• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hey Camp ... Subi Impreza 2012

mrksn

Does anyone drive a Prius for skiing? How does it handle with snow tires? I looked at one at an auto show a few years ago and a person I talked to there said that they were pretty bad in the snow.

I got a ride up Loveland Pass in a Prius with all-season tires in some bad slushy May snow this year.. it was a little hairy but we made it to the top and over!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I don't get the Golf "way too small" vs Wagon "way too big".

You do know that a Golf and a Jetta wagon are identical from the rear wheels-forwards? They both have a 101.5" wheelbase. Other than extending the body 13" aft of the rear wheels, the cars are mechanically identical..
Looks are deceiving then! The SportWagen just looks to my eye bigger than it needs to be, as say compared to a previous generation Outback which has some of the best wagon proportions ever, IMO. I also count the rear seats not folding flat in the Golf as a major faux pas.

hammer

Blah blah blah. All the reviews online slam the CT200h for one of the slowest 0-60 speeds. But who in their right mind is buying this car for going fast? Some folks think they can have their cake and eat it too... but you don't buy a hybrid for 0-60 no more than someone buys a Mustang for fuel efficiency. If the CT200h had faster 0-60, it wouldn't get the good fuel economy. And what do you really need 0-60 for? Maybe if I lived in the city and had to frequently merge into difficult traffic. But then again, the city for commuting is a parking lot. No one is getting up to 60 during rush hour any ways. It is the same speed as the Prius and I doubt Prius reviews knock it as harshly. The CT200h is basically for someone that wants great MPG and style and wouldn't be caught dead in a Prius. I don't think I have ever gone 0-60 faster than 10 seconds in any car.

Might be a none issue any ways. Due to the Japan thing, dealers ain't got em' and there are already preorders (hello MSRP!). I'm checking out a SportWagen this weekend.

Depends on what you like I guess...I've had the slow but practical car, and with my 25 mile commutes I now enjoy having a car that has more oomph to it. Also, unless I was dead set on a vehicle I would not consider paying MSRP either.

I drive on MA roads during rush hour and when traffic frees up you need to do 65-70 to keep getting run over.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I drive on MA roads during rush hour and when traffic frees up you need to do 65-70 to keep getting run over.
I used to commute in MA on 495, 93, 95, and 128 in my 124 HP econobox and never had a problem keeping up. Actually, I used to get a little testy myself when things freed up. That had a 0-60 of a little more than 9 seconds.

It is all about personal preferences. If you want HP and you want a car that moves when you hit the gas, that is cool. But I don't think it is dangerous. A car with less get up and go might be frustrating to someone used to a faster car. But it doesn't make the car any less useful as a daily driver on the highway. It just means the car requires different driving habits.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I don't get the Golf "way too small" vs Wagon "way too big".

You do know that a Golf and a Jetta wagon are identical from the rear wheels-forwards? They both have a 101.5" wheelbase. Other than extending the body 13" aft of the rear wheels, the cars are mechanically identical.
Based on the specs I found, there is a bigger difference than you suggest. 67 vs 46 cubic feet of cargo (45% increase vs Golf). 14" longer may not seem like much, but splitting the difference between the two would be perfect both for my eyes and space requirements. Obviously, I am in the minority. Lack of fold flat seats definitely hurts the Golf as a cargo hauler.

That's why I want to hear your opinion, because you're not a VW guy... Quite the opposite, actually.
I'll post full reviews after we make a purchase. Currently, the JSW TDI is our first choice out of what we test drove. Mazda3 2012 is the runner up (though I drove the lower MPG 2011), very tough choice. Personally, I would love to have both but we can only trade in one car right now. Impreza Hatch is no longer in the running.

o3jeff

My brother just picked up a Hundai Elantra, they don't even give you a spare tire anymore, just a can of fix a flat. I guess that is how they can sell the cars so inexpensively and get the high fuel mileage(less weight). Kind of sucks if you have a blow out though....

wa-loaf

Based on the specs I found, there is a bigger difference than you suggest. 67 vs 46 cubic feet of cargo (45% increase vs Golf). 14" longer may not seem like much, but splitting the difference between the two would be perfect both for my eyes and space requirements. Obviously, I am in the minority. Lack of fold flat seats definitely hurts the Golf as a cargo hauler.

I'll post full reviews after we make a purchase. Currently, the JSW TDI is our first choice out of what we test drove. Mazda3 2012 is the runner up (though I drove the lower MPG 2011), very tough choice. Personally, I would love to have both but we can only trade in one car right now. Impreza Hatch is no longer in the running.

Was reading on a German website the Golf VII coming out in 2013 is going to bigger continuing the size creep in all cars. Might be the right size for you then ...

Also noticed they now have a diesel version of the GTI in Germany, the GTD. Would love to have one of those as my commuting car.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
My brother just picked up a Hundai Elantra, they don't even give you a spare tire anymore, just a can of fix a flat. I guess that is how they can sell the cars so inexpensively and get the high fuel mileage(less weight). Kind of sucks if you have a blow out though....
There were many other issues I had with the Elantra but this was a deal breaker for sure. For city driving, no problem. You can quickly get a tow to a nearby station and there will likely even be someplace open on a Sunday. For a skier driving in the middle of no where on Saturday and Sunday where stations are never open on the weekend? Very bad. Don't trust fix a flat for 200 miles, thank you very little.

Was reading on a German website the Golf VII coming out in 2013 is going to bigger continuing the size creep in all cars. Might be the right size for you then ...
No time to wait, the time is now. I could keep saying next year every year for the rest of my life. I will re-evaluate in three years when S is due for her car to flip. By then, my car will be paid off and have good equity for a decent trade. Until then, JSW TDI is the best option.

Given what happened to the latest Jetta, I am not sure I'd want to wait for the new Golf...

Geoff

The other way of looking at this:

A Golf has 105 cubic feet of interior space. The Jetta wagon adds 19 cubic feet. You're just tacking 14" on the back of a Golf without changing anything forward of the rear wheels. It shouldn't add much weight or change the balance of the car.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Dealer wouldn't let me pry a 2011 out of their cold dead hands for anything less than I would have paid for a 2012. Good luck to them finding a buyer for that 2011 for that price with 2012s hitting showrooms in just over a month. Fine by me, I kinda wanted a totally brand new, never driven car any ways.

AdironRider

Get used to it with a "high value niche" car like the Jetta Diesel. Those sell for over MSRP in some locations. They hold their value pretty well as well, so you make it up on the tail end.

Just saying you shouldnt be expecting summer firesale prices like you would on a civics, trucks, etc that are more mainstream.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Get used to it with a "high value niche" car like the Jetta Diesel. Those sell for over MSRP in some locations. They hold their value pretty well as well, so you make it up on the tail end.

Just saying you shouldnt be expecting summer firesale prices like you would on a civics, trucks, etc that are more mainstream.
On VW forums, most people seem to report at least $1k under MSRP and many folks reported $2k under MSRP. Some folks got even better but those were outliers. These were early year and late year sales mind you. I ain't "expecting" anything. But even in demand cars in this price range loose $1000 or more in resale 2011 compared to 2012 during this time of year for the same mileage driven. If other folks are willing to sacrifice potential $1k plus in resale and pay MSRP or over, they can have at it. I'll be making a very reasonable OTD offer on a 2012 and shopping it around in a month. I can wait and get the car I want for the price I want. If a car is ever that much in demand that I can't... then I will find a different car.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Agree with Adironrider. I believe the Jetta TDI's have had wait lists from time to time. Unless the car you were bargaining for had significant test drive mileage, I'd imagine the dealer would probably get full price for it, even if it is pretty close to the time the 2012 comes out.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Agree with Adironrider. I believe the Jetta TDI's have had wait lists from time to time. Unless the car you were bargaining for had significant test drive mileage, I'd imagine the dealer would probably get full price for it, even if it is pretty close to the time the 2012 comes out.
I didn't mention the full story. The car had $1500 worth of options that I didn't want and it wasn't my preferred color. They made an offer that would have been acceptable if the specs were my preference and 2012s weren't coming out next month. My research shows that $1k under MSRP for this car is a typical negotiated price, even when the new year models get here.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I guess things have changed a bit. I only really researched the car about a year ago when I was thinking long term towards a low mileage used vehicle to eventually replace my Hyundai with. At the time, dealers couldn't keep the Jetta TDI wagon on the lot.

Sounds like a great ride. Just wish diesel costs weren't so much higher than regular gas.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
In my searches, I found lots of TDIs out there right now (considering the time of the year). What is scarce right now are the option models (Sunroof, Sunroof & Wheels, Sunroof/Wheels/Nav). I think WV is responding to that with 2012s by not having options and just doing three trims. Given WVs desire to grow sales big time, I bet there will be plenty of stock for 2012.

Sounds like a great ride. Just wish diesel costs weren't so much higher than regular gas.
Diesel is 40 cents higher in my area right now. And combined mileage of 38 MPG is very typical, many do better on mostly highway. Let's do the math:

30 MPG Combined at 200k miles = 6666 Gallons * $4.00/Gallon = $26,664
38 MPG Combined at 200k miles = 5263 Gallons * $4.50/Gallon = $23,683

Lots of assumptions there but I think it illustrates the key points. It is difficult to find gas vehicles that get better than 30 MPG combined excepting hybrids (which have their own issues). The new 40 MPG highway crowd typically gets low 30s combined so they might be more competitive or even equal to TDIs. If diesel remains relative to gas as they both get more expensive, the advantage continues to grow towards diesel (i.e. the higher the price of gas, the less expensive diesel seems relatively). Many TDI owners get better than 38 MPG and as a skier with a 3.5 mile commute without any lights or traffic, I expect I would get better than 40 MPG total. You also get the performance benefits and functionality of a car. Basically, I think being concerned about gas being more expensive in diesel shouldn't be a concern unless you are also looking at hybrids.

So when is Subie going to smarten up and give the USA an AWD Diesel Wagon?

Last edited:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com

At the time, dealers couldn't keep the Jetta TDI wagon on the lot.
Just for some perspective on the availability of this car and late season deals, these guys have 21 JSW TDIs on their web site and are running a $1500 off MSRP sale right now. Nothing with a Sunroof, though, otherwise I'd be calling with an offer and going for a drive.

AdironRider

I think your being a little more picky with options, as opposed to the dealers being unreasonable. That being said, it does seem that the mania has died down a bit. My boss took a year to find his for anything under MSRP.

And you neglect that diesels cost more to maintain, which Im sure will eat up that 3k difference over 200k, plus you are paying a several thousand dollar premium just for the diesel to begin with.Outside of the rare few, noone keeps a car and drives 200K. If you have to go that far to see a difference pretty much means you arent going to see savings.

I would buy the base model wagon with the gas motor.

Either way, the VDub will be much better in terms of overall driving experience that the Mazda, Civic, or anything else really in that competive set.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I think your being a little more picky with options, as opposed to the dealers being unreasonable. That being said, it does seem that the mania has died down a bit. My boss took a year to find his for anything under MSRP.

And you neglect that diesels cost more to maintain, which Im sure will eat up that 3k difference over 200k, plus you are paying a several thousand dollar premium just for the diesel to begin with.Outside of the rare few, noone keeps a car and drives 200K. If you have to go that far to see a difference pretty much means you arent going to see savings.

I would buy the base model wagon with the gas motor.

Either way, the VDub will be much better in terms of overall driving experience that the Mazda, Civic, or anything else really in that competive set.
My first car? 204k. My second and current car? 178k. Could go to 200k and beyond easy. As long as I don't start traveling for work, my next car will be going to 200k and beyond.

As far as cost, from what I understand diesels cost less to maintain, not more. You do pay more up front, but you get it back in the long run. Besides, the DSG is awesome and there is nothing out there that gets this type of MPG that is as fun to drive. Mazda3 is better than the TDI on back roads and turns (big part of me still wants the Mazda3) but TDI gets the nod on straight aways and highways. And the pano roof is a thing of beauty. I ain't just looking to buy because of the diesel. It is the total package, here, so the getting my money back in MPG is not critical.

I am being picky. But if I was being that picky, I would not have even considered the one they had, no? I still don't think the dealership is going to move the car for what they offered me. I can afford to be picky considering the options I want will be at a variety of dealers in a month's time. It is all good, I don't hold anything against the dealership. I just don't think they are being realistic.