• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

75 Anniversary Thunderbolt Ski Race 3/13/10

Rambo

Found this video on youtube. Was kind of cold and very windy. Looks like many slalom poles placed in certain spots to slow skiers down. I thought the skill level of the racers would be higher but the surface was frozen and choppy.

Last edited:

skiadikt

only watched the 1st couple minutes but yeah surprised by how "bad" everyone looks. my only guess is that since none of the skiers are kicking up any snow, the conditions might have been quite slick. i'm thinking that most of the folks who either skinned or hiked the 2000+ vertical ft are pretty core and have skillz so it must have been the conditions. maybe someone who was there will weigh in.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The race was open entry meaning skills ranged the entire continuuim.
The course was extremely icy. Many highly skilled racers told me they
felt like rank amatuers. Several of the competitors live nearby and ski
this multiple times per week. Many folks were well over 60 years
of age. Others who came from afar had never seen the course until yesterday. this was way
more than a race. The whole community showed uP.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The race was open entry meaning skills ranged the entire continuuim.
The course was extremely icy. Many highly skilled racers told me they
felt like rank amatuers. Several of the competitors live nearby and ski
this multiple times per week. Many folks were well over 60 years
of age. Others who came from afar had never seen the course until yesterday. this was way
more than a race. The whole community showed uP.
several class a racers from the 40s showed up. Several hundred
spectators. Awards for best uphill time went to a tele at approx one. Hour.
Best dh time approx 3mins. Rain and hail conditions
They are already talking about next year. This. Will draw a higher level competitor.
That's all for now . Mostly new wet snow this am here in Adams Mass

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Remember rules of the game: no grooming, no modern safety "improvements"
gates were there to slow racers down.
The 50-60 people who post holed up the middle last Sunday rutted it up significantly
and the damage was done when it froze back up. Skied entirely diff than a week ago.

Mildcat

Those conditions look miserable. Was it like that way the whole way down or was it just that section? Watching the skis flutter around like that was making my feet hurt! Huge Kudos to the participants for completing the course. I'm kind of bummed for the organizers and the racers. It sounded like the crowd was still having a good time. Hopefully next year Mother Nature decides to help out.

goldsbar

Judging by the way a couple of the riders were sliding post fall, those looked like slick, hard conditions. Anyone can look good in some powder. Not so much on the off piste version of bumpy frozen granular. Good thing they had those slalom gates there or many of those guys would have been missing that bridge!

neil

Definitely looked like those snowboarders were hitting patches where their edges weren't engaging at all. One of times where having poles would help!

snowmonster

After my trip into the GOS last Friday, I sat in the Pinkham Notch ready room talking to an Adams native about BC options around the area. We spent a good ten minutes just talking about the Thunderbolt, Rudy Konieczny and "Purple Mountain Majesty." I'm inspired to do the 'bolt either this season or next!