• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2/22 @ Stowe..poof..JADIP...

Hey all,

I'm back from a fun day at Stowe. I was a bit sluggish this morning due to copious amounts of adult beverages at Pie-Casso and Mr. Pitwicks. I arrived at Stowe at 815AM and parked by the gondola...I booted up and secured my ticket just as the Gondola started to load around 825AM. There was 4-6 inches of new snow with snow falling. My first run was Perry Merrill which had huge swaths of binding deep untracked ontop of a groomed base. I then went over to the quad and found alot of powder along the perimeter of the resort and in some woods. Back up the quad and down Nosedive to Bypass to bypass glades to Slalom glades and across Nosedive to more woods. Then back up the quad and down Starr to the woods between Starr and National..Widowmaker to the woods on the other side of Liftline..and down to the base..lots of boot deep to knee deep shots in the woods.

Then up the Gondola and down Perry Merrill to Switchback to Lower Chinclip..very nice so I did a repeat of that run. Then I went into the midway lodge for an early lunch and then I took the Over Easy Gondola to Spruce. Up the Sunny Spruce quad and over to the Sunsation quad and down Whirlaway which is one of my favorites. Thin cover signs kept the people off it which ensured freshies on the sides. I found a sweet woods shot as well..then down lower Sterling in packed and cut up powder. Back up the Sunsation and this time I skied Sterling top to bottom as fast as I could go..cutting the corners tight in the very forgiving snow. Back up Sunsation a third time and down Smugglers to some untracked poe right under one of the lower spruce lifts, back on the Over Easy Gondola to Mansfield.

I then went up the Gondola and down some woods below the Kitchen Wall..still some freshies and some tracked out areas as well..down middle Nosefive which was piles of loose snow and a few scrapped off areas then down lower liftline. Back up the Forerunner quad to a long dilly dally woods run. The Stowe Derby was taking place so I had to use caution crossing Toll Road to access the chapel woods due to racers. After 12 runs, my legs were like lead weights..and I called it a day around 1:15PM..I went down to the Shed for a few apres ski drinks and when I drove back to my hotel, there were Stowe Derby racers crossing 108(The mountain road)...the Stowe derby had been around for 62 years and it's a 19km downhill/cross country race..the falling snow made for slow conditions.

Right now it's still snowing..I might ski Stowe tomorrow or maybe Mad River Glen..it will depend on AM conditions..if we receive the 10-20 additional inches of snowfall..I might prefer 8 mile drive to Stowe as opposed to the 35-40 mile drive to Mad River Glen. JADIP..Just Another Day in Paradise..

Chesser

Sounds like an okay time. Did you scout Angel Food or Riverbed at all? I think they might've seen a lot of action Friday/Saturday.

I'll be on the mountain tomorrow and the next day, and watching this snow fall tonight is...promising.

ollegator

Did Angel Food as last run today. Its in amazing condition. It was getting nicely freshed up by the end of the day, plus there are still fresh lines left even from the past week's snow.

kcyanks1

Sounds like an okay time. Did you scout Angel Food or Riverbed at all? I think they might've seen a lot of action Friday/Saturday.

I'll be on the mountain tomorrow and the next day, and watching this snow fall tonight is...promising.

Riverbed was fun on Sunday (mid-morning) but pretty tracked up. There was better snow elsewhere, but it was still a fun run.

The majority of the woods I skied were on the quad side..there was so much powder that I didn't need to traverse much..Riverbed is fun if you're one of the first 6 people down it..I'll likely be back at Stowe in late March/early April..maybe with some PASRs in tow..

kcyanks1

The majority of the woods I skied were on the quad side..there was so much powder that I didn't need to traverse much..Riverbed is fun if you're one of the first 6 people down it..I'll likely be back at Stowe in late March/early April..maybe with some PASRs in tow..

Wish I knew you were there. I was skiing alone all day. The words were powdery/tracked powder , but I didn't find anything like I did at Sugarbush the day before. At Stowe it was routinely covering my boot bottoms, sometimes higher, but at Sugarbush it was knee deep in many places. I think Stowe's base in the woods under the new snow may have been a bit softer. Both days were fantastic, though, and I did get to explore a lot of new (to me) woods areas at Stowe (and even some new ones at Sugarbush), though it would've been cool to ski with someone else, especially someone who knows his way around.

Wish I knew you were there. I was skiing alone all day. The words were powdery/tracked powder , but I didn't find anything like I did at Sugarbush the day before. At Stowe it was routinely covering my boot bottoms, sometimes higher, but at Sugarbush it was knee deep in many places. I think Stowe's base in the woods under the new snow may have been a bit softer. Both days were fantastic, though, and I did get to explore a lot of new (to me) woods areas at Stowe (and even some new ones at Sugarbush), though it would've been cool to ski with someone else, especially someone who knows his way around.

oh well..I'll likely be back up at Stowe when Blue mountain closes in a month..probably with some PASRs in tow..Sugarbush was way deeper than Stowe..but I like the tree skiing at Stowe better. I always forget how tight eastern woods are..especially after being at Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee a couple weeks ago..

kcyanks1

oh well..I'll likely be back up at Stowe when Blue mountain closes in a month..probably with some PASRs in tow..Sugarbush was way deeper than Stowe..but I like the tree skiing at Stowe better. I always forget how tight eastern woods are..especially after being at Jackson Hole/Grand Targhee a couple weeks ago..

I may be up there on a Sunday again over the next month, I'll try to remember to post something here beforehand. Totally agree with you about eastern woods being much tighter.. I was at Jackson in January, and even though some of the woods there were steeper, the stuff here is tighter and more technical. I seem to get myself into hairy situations more on the east than west, though I guess I'm more cautious about where I'm going at Jackson knowing how easily I could get cliffed out if I'm not cautious.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
I may be up there on a Sunday again over the next month, I'll try to remember to post something here beforehand. Totally agree with you about eastern woods being much tighter.. I was at Jackson in January, and even though some of the woods there were steeper, the stuff here is tighter and more technical. I seem to get myself into hairy situations more on the east than west, though I guess I'm more cautious about where I'm going at Jackson knowing how easily I could get cliffed out if I'm not cautious.

the woods in the NVT are pretty tech which is what i love about them. one of the fun things about being out in the notch is you may end up getting cliffed out. you have to know when you can charge and when to dial it back. there are some lines in the notch i would love to do but my climbing skills are not really where they need to be to do them. o and ill be up on monday going to do sunday at stratton then head up

Last edited:

kcyanks1

the woods in the NVT are pretty tech which is what i love about them. one of the fun things about being out in the notch is you may end up getting cliffed out. you have to know when you can charge and when to dial it back. there are some lines in the notch i would love to do but my climbing skills are not really where they need to be to do them. o and ill be up on monday going to do sunday at stratton then head up

Yeah, I really wanted to hike the Chin on Sunday, but didn't have anyone to do it with. On my 3 gondola runs, I waited at the top for a bit, in hope to find a partner, but to no avail. At one point I did find some other people in a similar predicament to me--hoping to find someone with a bit more knowledge--but it didn't work out. I have done it once (though not route I was hoping to do on Sunday), and did have a map with of the vicinity, but especially given the likely poor visibility up there, I felt it would be best to be with someone who knows more than me, not my equal knowledge-wise. On a clearer day though I think equipped with the map and my one prior experience I would go up with others who I know even if they don't have more knowledge of the Chin. Next time, I guess.