• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Adult Gloves with kiddie loops

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Not a sexy subject, but went shopping for new gloves first time in 15 years. Bought a pair that has these straps that slip over your wrists and tighten up. Now I can take off my gloves on the lift, while fishing around for something and not worry about losing them.

A clever, little feature that I never knew about and really appreciate

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I LOVE this feature. My mittens I've had for 4 years now have this feature. Never thought much about it until I bought a back-up pair at TJ Maxx recently. Didn't notice they didn't have the leashes on them and they're a pain to use at work.

bvibert

Staff member
Those leashes are great! Unfortunately my current pair doesn't have them.... :(

drjeff

I've got them on my spring gloves and my "artic" gloves(both Marmot) and LOVE them. It makes grabbing the digi cam easy, or any other time that you need to get into the jacket for something, especially on the chair a breeze!

Somehow though, even with "kiddie straps", my kid can still loose a glove quite easily :rolleyes:

cbcbd

I use my mitten's "idiot cords" or "keeper cords" (for the easily offended idiot) all the time - great for dropping for using my camera or whatnot.
Some jackets (although rare) even have a ring on the sleeve where you can girth hitch your gloves onto.

Smell the glove
200px-Smell_The_Glove.png

Paul

I use my mitten's "idiot cords" or "keeper cords" (for the easily offended idiot) all the time - great for dropping for using my camera or whatnot.
Some jackets (although rare) even have a ring on the sleeve where you can girth hitch your gloves onto.

Smell the glove

Now, how much more black can this be?

The answer is none. None more black.

hiroto

Not a sexy subject, but went shopping for new gloves first time in 15 years. Bought a pair that has these straps that slip over your wrists and tighten up. Now I can take off my gloves on the lift, while fishing around for something and not worry about losing them.

A clever, little feature that I never knew about and really appreciate

Since my son got a pair like that and making good use of it all the time on chairs,
I spent quite a bit of time looking for a pair for adults but never came across one.

What is the brand of yours and where did you find it?

Greg

Staff member
Marmot Piste Glove

Since my son got a pair like that and making good use of it all the time on chairs,
I spent quite a bit of time looking for a pair for adults but never came across one.

This is what I have:

http://www.backcountry.com/store/MAR0951/Marmot-Piste-Glove-Mens.html

Great glove. Super warm and the leashes really are a nice feature. They run a bit small though. I have an XL (normally wear a large). I went one size up in case I ever wanted to wear thin liners underneath (doubt I'd need to). Plus a little extra "air" doesn't hurt.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Smell the glove

Yes, was going to say that they are called "idiot cords" and they are great. You can make your own for a whooping $1.29 per pair by using cord from EMS and cord locks. I've made several for my mitts and gloves. Won't use a pair without them....

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Marmot

Marmot. Pinnacle Ski and Sport, Stowe, December

Call ahead to the shops. They are flying off the shelves since it got cold. We had to pickup some gloves for my daughter last night in Nashua and the wall of gloves was already half empty.

hiroto

Thanks for the info. I dropped by local EMS store and ALL their gloves had idiot cords. Never thought of EMS for skiing gear shopping.

but...

Yes, was going to say that they are called "idiot cords" and they are great. You can make your own for a whooping $1.29 per pair by using cord from EMS and cord locks. I've made several for my mitts and gloves. Won't use a pair without them....

That gave me an idea that I could do it myself. I dug out elastic waistband from sewing box and put it on a pair of gloves. $0.00 :razz:

drjeff

BTW, if you happen to be by Mount Snow, you can buy a pair that will clip onto any glove/coat. They have them in Mount Snow Sports (the ski shop in the Grand Summit Hotel) at the checkout desk(just ask for them). They're made by Kombi and cost $2.50 for a pair of them, and they even come in pink if you so choose ;)

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Thanks for the info. I dropped by local EMS store and ALL their gloves had idiot cords. Never thought of EMS for skiing gear shopping.
Funny you say that since that's where 95% of our soft ski gear comes from. They're usually the first place I think of for clothing, hats, gloves, etc... pretty much anything other than skis, boots, or bindings. And if you can wait til the end of the season, you can get some pretty good deals, too.

o3jeff

Another good place to pick up ski clothing and hiking stuff is Mickey Finns in Berlin. I found a lot of his stuff is priced as good as you can find it online. He also clearances his stuff out at the end of the season. I picked up my Marker Gore-Tex ski coat there last February for $99 on clearance.

cbcbd

Although yes, EMS has stuff to cater to skiers, I use my idiot cords on my mittens all the time while hiking in the winter - same thing, just drop them to handle the camera, water bottle, grab a snack, etc... skiers are not the only idiot winter outdoor enthusiasts ;)