• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

hey guys - Ski recommendation

SkiZone

I was just wondering it being my second season of skiing which i mastered the dimonds already. and u see im only 15 years old and im looking for some good skis and equipment to rent out for the whole season.
what skis would you recommend?
and wats a reasonable price?
is mount tremblant any good?

SkiZone

i usually like to ski at hunter and killington
i like to carve and go really fast

thetrailboss

Staff member
So groomed terrain and no moguls or glades?

Go with a high speed carving ski....one with a narrower waist and deep sidecut.

Advice, though, as disappointing as it is, is to "demo, demo, demo."

thaller1

For carving and speed specifically I would recommend the Volkl 5 stars or superspeed... for a great all around ski check out the Fischer line..the AMC 7.9 is a really fast fun ski.. I liked it because it's fast and you can still plant your turns where YOU Want them.. the Volkl is more of an unbroken horse.. if you don't mind keeping time then you'll be find..but if you want something YOU control..go Fischer!!

SkiDork

Want a really fun ski? Check out a pair of Fischer RC4 Slalom race skis. You won't be sorry.

SkiZone

but u see ill also be trying to hit the snow park and do a couple of tricks
are the twin tips any good?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
SkiZone said:
but u see ill also be trying to hit the snow park and do a couple of tricks
are the twin tips any good?

Wait until you see more varied terrain until you claim you've "mastered the dimonds [sic]."

Most new skis have a lifted tail already anyway. If you go full twin tip, you'll end up with a soft park ski with no stiffness or rebound and will be very mundane on the groomers.

I'd look for an all mountain ski right now if I were you. Something with wich you can still have fun carving, but something of medium stiffness and sidecut for when the inevitable happens: you discover the joy of the trees, bumps and powder.

awf170

thaller1 said:
fischer atuas..

they rock.... at least mine do!

Those have a 96mm waist. It would be insane to use those if you ski groomers and park since it is a powder ski. It would probably be a good quiver ski for the east, but no way a good day to day ski, especially when you don't even ski powder much.

Maybe the PE(public enemy), but it maybe too much of ski for right now though. Not sure really. Want to buy some 164 line 1260's? $150 with bindings?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
first of all.... what marc said.

second... you need to decide what you are going for: a groomer ski or a park ski. i have no experience with park skis, though i suspect the 'turned up tails' of most regular skis just aren't enough if you want a full on park ski. the recommendation for the volkl 5 star is great if you want a ripping groomer ski. it isn't going to do much for you in the park. the few park skis i have tried royally sucked on the groomers. you really gotta decide which ski you want to go with or get two. or make a pretty substantial compromise one way or the other.

bigbog

thetrailboss said:
So groomed terrain and no moguls or glades?.....
Moguls...TBoss, he likes them MASHED!....
Look around for some Volkl Explosivs! ;-)....however, all the above sounds good. Whatever you pick, don't hesitate to take lessons!...they'll save you a lot of wasted time correcting errors in technique that become habitual, and that often lock skiers into the blue trails...

Last edited:

madman

Does the fact that a 15 yr old feels he has mastered the diamonds and likes to ski fast after only 2 yrs scare anybody else

SkiDog

madman said:
Does the fact that a 15 yr old feels he has mastered the diamonds and likes to ski fast after only 2 yrs scare anybody else

Only if his home mountain is Killington..HA

:D

M

JimG.

Staff member
madman said:

I'd be alot more concerned if he said he likes to wedge as slow as possible on green terrain.