• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alta, Deer Valley, Mad River Glen Must Allow Snowboarding, Court Rules

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I did hear some non-insider rumors about Wildcat potentially being opened up for snowboarders at Alta in exchange for the backcountry supporting Grizzly Gulch getting a lift. As far as far-fetched rumors go though, that's the farthest I could think of. But the Ikon rumor I heard was true so some locals are in the know.

I am honestly not opposed to snowboarders on Wildcat or Sunnyside... should that day ever come. However, as with pretty much all of Alta's cap-ex improvements, there's no need until the transportation woes are addressed. Until you can get another 500 cars up the canyon there's no need for a hsq on Wildcat, a Sunnyside 6, a Baldy tram, the Flora lift, or a larger Albion lot. IMHO, any increase in uphill capacity is unnecessary at the moment, as lift lines are always under 10 minutes even at peak periods with parking 100% sold out. Sunnyside currently is ski-on on weekends after 10:30am. Flora lift replacing the EBT would've been my (cheaper) go-to capex improvement. The mountain is broken without the EBT and it's usually the first item to go down during snowy times.

@'ing @thetrailboss and sorry for the thread de-rail (although it was an April Fools joke so.... was it ever de-railed??)

thetrailboss

Staff member
I did hear some non-insider rumors about Wildcat potentially being opened up for snowboarders at Alta in exchange for the backcountry supporting Grizzly Gulch getting a lift. As far as far-fetched rumors go though, that's the farthest I could think of. But the Ikon rumor I heard was true so some locals are in the know.

I am honestly not opposed to snowboarders on Wildcat or Sunnyside... should that day ever come. However, as with pretty much all of Alta's cap-ex improvements, there's no need until the transportation woes are addressed. Until you can get another 500 cars up the canyon there's no need for a hsq on Wildcat, a Sunnyside 6, a Baldy tram, the Flora lift, or a larger Albion lot. IMHO, any increase in uphill capacity is unnecessary at the moment, as lift lines are always under 10 minutes even at peak periods with parking 100% sold out. Sunnyside currently is ski-on on weekends after 10:30am. Flora lift replacing the EBT would've been my (cheaper) go-to capex improvement. The mountain is broken without the EBT and it's usually the first item to go down during snowy times.

@'ing @thetrailboss and sorry for the thread de-rail (although it was an April Fools joke so.... was it ever de-railed??)
No worries.

The six pack is an interesting topic. Five years ago or so the plan was a Chondola that would be used for summer events (weddings and gatherings). The headscatcher there was the leg of the journey from the end of the lift to Alf's. That said, it COULD be done using nice shuttle vans or something (maybe a 2 minute drive). Looks like they are giving up on that completely. I'd also wager that Leitner-Poma discounted a new Six-Pack in order to get another good high-viz lift almost in sight of SLC and Doppelmayr's HQ.

I think that the EBT lift has been approved. It is not at all long or expensive to do. I think it makes sense to get done.

I am happy to see that Sunnyside is going just up the road to Montana. I was kind of hoping that it would be the replacement for Wildcat. I like the detachable triple--a very unique lift.