• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon closing day

witch hobble

Date(s) Skied: 4/10/2012

Resort or Ski Area: Loon Mountain

Conditions: Springlike

Trip Report:

Between us, my friend and I had 5 mid week Loon vouchers from our local elementary school winter programs.

There was deep snow over in VT. But we didn't have the time.

It is April in Central NH, so it feels like we should be paddling. But the runoff has mostly come and gone. Weeks ago. Levels are low.

So, off to Loon. It had been a couple of weeks since I had skied. We got our tickets at the gondi. Everybody we talked to had a pass or was there as part of the large group that came in last week. It took us 15 minutes to give away three vouchers in the parking lot. Sad reality of late spring skiing: you can't give it away.

Conditions were really, really good. Inch or two of wet new up top. Wet corn everywhere. Coverage was surprisingly strong. Sure, some ice patches and dirt and narrow strips, but admittedly not as bad as lower Cannon and Upper Gary's were on closing weekend at Cannon. Some closed terrain might have been poached. It might have been quite good, with only a few relatively small sinkhole/crevasses. They had just mowed down the terrain park features the night before so there was bottomless mushy corn that nobody was eating.

I gotta give Loon some props on maintaining the operation so long and so well this year. The winter program for local schools is great, and generous. And thanks to all them furreigners who holidayed in New England last week for providing me with this bonus day.

:spread:

Last edited:

Cornhead

Thanks for the TR, Loon is on my hit list, as is Cannon. This year I scratched off Mad River Glen, Sugarbush, and Saddleback. Nice of you to work so hard to give away your vouchers.

witch hobble

Woulda been some kind of poison karma to ski around with free lift ticket vouchers in my pocket on the last day of the season.

Both Loon and Cannon are very good places in their own ways. Cannon fits better with my wishes for a bread and butter type of place. But I learned a lot more about Loon this year skiing around with a bunch of 5th graders. It gets lumped in with the southern VT megaresorts by a lot of reverse snobs like myself. But I think it's terrain is certainly more interesting than Okemo and Stratton etc. Easy to cross the two off your list with a night in between. They are 10-15 mins from each other.

skiadikt

a bit curious about their decision to close on a tuesday. wasn't there enough snow to close this weekend?

57stevey

a bit curious about their decision to close on a tuesday. wasn't there enough snow to close this weekend?

I think they just ran out of Brits. But I totally got 2 days added to my season thanks to them, so not complaining a bit!