• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anybody Else Hit Up Pico Today?

UVSHTSTRM

I opted for there instead of Killington today. I must say that even though it doesn't have a ton of variety like it's big brother, it definately has some great runs especially on a powder day. This is the 4th time I have gone there instead of Killington and didn't regret it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I will take Pico over Killington on a good snow day every time. Love Upper KA, the Outpost area, love A slope, Upper Giant Killer. I'm sure my opinion would be solidified even more if I knew the off map trees there. I just like the laid back Vibe over there more than Killington Grand Central.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I was planning on Magic but called a last minute audible due to what I believed would be better base depth and likely more trails. I hadn't skied Pico since 1999 or 2000. I completely forgot how flat the place is. I'll need to see some Magic reports depicting base and crowds before making a judgment on my decision. Suffice it to say that untracked goes REALLY quick at Pico. I think the majority of folks at line up were Killington pass holders working on day two. A nearly full lot was almost empty by noon time which leads me to believe Kmart regulars plundered the powder and then went back to Killington for its better terrain in the afternoon.

Plans got thrown out the window as the Summit lift was off line at the starting bell. Everyone not opting for Outpost (read: pretty much everyone) had a great groomer run for there first run back down to the Golden. Would have been nice if they notified customers of the lift situation before customers wasted a run. I got yelled at for trying to fill chairs being a single skier. They didn't have their coral setup yet and they expected everyone to wait their turn to load in 1s, 2s, 3s, of 4s with no regard for lift capacity. Unreal. They got the Golden Coral setup by 9:45a or so. By that time, Outpost had been pillaged.

Over at the summit lift, Line Up #2 was beginning. Chair spacing issues or some none sense. Ops was not prepared today, IMO. 10:15 finally go time. One run and done for the powder pretty much, then time to hunt. Hunting went well but waiting was the best policy. Best runs of the day were A-Slope when they opened it at 1pm with half the crowds already done and gone and most others not knowing Little Pico was online. A-Slope is one of the best trails in New England. I might put it in the top ten. Lots of options, very steep up top, lots of ledges and drops, deeeeeeeeeeeeeeep powder turns on untracked steeps. Pretty rare that my last six runs are my best runs on a powder day.

Its so weird that Pico has anything to do with Killington. Just a completely different mountain. Their tag line "Big Mountain Skiing and Small Mountain Charm" is spot on. Only Burke and Saddleback could compare with this place for a 2k vert mountain that skis like a mid-sized family mountain. Lots of great trails...

... but the mountain is a total pancake. Even the summit runs drop with good pitch to start but only for 1/3 of the trail then the lower 2/3 gets progressively flatter. Pico's summit lift has one of the worst cases of Vermont Disease. Outpost runs are awesome but so short. If the Double ran, it would be nice for lapping but skating back out and having to take the Golden and hike up for so little vert is kind of a pain. If I wanted to rip railroad tracks, Pico will be high on my list. But for a dense powder day, it leaves a little to be desired.

I had a great day. I just wish Pico didn't share Killington passholder rights and I wish the mountain could get tipped over by about 5% more.

Oh man, A-Slope though... that made my day. :D

deadheadskier

Staff member
Was Upper Giant Killer open? I certainly wouldn't call that trail flat. I've never had the opportunity to ski the old poma lift line next to either, which looks like a lot of fun from a distance.

Not that they'd ever in invest the money, but I think they should take out the Outpost chair and reallign the Golden to go from the base to the top of the Outpost. I know it's not that hard to skate up to the Outpost, I just think the lower mountain would ski better / more interesting with that alignment.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Upper Giant Killer was open. Little rocky up top but not too bad. It is steep You are right that Upper is not flat but the lower part is flat. The upper mountain doesn't stay steep for much vert. I can't think of another 2k vert mountain that is as "long" top to bottom. It has steeps, but they are very short stretches. Even its best steeps on A-Slope flatten out half way down. There just aren't any sustainable steeps longer than 400-500' vert and even its steepest isn't that steep which is why they rank A-Slope as a double black... its noticeable steeper than anything else there. And I am going to plead the 5th on the T-bar line thing. Needs more snow.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Plans got thrown out the window as the Summit lift was off line at the starting bell. Everyone not opting for Outpost (read: pretty much everyone) had a great groomer run for there first run back down to the Golden. Would have been nice if they notified customers of the lift situation before customers wasted a run. I got yelled at for trying to fill chairs being a single skier. They didn't have their coral setup yet and they expected everyone to wait their turn to load in 1s, 2s, 3s, of 4s with no regard for lift capacity. Unreal. They got the Golden Coral setup by 9:45a or so. By that time, Outpost had been pillaged.

I think it's important to note that it's tough for areas to get up and running on time on days like this...if you look around at all of the entities that close on such days, it's not hard to see that hourly, seasonal employees not making much money may not get to the mountain early (or on time) in storm/post storm driving conditions to help get things operational. As a result, you spend much of the day playing catchup.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I think it's important to note that it's tough for areas to get up and running on time on days like this...if you look around at all of the entities that close on such days, it's not hard to see that hourly, seasonal employees not making much money may not get to the mountain early (or on time) in storm/post storm driving conditions to help get things operational. As a result, you spend much of the day playing catchup.
That might be true if the storm were last night and they were still cleaning up. The fact is that the storm was winding down by dinner time yesterday, everyone has already dug out, and the roads were all perfect. I have been in line up for first chair for a LOT of powder days at many different locations... often times hot on the heels of a storm still blowing. I've seen resorts struggle with things I meant expect them to struggle with. I am not just mouthing off because I was disappointed in their efforts. I am saying it like it is... there was some management blunders made this morning. I don't normally peg ski areas for such things especially on powder days. But no entities were closed this morning up there... they weren't opening hot on the heels of or during a storm.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
That might be true if the storm were last night and they were still cleaning up. The fact is that the storm was winding down by dinner time yesterday, everyone has already dug out, and the roads were all perfect.

Ah, okay. I was making that assumption based upon the Lakes Region today...looks like S. VT still had closings and delays, but not the Rutland area.

Black Phantom

That might be true if the storm were last night and they were still cleaning up. The fact is that the storm was winding down by dinner time yesterday, everyone has already dug out, and the roads were all perfect. I have been in line up for first chair for a LOT of powder days at many different locations... often times hot on the heels of a storm still blowing. I've seen resorts struggle with things I meant expect them to struggle with. I am not just mouthing off because I was disappointed in their efforts. I am saying it like it is... there was some management blunders made this morning. I don't normally peg ski areas for such things especially on powder days. But no entities were closed this morning up there... they weren't opening hot on the heels of or during a storm.

The reality is that both Killington and Pico are extremely short staffed. It is getting worse and not better. The focus at K currently is the Dew Tour.

They have been bailed out by Mother Nature twice thus far this season.

mondeo

I was there, agree with Steve. Everything on map was choppy after an hour, and the trees off the summit quad don't get thin enough until after the steep section. Unfortunately I lost my pass first run, and I didn't want to waste time getting another one so I kept to the summit for too much of the day. My last run was hiking up to the Outpost chair and skiing the woods that are apparently OOB (thought there was another trail to the left they would dump out onto..) By far the best run of the day with sustained decent pitch untouched, just went too far down and too far to the left, resulting in a hike. Wish I would've realized little Pico was open.

deadheadskier

Staff member
They weren't scanning passes at the Upper lift? The two times I've been to Pico in recent years they checked it every time. Even the day you and I skied there when there was only like 100 ppl on the mountain.

UVSHTSTRM

I agree, the bottom 1/3rd or so of Pico is extremely flat and becomes much more noticeable on a powder day.

As a side note, Thursday was really made great at Pico with the discovery of $3.50 drafts at the bar. Outside of bringing your own, you really can't beat that. Typically I keep a ten spot on me for a beer, tip and some money left over for so I can grab a NA drink at the mom and pop on the way home. However my ten got me two beers, tip, and money for NA drink.