• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Windholds @ Tenny

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Rushski indicated in another thread (about least crowded resorts) that Tenny had a lot of windhold Fridays. I'm surprised, since it's not that big a mountain. Thoughts?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, it's been a number of years for me, but IIRC their lifts were fairly sheltered. The double is pretty low and the ski area faces to the east. So NW winds probably aren't a big issue.

deadheadskier

Staff member
They did have the double closed once this past winter due to wind. It didn't seem that bad to me. The lifty admitted they were overly cautious, perhaps because of old lift infrastructure

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I would actually think Tenney would be a good back up option if mountains further north with High Speeders (and Ragged to the south) were not spinning due to wind. I almost bagged a Cannon powder day last season in favor of Tenney but Cannon got their lifts open. Burke is a better back up option for those areas though (and Bretton) but that is getting a little off topic.

Rushski

I'm just going by what I saw last season. My work affords me an every-other-frday-off schedule which works great for skiing.

So the four times I went last year were all Fridays and EVERY time they at least had temporary wind-hold on the double. Most of these times the lifties had no idea what time the double would reopen.

It is a tough place to wait for the double to open as the triple offers limited terrain and the usually rough conditions didn't make that all that good.

A co-worker who skied there off and on for decades has said that the mountain in general does get hit with a lot of wind and tends to be cool. My brother also reiterated what I said about Fridays as one of his hardcore skier buddies had a simialr schedule to me and also said that many of the Fridays were windy/crappy days.

Hard to believe I didn't get my $99 worth last season, but unfortunately was the case for me.