• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

30 Jan 2024 Utah Smog

jimk

Resort or Ski Area
utah
Date
Jan 30, 2024
Snow Conditions
  1. Packed Powder
Photo taken from summit of Snowbird 930 AM 30 Jan:
clear valley from snowbird 30 jan 2024.jpg

Photo taken descending access road 230 pm same day
smog valley 30 jan.jpg

two feet of snow coming friday should clear the air :)

this seems to be kind of smog that clears at each day rather than inversion that stays for a week

thetrailboss

Staff member
We've been lucky the last few days that the inversion has not been too bad. The sun angle is starting to rise again. Inversion season will be over soon. Hoping that the active weather pattern stays in place. There are forecasts that do not look so great.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yeah, this week was really too warm for inversions. The air mixed out. Have you been here when we’ve had a really true “inversion“? It is so bad that it looks like fog.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Yeah, this week was really too warm for inversions. The air mixed out. Have you been here when we’ve had a really true “inversion“? It is so bad that it looks like fog.

There was one or two in December that were fog-esque. Those were my first experiences with the smog that thick! Wow! I distinctly remember turning on my car's fog lights to get to work.

thetrailboss

Staff member
There was one or two in December that were fog-esque. Those were my first experiences with the smog that thick! Wow! I distinctly remember turning on my car's fog lights to get to work.
Yeah, that is the "inversion".

Hope the snow train keeps coming. I saw a forecast that did not look good at all for Mid-February through Mid-March.