• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Almost ski towns

rocks860

Downtown Waitsfield and Bridge St are both very much areas you can walk (not together though). By that logic though, does that mean Killington isn't a ski town? Lake Placid does have a nice walkable downtown area, but I don't think that alone is a requirement as it rules out a lot of places in the east.

You can't really walk from one place to another or walk from lodging to the grocery store or anything like that. I'd say it's a town for sure but not really a ski town

cdskier

Some of you people have some strange definitions of "ski towns". Lake Placid was cited in this thread as an example of a ski town and the mountain itself is about 10 miles away. Yet towns which have mountains actually in them aren't considered "ski towns" because you can't walk easily around them to shops and stores? I'd rather be able to walk/ski from my lodging to the mountain and have to drive to the downtown area to walk instead of being able to walk from my lodging to the grocery store...

Maybe I'm just crazy though. Personally I'm ok with considering Lake Placid, Killington, Waitsfield, Stowe, etc all "ski towns". To me as long as it is a destination area known for skiing that has some stores, restaurants, etc nearby then it is a "ski town".

yeggous

Some of you people have some strange definitions of "ski towns". Lake Placid was cited in this thread as an example of a ski town and the mountain itself is about 10 miles away. Yet towns which have mountains actually in them aren't considered "ski towns" because you can't walk easily around them to shops and stores? I'd rather be able to walk/ski from my lodging to the mountain and have to drive to the downtown area to walk instead of being able to walk from my lodging to the grocery store...

Maybe I'm just crazy though. Personally I'm ok with considering Lake Placid, Killington, Waitsfield, Stowe, etc all "ski towns". To me as long as it is a destination area known for skiing that has some stores, restaurants, etc nearby then it is a "ski town".

I completely disagree with you. I want a lively town with multiple ski options in easy driving distance. I feel like a prisoner staying at the mountain. I am obligated to eat at their restaurants and drink their beer.

If I stay in North Conway there are tons of dining and shopping options and several nearby mountains to choose from given the conditions and my mood that day.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

I completely disagree with you. I want a lively town with multiple ski options in easy driving distance. I feel like a prisoner staying at the mountain. I am obligated to eat at their restaurants and drink their beer.

I wouldn't consider that completely disagreeing with me. I wouldn't want to be somewhere that the mountain is the only thing around either. I wouldn't say any of the examples I provided would make someone feel like a prisoner staying on the mountain. Using the Mad River Valley as an example, I can stay in a condo at Sugarbush, yet easily go to numerous restaurants in town a few minutes away.

skiNEwhere

While I haven't been there, I think you could add Bozeman, MT to the list based off of what I've heard. 1 hour to Big Sky, 30 minutes to Bridger Bowl.

The town even has a blue light on top of one of their buildings that lights up when Bridger gets new snowfall.

@DHS, did you live in Colorado for a while? Just wondering since I've heard you make many references to CO ski areas

deadheadskier

Staff member
I lived at Keystone during the summer of 93. My brother lived in Fort Collins from 92-99, so I spent a lot of time out visiting him during that time.