• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2pc surf cast rod

SKIQUATTRO

ok....total newbie to fishing, but since we've been spending some time taking the jeep out to race point (p'town, cape cod) i thought it'd be fun to get a surf casting rod and see what bites....i got a 9' rod/reel...its 2pc, my question is:

what is the best what to take it apart with line/leader on it and strap it together for transport?

Puck it

I mount the ski box to the FJ and put them inside when we go to ACK in the summer. I also put the golf clubs up there.

ctenidae

Short of cutting the line and winding it back up on the spool, there is no way to break down a 2 piece rod and store or transport it without it getting tangled up to some degree. Anyone who tells you differently either got lucky once, or is lying.

In general, I get the best results by folding the tip towards the handle- basically as if a hinge were in place at the join. Attach your leader to the post of your reel, and reel in the slack, then use velcro strips to attache the tip to the handle and the joint ends together.

When you get ready to fish again, remove the velcro, marvel at how line that hasn't, theoretically, moved in 2 weeks has turned into a rat's nest, fight with it for 15-20 minutes, or however long it takes for your wife/kid/dog to knock over your bait bucket, cut the line, rethread it and attach new leader.

SKIQUATTRO

thanks ctenidae......thats what i did, wanted to make sure there wasnt another way.....