• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ボストンのMatsuzaka 氏へようこそ。 (Welcome to Boston, Mr. Matsuzaka)

JimG.

Staff member
Bleacher seats at Fenway, 550 feet from home plate going for $150 each - you heard it here first.

Jimmie G - here's my 1978 story:

By the time I went back to Albany State in late August for my sophomore year, Fisk and Lynn were on the DL, Zimmer had blown the Sox summertime lead down to just a few games, and the Yankee fans in my dorm were hysterical for Red Sox blood. When the 4-game Massacre happened over Labor Day, it was relentless. While you were getting crap up in Hanover in August, I took a solid month of abuse in September from everyone in my dorm (about 300 guys). Albany State was (and still is, I believe) about 85% residents of the 5 boroughs of NYC, plus Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester and Rockland counties. Then there was me - the Red Sox fan from Maine and Glens Falls. I might as well have been from Neptune. Even after the Sox won their last 8 straight to tie the Yanks in game 162, there were exactly 2 other Sox fans sitting in my room with me watching the playoff game on a TV I had rented from the electronics store around the corner. I couldn't afford the $35/day rental fee, but I also couldn't miss the game and there was no way in hell I could survive watching the game in the only dorm TV lounge with all the Yankee fans. No way. But, when the Sox won the coin flip and the game was scheduled to be played at Fenway, I made five $20 bets (that I also couldn't afford) with the five biggest Yankee fans in my dorm, just to shut them up and to prove that the Sox had someone on their side. But deep down, I was trembling.

OK, so we all know the Sox won the World Series in 2004, but the 1978 playoff game was much more intense. Much more intense. Hard to imagine 28 years later, but it's 100% true. The 4th game of the 2004 World Series was a formality - the Cards rolled over and we won. The 6th and 7th games of the 2004 ALCS were more like the '78 playoff game. That game was totally do or die, and baby, back in those days it was truly do or die - possibly more than now - ?? The Yanks and Sox hated each other and those players probably still do. I HATED Reggie Jackson and Mickey Rivers and Graig Nettles and Munson and Chambliss and Pinella and Gossage and Guidry and Billy Fucking Martin and George Steinbrenner more than you will ever know.

Sox fans wanted to win so incredibly badly that the game at Fenway was pretty much played in silence punctuated with screaming fits of ecstasy and rage. Sox fans were so uptight it wasn't even fun. We HAD to win. When Yaz hit the solo homer in the 2nd inning, we went nuts, but we had to keep cool since a very-average Mike Torrez was pitching against Ron Guidry who was all-world that year. The Sox were nursing a 2-0 lead when Bucky F. Dent popped the fly over the Monstah and Yaz slumped like a rag doll at the base of the wall when the ball didn't come down. The Yankee fans in the TV lounge down the hall banged on my door and almost broke it down (it was locked, thanks). Even when Reggie homered to put the Yanks up 5-2 in the top of the 8th, I still thought the Sox could come back. The 1978 Sox team was that good. But as usual, it was obvious that God is a freakin' Yankee fan and somehow allowed Pinella to catch Lynn's liner in the 8th and blindly snag Remy's potential game-winning double (shoulda been a triple) in the 9th, or else the Sox win. But - as always - the Yanks won when Yaz popped to Nettles with runners on 2nd and 3rd. I thought the world had ended.

In 2003 when Grady left Pedro in too long and the Yanks won on Boone's homer in the 11th, I threw my Sox hat into the garage and left it there for a few days. But when the Sox lost the playoff game to the Yanks in 1978, I was inconsolable. It was as if my family had gone down in a plane crash. This was the first time in my lifetime the Sox legitimately had a chance to win the Series, de-throne and humble the Yanks and perhaps start a dynasty. Go look up the roster for that team and check out how many Hall of Famers and Near Hall of Famers were on that team - and they never won a goddamned thing. Every year was the same thing. And when 1999, 2003 and the first 3 games of the 2004 ALCS happened, I was bummed but my heart was steeled from 1978. Even when the Sox lost to the Mets in 1986, I had the scar tissue from 1978 to protect me (but that was #2).

All right - I will give Yankee fans at least this much credit - in 2003 when Grady's brain fart blew the game, the next day all of my Yankee fan friends called or emailed to make sure I hadn't driven off a bridge. And in 1978 the 5 guys I made the bets with took me out and got me loaded on my own money. After about 10 Scotches I finally was cooled out enough to try to sleep, and I think it took me a week to get my head back on straight. As you can tell, even 28 years later and even after the Sox won the Series, 1978 still left a scar. And I know 2004 did the same for the Yankee fans..........

It sometimes amazes me that humanity survives...people do alot of really crappy things to other people.

Today, I always remind myself that it's just baseball.

Paul

I know as much about baseball as I do figure skating. But....
I will say I have been rather disappointed at the pitching in general in the majors over the last 6-7 years. Are the hitters really getting that good, or are teams not developing talent the way they used to, blowing kids up at 22, 23 years old instead of grooming them like Pappelbon? Beckett was supposed to be "the answer" with Lowell as "added baggage" and it turned out the opposite. Beckett sucked last year for what he was being paid. I just think it's an aweful lot of dough for a guy that has never thrown on this side of the world. Are we more likely to lose guys like Pappelbon when he's due for contract negotiation because we won't may him Matsuzaka money? It just sets a bad precedent. Let someone else front the big bucks and we'll pick him up on free agency in 3 years when he's just an average pitcher.

Very good points, all.

I'm not crazy about the precedent either, however, if it wasn't the Sox doing it, it would be the Yank-me's, so I think the precedent will be set one way or the other. I'm not sold on the guy, he has about 8 different pitches, so I can't believe that any 1 or 2 are really good, however, having a large amount to choose from may be his "ace in the hole" I have also heard that he has thrown over 200 in a game, more than once. Good chance he could burn out and succumb to dead-arm early. Of course the Sox needed to do something, and of the three, I would say that Zito would be the safe bet, but I do kinda like the Sox aggressiveness here. They're swinging for the HR, instead of the base-hit. Tough call. And they still need a closer, among other things....

FRITOLAYGUY

How totally ironic!

The Sox will be the catalyst for salaries escalating out of control, not the Yanks.

Hey, we can call you guys the Boston Steinbrenners from now on.

Jim i have to agree with you now, i can no longer bitch about the yankees payroll, if you are a fan of the Mets, yanks or sox your living in the penthouse now, we are on even lines, no more excuses or torturing the yankee fans about payroll, its out of control something really needs to be done.

ChileMass

Don't give them your money.

I'm a total diehard Sox and MLB fan, but there's no way I'm paying $105 face value for a field box at Fenway. And the scalpers and ticket agents will want double or triple that amount, so there's just no way. I went to Fenway in September for the 1st time in 3 years, and could only afford to buy a ticket after the Sox were completely out of the pennant race. I will follow them on radio, TV, the newspapers, etc., and win or lose I will follow them, but I refuse to pay that kind of money for a 3-hour baseball game.

skiNEwhere

I'm a total diehard Sox and MLB fan, but there's no way I'm paying $105 face value for a field box at Fenway. And the scalpers and ticket agents will want double or triple that amount, so there's just no way. I went to Fenway in September for the 1st time in 3 years, and could only afford to buy a ticket after the Sox were completely out of the pennant race. I will follow them on radio, TV, the newspapers, etc., and win or lose I will follow them, but I refuse to pay that kind of money for a 3-hour baseball game.

If I am not mistaking, don't the red sox have the highest ticket prices in MLB? But look at it from John Henry's point of view. He can just keep rising the ticket prices (and food prices), and he will still sell out EVERY game. I hate to say this, being a die-hard sox fan, but the only way ticket prices are going to go down is if the sox go on a cold streak and have a few bad seasons, and stop sellng out. I looked up the price of a ticket for Kauffman stadium right behind home plate(home of the royals), only 27 dollars.......

ChileMass

Bump

Pretty funny the way every TV station had live coverage going when Matsuzaka and agent Scott Boras flew into Boston tonight. You'd have thought the Pope had landed. There were about 50 Sox fans, about 25 Boston media reporters, and about 50 Japanese reporters!

Apparently the deal is $52M over 6 years, which is a nice long time to have him under cotnract. That is, as long as his shoulder holds up. Man, if tickets were tough to get before today, they will be impossible form here on out.

Sox 2007 starting rotation: Matsuzaka, Schilling, Beckett, Papelbon and Lester
Yanks 2007 starting rotation: Petitte, Mussina, Wang, Johnson and #5 to be named later (??).

Now just win, baby........:beer:

FRITOLAYGUY

U know whats funny though, Boras didnt even come close to what he wanted, people are basically calling it a steal, and if hes anywhere as good as Wang for the Yanks has been it will be.. I feel bad for the teams going after Zito another Boras client, he will not give in like he did this time.. All we need is a closer now.

ChileMass

U know whats funny though, Boras didnt even come close to what he wanted, people are basically calling it a steal, and if hes anywhere as good as Wang for the Yanks has been it will be.. I feel bad for the teams going after Zito another Boras client, he will not give in like he did this time.. All we need is a closer now.

Here's what they have been saying on Boston radio: Matsuzaka got much less than Zito will because he's not a free agent. The process of Japanese teams allowing their players to be "posted" is apparently seen as the only thing that keeps the US teams from freely raiding their best talent all the time. Players have to petition to be posted, and then their team still holds all the power. They compared the money Matsuzaka got to that of a very highly-sought amateur rather than what a free agent gets. So in that expect, the Sox management for once may have gotten the better of the negotiation and didn't have to give in to Boras' demand that Matsuzaka be treated (and paid) like a free agent. For once, we may have actually done well and not overpaid!

Press conference at Fenway at 5PM today for the introduction - sweet.

Now about that arm......let's hope he holds up for 6 years.......

Last edited:

rob56789

Who cares about all these guys lets get clemens back on the yanks

JimG.

Staff member
$102 million for a Japanese pitcher who has never thrown a major league pitch? Much good luck with that...looking forward to his first bombing in Yankee Stadium.

At least the Yanks had enough sense to bring back Pettite at $16 million...cheap compared to what the Sox did. And he's a proven winner in the regular season and the playoffs.

At least I'll never ever again have to take it seriously when a Bosox fan whines about the Yankees payroll.

Mike P.

IF YOU CAN BELIEVE the Boston Press (REAL big IF) Clemens is more likely to be in Boston than NY. If they really believe that it gives you option of not over paying for a closer & if it does not work out put Papelbon back in there & have Clemens start.

I agree that Pettite & Mussina are better options than Zito who gets hit hard usaully by NYY & Boston (not with first look but by 5-7th, everyone has seen the 12 to 6 curve) With Sheffield & Ordonez in Detroit, they will have some luck too. Pettite has been pitching against those weaker hitters in the NL the last couple of years, he has to prove he can still pitch in the A league.

JimG.

Staff member
Pettite has been pitching against those weaker hitters in the NL the last couple of years, he has to prove he can still pitch in the A league.

Mike, Pettite spent the first 10 years of his career in the AL...but you know that.

He has nothing to prove...as I said before, a proven winner in either league.

BTW, Clemens has spent the same amount of time in the NL as Pettite; do you think he has something to prove in the AL too?

There's only one pitcher in this recent conversation who has to prove himself...Matsuzaka.

FRITOLAYGUY

Well i have to take Jim's side on this, the only thing going against Clemens or Andy is age, other than that they have proven themselves in big spots, and i said awhile ago i can no longer bitch about the yankees payroll. Jim if he goes say 15-10 id call that a pretty good first season, and id be happy with it..

2knees

Mike, Pettite spent the first 10 years of his career in the AL...but you know that.

He has nothing to prove...as I said before, a proven winner in either league.

BTW, Clemens has spent the same amount of time in the NL as Pettite; do you think he has something to prove in the AL too?

There's only one pitcher in this recent conversation who has to prove himself...Matsuzaka.

16 million for a pitcher (pettitte) who got lit up like a christmas tree last year in the N.L. Yes he has a good pedigree but in this "what have you done for me lately" age, Pettitte has to prove last year was a fluke, not the beginning of the end. Not to mention his expanding resume of elbow problems.

2knees

as far as Dice K or whatever they call him, i hope to god it pans out. This sort of reeks of desperation to me, but i guess they had to do something. 52 million to the pitcher and 51 mil to the club. lotta money for a guy who could be the next Hideki Irabu. remember that "cant miss"?

ChileMass

$102 million for a Japanese pitcher who has never thrown a major league pitch? Much good luck with that...looking forward to his first bombing in Yankee Stadium.

At least the Yanks had enough sense to bring back Pettite at $16 million...cheap compared to what the Sox did. And he's a proven winner in the regular season and the playoffs.

At least I'll never ever again have to take it seriously when a Bosox fan whines about the Yankees payroll.

The new Sox management has to spend like this just to try to win the AL East. If they ever want to get past the Yanks, it's an economic necessity. Yup - the Sox can no longer claim the Yanks are the bad guys for spending money, but you Yankee fans have to admit it sucks to have someone else working what has been your private turf for decades.

As FritoLayGuy pointed out, Pettitte's 3+ years older than the last time he pitched in the AL, and he only won 14 games in the miserable NL last year. Mussina is another year older, Randy Johnson may not make it to the All-Star break, much less thru the season, and Pavano is still hurt. I heard the Yanks may go after Joel Piniero, who at least is under 30, but he's a #4 at best. He was 8-13 for Seattle last year with an ERA of 6.26. As you said - I wish you much good luck with that crew. Meanwhile, the Sox rotation keeps getting younger: Dice-K (26), Beckett (26), Papelbon (24) and Lester (22) plus Schilling at 40.

JimG.

Staff member
you Yankee fans have to admit it sucks to have someone else working what has been your private turf for decades.

OK with me...maybe the Sox will get stuck with some of the high priced losers I've seen over the years instead of the Yankees.

As you said - I wish you much good luck with that crew. Meanwhile, the Sox rotation keeps getting younger: Dice-K (26), Beckett (26), Papelbon (24) and Lester (22) plus Schilling at 40.

Ah to wear rose colored glasses! You vilify the Yanks rotation as being old, yet your list has 1 proven starter on it...Schilling at 40 years young. How did he do last season?