• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Closed Today Because of Weather

xwhaler

Probably smart, let the mtn drain a bit and then send the groomers up to try and work it back into some skiable shape for the wknd. I'm guessing that there wasn;t going to be many walk up ticket sales today anyway with the folks out there being passholders.

I have no problem with them not opening given the horrid weather today.

A quick scan shows that Saddleback, Ragged, and Whaleback are also closed today.

skiur

I dont care how bad it was out today they still should have had snowdon open with the canyon or glades going as well. Every other major ski resort in VT was able to open. When was the last time Killington closed for the day mid winter? I dont remember it. Its been a horrible season and all but come on!

Black Phantom

I dont care how bad it was out today they still should have had snowdon open with the canyon or glades going as well. Every other major ski resort in VT was able to open. When was the last time Killington closed for the day mid winter? I dont remember it. Its been a horrible season and all but come on!

Typically after a rain/freeze event they do not open. Not too shocked by this. They have been cutting every corner as tightly as they can.

pepperdawg

Free Da Dis!!!!!!!!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

I was working in the yard today (ha, ha) and I was thinking I should take a pic of my rained out yard and compare it with the 7' snow banks next to my walkway from lsat year.

Welcome to the boards :fangun:

thinnmann

Website
skiingbelleayre.blogspot.com

Hike it.

skiur

so everyone here thinks its not a problem that Killington closed today even with every other major resort open? If anyone had a trip booked today did they reimburse them there hotel and gas and all? Not right in my book. Stratton, Mt Snow, Okemo, Sugarbush, even MRG were open today. Its bad enough that they barely run any lifts during the week anymore but to shut the hole mountain down is just plain wrong!

ScottySkis

Yes this is reasons for me to take my money to ski other hills, their certainly not making happy repeat customers

MadPadraic

so everyone here thinks its not a problem that Killington closed today even with every other major resort open? If anyone had a trip booked today did they reimburse them there hotel and gas and all? Not right in my book. Stratton, Mt Snow, Okemo, Sugarbush, even MRG were open today. Its bad enough that they barely run any lifts during the week anymore but to shut the hole mountain down is just plain wrong!

Anyone who booked a trip could go to Okemo!

How bad are they about mid week lifts?

Tooth

Surprising. I rode lifts today covered in ice. It was amazing the work the lift crew did at Sugarloaf to open her up today. And they got her up and running early.

mlkrgr

Yes this is reasons for me to take my money to ski other hills, their certainly not making happy repeat customers

Agreed; and now Skyeship gondola does not open until 9:30 midweek; 8:30 weekends. Such as shame as it's a nice place but poorly managed (of course K is the most skiable area in extreme cold). Now that this is true, it is tough to ski any Skye Peak trails unless it's served by the Superstar lift unless Needles HSQ opens with the mountain during the first 1/2 hour. That makes me livid as I've skied the Skye area right from opening bell and there's a good 10 or so gondola cars packed with people by the time I can go up the Snowshed Quad and ski down to that lift; shows me there's enough day trippers/condo owners that want the lift running when the rest of the mountain opens. Sure, if they are going to run Needles HSQ midweek and even on weekends, they can open that an hour late and shut it down an hour early as long as Skyeship is running. The Skye Peak Quad shows they may be getting cheap on maintenance (although who knows; it could be a lemon). I've skied on many busy weekend days enough to say that the South Ridge Triple has relieved enough pressure at Bear (only good thing that offers not being in existence is that it reduces the traffic in that area) and when crowds do show up once people get snow in Southern NE, that area would be completely mobbed. And now the Bear Quad isn't even scheduled on some midweek days. Absolutely the worst setup midweek is at K. Setups at other mountains only have a minor inconvenience, such as the inability to ski the tippity top of some peaks at SR and the need to traverse to the main base area from Snow Bowl (lift is slow anyway and it rather takes only about 1-1.5 minutes to do the traverse) at Stratton as well as occasionally traverse to Ursa to catch an upper mountain lift when skiing the upper Sun Bowl area as Shooting Star runs on bankers' hours midweek.

Only thing is that I skied on a trip a couple years ago in which there was a rain/freeze and K did a good job getting lifts open as soon as they could (it was a weekend) and lifts only opened 1/2 hour late. Although it was a tough day, I saw the amount of work they put in. That being said, there were times in which they needed the Needles quad in which it was closed.

abc

To some degree, it's the right answer.

Many of us choose to ski less popular mountain, even though lacks in one aspect or another. K is slowly drifting towards that direction.

With people going away, there will probably be less price increase. Good for those who stick to it. And if after a few seasons, the price is low enough to justify it, people will start coming back.

The cycle continues.

dadnetebw

Probably smart, let the mtn drain a bit and then send the groomers up to try and work it back into some skiable shape for the wknd. I'm guessing that there wasn;t going to be many walk up ticket sales today anyway with the folks out there being passholders.

I have no problem with them not opening given the horrid weather today.

A quick scan shows that Saddleback, Ragged, and Whaleback are also closed today.

Unfortunately, there are no snow groomers at Killington.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com

Quite a few areas weren't in full operation (contrary to snow reports out there). In this type of precip event, if you can keep everyone/thing off the hill and let the crust take the beating, you can then till things out when the temperatures drop and have good skiing the following day. If you groom it during the event and ski it, you'll end up with a bulletproof ice base the next day.