• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2013 SKI Magazine Resort Rankings (Northeast)

AdironRider

How come people have voted Tremblant number one for the last 15 years? Quebec City and Tremblant are within 25 minutes of the same drive time from Boston, with QC slightly closer.

This is a stupid point. MadPat is complaining that there arent more Canadian resorts. Im arguing as to why there arent more. Not why there arent any on there at all. Can you follow a conversation, or just want to cherry pick arguments that make you look right regardless of context?

AdironRider

First off the cost of gas is a lot less than the cost of a plane ticket & I have a passport for a lot more important reasons than crossing the Canadian border. Secondly I'm talking about the rankings of eastern ski areas not western areas. Your not wanting to go to Canada is fine by me as well as many others.

Im not ranking Western resorts, Im arguing that it would be easier for someone to go to Jackson, than an Eastern Township hill in Canada, therefor not many Canadian resorts are going to be ranked by readers.

You defenders need to get over the fact that most US skiers arent going to go to Canada. Its not a slap in the face, just reality.

Riverskier

This is a stupid point. MadPat is complaining that there arent more Canadian resorts. Im arguing as to why there arent more. Not why there arent any on there at all. Can you follow a conversation, or just want to cherry pick arguments that make you look right regardless of context?

You keep talking about MadPat, but do you realize he hasn't even posted in this thread?

AdironRider

You keep talking about MadPat, but do you realize he hasn't even posted in this thread?

I think I need to get my eyes checked. Seriously.

Either way, its pretty clear who Im talking to in context of this thread.

EPB

I'm saying that the rationale you provided isn't adequate with Tremblant at #1 as the key piece of evidence. I could go into why your Jackson Hole/airplane example is asinine too (and really your whole argument), but you're not worth my time. I understand that condescension is your primary mode of defense on this forum, but can you take a reasonable counterpoint without losing your cool?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I guess its me...but, I think the Stratton lift system stinks. Granted they have a lot of HS lifts, but ever since they moved the North American Chair and took out the old Grizzly....I feel you spend a lot of time traversing and generally on weekends they have really long liftlines. They need to make the snowbowl a HS lift....that would help.

I've only skied there under the current lift system and definitely agree on the the Snowbowl lift. It would appear they really screwed up with the the Shooting Star lift. They should've just replaced the old Kidderbrook with that lift. Now all of those trails on that side of the mountain require you to ski to the base and take 2 lifts back up to ski them. This just makes the line in the Sunbowl even more of a disaster.

steamboat1

I've only skied there under the current lift system and definitely agree on the the Snowbowl lift. It would appear they really screwed up with the the Shooting Star lift. They should've just replaced the old Kidderbrook with that lift. Now all of those trails on that side of the mountain require you to ski to the base and take 2 lifts back up to ski them. This just makes the line in the Sunbowl even more of a disaster.
If they would have run the Shooting Star lift further down the mountain skiers right of where it's located now not only would it have eliminated the blind left turn to get to it but it would've been accessible to those skiing down from the Kidderbrook area.

As far as Snowbowl they rarely run it during the week & I for one don't mind slow fixed grip lifts. In fact the additional rest time is something I look forward to on occassion.

MadMadWorld

My complaint has nothing to do with the fact that I would have liked to see more Canadian mountains on the list. I just think it's ridiculous that the 2 mountains I mentioned don't even crack the top 25 in the west. There are plenty of mountains on that list that are not easily accessible either. Kicking Horse, Revelstoke, and Alyeska should all be in the top 25. Period.

cannonist

Not that I agree with it, but Waterville Valley captured the #12 spot, a huge advancement for them. They haven't been in the top 20 for a few years.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not that I agree with it, but Waterville Valley captured the #12 spot, a huge advancement for them. They haven't been in the top 20 for a few years.

Based on this, I tried SKI's link again and this time it worked so that I could see the other rankings (10-20) which are listed below:

11. Sugarbush
12. Waterville Valley
13. Bretton Woods
14. Stratton
15. Okemo
16. Mount Snow
17. Cannon
18. Snowshoe
19. Wildcat
20. Attitash

Source: http://www.skinet.com/ski/galleries/resort-guide-2013-east

Comment.....

4aprice

No one on this board has discussed Waterville's expansion plans which seem to be in the works. I find it interesting that most of the major expansion is going on in NH. I gotta get up there and check out the new terrain at Mittersill (I missed it back in the day) Loon, and now it looks like Waterville.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Smellytele

No one on this board has discussed Waterville's expansion plans which seem to be in the works. I find it interesting that most of the major expansion is going on in NH. I gotta get up there and check out the new terrain at Mittersill (I missed it back in the day) Loon, and now it looks like Waterville.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

There is a couple of threads on the expansion on here

rev bubba

Whenever I read a mountain review in Ski, I get the impression that the Food Channel must own the magazine because most of the articles are more concerned with quality and availability of food over actual skiing. With that criteria in mind, Tremblant probably is the number one eastern resort.

I've spent a week there and done some day trips out of Montreal and I always get the feeling that I'm at a Disney Resort. Disney is good at building fun resorts so calling it Disney-like is a compliment.

In the end, the place my friends and I always end up at, year after year, is Mad River Glen where we stay at the Barn, have breakfast with Betsey and the Barn Boys and drink cheap beer. If the skiing is marginal, we use it as our base and head to other areas.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Whenever I read a mountain review in Ski, I get the impression that the Food Channel must own the magazine because most of the articles are more concerned with quality and availability of food over actual skiing. With that criteria in mind, Tremblant probably is the number one eastern resort.

I've spent a week there and done some day trips out of Montreal and I always get the feeling that I'm at a Disney Resort. Disney is good at building fun resorts so calling it Disney-like is a compliment.

In the end, the place my friends and I always end up at, year after year, is Mad River Glen where we stay at the Barn, have breakfast with Betsey and the Barn Boys and drink cheap beer. If the skiing is marginal, we use it as our base and head to other areas.

I agree. They also do a lot of "product placement." I only read it because I get it for free, but it is so sad to see how the magazine has fallen into a demise from what it used to be. It got so bad that they would literally run an article in SKI one month, and then the next month or so, the same article, with some changes, would be in SKIING. Both merged a few years back.

I've turned to Backcountry and POWDER. Both are very substantive and very well done. I also picked up a copy of Freeskier and may even subscribe to that. So there are some good alternatives out there.