• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Anyone looking to get their little one (4-6 years old) on skis for the first time?

Madroch

I started both for the first few days- when they could stand and wedge turn I put them in lessons... Fond memories of those first fee days....

Savemeasammy

I started my older boy when he was 5, and he took to it rather naturally, so I don't think lessons would have been as important for him. I started my younger boy last year at age 4. He is more timid, and tends to me more of a "clinger". For him, I can see a possible benefit in having someone he doesn't know teaching him. Both boys are signed up for lessons as part of a school-related program starting in January. I am curious to see how much our little guy improves (last season we had him wearing a backpack with straps for the parent to hold. He has little to no concept of how to slow down on his own!).

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

123kathleen

Your kids desire to ski in the future will be greatly influenced by their first few experiences (like most things). If you don't have a ton of energy and are very patient..leave the job to the professionals. The pro's know how to make it really fun for the kids, they are with other kids, play a lot of games , know when to stop for cocoa versus pushing a kid too far. I tried it on my own and it was hard, three days in a kid-camp program they were skiing intermediate trails with confidence and smiles.