• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A beer or drink at Lunch, a warming shot on the Lift, a sip in the Woods. Do you?? Don't you?? How far have you seen a person drink and Ski or ride??

skiur

Nothing wrong with a few cocktails and skiing, definitely a limit though.

Edd

Long thread title you’ve got there. Per the article, an average of 6 drinks sounds excessive and perhaps more indicative of how Europeans drink and ski. My norm is 2 or 3 while eating lunch and save the rest of it for après.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Pre Kids I'd be all about a 2 pint lunch and maybe 1 or 2 more mid afternoon. Then apres.

Hardly ever have beers when out with the kids and that's also meant I often don't drink or have considerably less when skiing with adult friends.

jimk

A ski day for me is a little like a workout session at the gym, only a lot more fun. I don't usually want to drink alcohol during the day, but glad to have a beer or two apres ski, usually out the back of my car in the parking lot. If I drink at lunch time, it generally means I don't intend to do much serious skiing in the PM.

Having said the above, one of my most relaxing memories from last winter was a day at Snowbird in late March. I will occasionally bring a few brews out on the hill in a backpack and stash them somewhere for later consumption. This day I had a couple bottles of Guinness outside Snowbird's Summit Restaurant. At about 2 PM me and buddie and I were winding down our day and I smuggled them into the Summit Building (outside drinks not allowed). We drank Guinness out of paper cups and enjoyed a good long look at this view. This photo was taken just before we sat down at table in background.'
snowbird summit beer 2022 march.jpg

Kingslug20

Don't drink anymore..but vt has some great NA beers now..so I'll be drinking those.

crank

I've skied with Jimk 3 or 4 times over the years and it seems to me he usually carries a flask with schnapps, good schnapps, that he shares at lunchtime. I've had a shot or 2 of his stash served in plastic condiment cups. lol

Back in the day I would often bring some beers in my pack and stash them off a trail to enjoy later in the afternoon.

There has been many a long lunch, especially in Europe where a few bottles of sine or steans of beer have been consumed. Not to mention on mountain apres we wobbled down from.

And then there was the Stowe gondola ride with a bunch of Russians who all had vodka which came out immediately and was possibly still in hand when exiting at the top. Pretty sure that wasn't their first such ride that day.

When I am buzzed on slope I feel that at least I know enough to take it super slow and easy. My goal at that point is just to get down and not hurt myself or anyone else.

slatham

Skiing is a natural high so I usually do not partake in anything during the day. This is especially true if skiing is really good and/or technical. Après-ski is a never-miss must for me. Bar, parking lot, back at condo, or all three (assuming no major post après drive).

cdskier

Most I'll do is a single drink with lunch if I happen to eat on the mountain. I prefer to save the majority of my drinking for after skiing...

Dickc

I’ve only done it once or twice in my life and found myself uncomfortable skiing after. I just don’t have one until I’m someplace safe for the rest of the day. I have very personal reasons to not drink and drive, and frown HEAVILY on others who do, even one beer is too many to drive on.

ThatGuy

Usually smoke half a joint around lunch then finish it later in the day. Max one drink if any while skiing because I feel like a danger to myself and others after more than that.

drjeff

If I'm having a drink (or drinks) on a ski day, my ski boots are off and I am done for the day now.

In the past I occasionally had a beer at lunch, especially if I was on a ski trip out West.

Drinking on a ski day has always been way more of an apres thing than a during thing for me

jimk

I've skied with Jimk 3 or 4 times over the years and it seems to me he usually carries a flask with schnapps, good schnapps, that he shares at lunchtime. I've had a shot or 2 of his stash served in plastic condiment cups. lol

Back in the day I would often bring some beers in my pack and stash them off a trail to enjoy later in the afternoon.

There has been many a long lunch, especially in Europe where a few bottles of sine or steans of beer have been consumed. Not to mention on mountain apres we wobbled down from.

And then there was the Stowe gondola ride with a bunch of Russians who all had vodka which came out immediately and was possibly still in hand when exiting at the top. Pretty sure that wasn't their first such ride that day.

When I am buzzed on slope I feel that at least I know enough to take it super slow and easy. My goal at that point is just to get down and not hurt myself or anyone else.
Oh, I forgot about schnapps. That's kind of a party thing for me, break it out when there's a good ski crowd.
About 20 years ago this guide in Austria turned me onto it. Zauchensee, Feb 2003:
zauchensee.jpg

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Now ....One at lunch one and a short nap ........Then .....Flashback to 1980 School ski trip to Mount St Anne ..... No adult supervision from leaving Pa. and back! In fact the teacher who ran the trip was stoned for 72 hours straight . I wasn't a stoner but did drink a lot ....hung over at breakfast almost barfed on the server LOL .
By lunch had a bunch of beers and was ready to ski again ? There was a trail roped off trail for a race , well not having been down it didn't know there was a huge roller at the bottom . I tucked it from the top must have been doing 60 when I crashed, fortunately I didn't hit anything and slid to a safe stop . I can't say I've witnessed anything remotely close to this level of alcohol abuse on skis since thank god . I'm amazed to have survived that weekend .

PAabe

I don't enjoy the experience at all. Skiing is exhilarating and drinking has the opposite effect.

Not knocking others if they are in control but not being at the top of my game is frustrating and concerning for me. A hot coffee or a cold Coca Cola is more my vibe on the hill

Afterward I'm definitely down for a good time if I don't have to drive!

machski

Only time I really have a beverage during a ski day is spring. One with lunch on the snow beach just seems right and helps the knees stay loose for the afternoon mogul sessions. Otherwise, a rarity fore or I'm calling it a short day and pretty much done after I raise a glass.