended just below the summit lodge, it would provide access to the lodge without the traffic problem.

I do think that when you have a facility as big and as expensive as their summit lodge, a backup plan is not a bad thing. They certainly recognize that in the Snowshed area.

BodeMiller1

The lift is built with this and others problems in mind. They will replace the damaged parts and the lift will be fine. If more than electricial work is needed. The mountain will replace those parts as well...

Pretty sure K1 will run soon.

Good comments. I cite the fact that there used to be two ways to the summit. While I suspect that Great Northern off the summit can't handle any more traffic, if the lift ended just below the summit lodge, it would provide access to the lodge without the traffic problem.

I do think that when you have a facility as big and as expensive as their summit lodge, a backup plan is not a bad thing. They certainly recognize that in the Snowshed area.
It's much easier to build in the Snowshed pod. There's: more room, lower pitch; makes it easier to do everything.

kbroderick

A lightning strike near the peak that was enough to fry K-1 would stand a good chance of getting another lift that terminates near the summit. Putting all of your eggs in one basket can make a lot of sense if more baskets just mean spreading out the failures rather than preventing them.

Newpylong

Yes, a double and a 4 person low capacity gondola of which the 3rd stage rarely ran due to wind. Redundant but far less uphill capacity than K1.

There is already a lift that ends just below the summit. There is also one on the other side now far below it either. Good luck getting people to walk up to access a summit lodge.

Snowshed has nothing in common with Killington Peak.

skiur

Yes, a double and a 4 person low capacity gondola of which the 3rd stage rarely ran due to wind. Redundant but far less uphill capacity than K1.

There is already a lift that ends just below the summit. There is also one on the other side now far below it either. Good luck getting people to walk up to access a summit lodge.

Snowshed has nothing in common with Killington Peak.

People walk up all the time in October.

bigbob

SPE was hit by lightning shortly after it was installed and suffered electrical gremlins for years after...