• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New use for an old pack: Packing in to Ascutney

sledhaulingmedic

My favorite part of my second (or is it third?) job is getting paid to go to high places. Last week, we made a short hike with 100 pounds of gear up to the summit of Mt. Ascutney to add a channel into a trunked radio system.

I went digging through my basement and found a 30 year old Jansport pack that I nearly threw out on multiple occations. Just perfect for the job:

asc3.jpg

When I crossed the river from Claremont, it didn't look like we'd see much. Pretty thick all the way up the access road. Even once we arrived at the summit, we could barely see the tower:

asc1.jpg

Fortunately, things started to clear:

asc2.jpg

For a change, we had everything we needed. Everything installed without a hitch, everything tested right on the first try, we didn't even need to tune anything. Sweet!

We were back at the trucks by 12:30 and got to enjoy the view before heading to the next job.

Okemo:

asc4.jpg