• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Attitash Pushed Back Opening Day to Saturday ---- Help.

BeanoNYC

Alright ... So to make a long story short, I won a trip to Attitash that needs to be used on "lower than 80% Grand Summit Occupancy" and before December 24. I'm a teacher and can't get away midweek in December. We booked our trip for Friday/Saturday. My buddy and I are eager to ski Friday. What's our best bet for skiing near Attitash? Our wifes don't want to ski Friday but are looking to do some Chritmas shopping in tax free NH. Essentially, they need to drop us off, be able to find someplace to shop, then pick us up. Too tall of an order? Suggestion from my AZ friends, please. I'm thinking BobR or Austin may have some ideas. Oh ... we're coming in from NYC and I have an ASC pass ... if that helps...How far in SR from Attitash?

dmc

Wildcat reopens saturday so thats not an option...

How about Sunday River...?? It's a little over an hour away - or so I'm told..

Of you could hike up and ski the Sherbrune Trail and check out Tucks

Talisman

Bretton Woods is close by futher West on Rt 302 and had some terrain open. Sunday River is about 75 minutes away via Rt 16 North and take a right in Gorham onto Rt 2 east, the SR access road is off of Rt 2.

The drinking option is to go to the Moat Mtn Brewery and drown your sorrows after doing some shopping for a nice gift for your wife so she will let you go skiing when there is lots of snow.

BeanoNYC

Talisman said:
The drinking option is to go to the Moat Mtn Brewery and drown your sorrows after doing some shopping for a nice gift for your wife so she will let you go skiing when there is lots of snow.

LMAO! Good Idea .... I'll have to check out Bretton Woods

dmc said:

I thought of that too. I'll run it by my buddy.

I'm also thinking about hitting up KMART for the day then driving into Attitash that night. Decisions Decisions! Thanks.

LVNLARG

Too bad Cranmore isn't open yet. North Conway is just a few mins from Attitash a perfect days worth of outlet shopping and the mountain is a great "larger than I thought" 1 day experience located basicly in the middle of town. Everything is all so close it would be no big deal for you to all have lunch together mid day on or off the hill. My sister and I skiied there one spring day and basicly had the whole place to ourselves and a groomed up mountain covered in the best spring corn snow I've ever skied. At that time there were also 2 or more large ski shops in town that are worth an evening visit. Have a good one where ever you end up :beer:

awf170

dmc said:
Wildcat reopens saturday so thats not an option...

How about Sunday River...?? It's a little over an hour away - or so I'm told..

theres no way the sherburne will have enough snow, it might be skiable but there will be so serious base damage(atleast on the lower half). It might be worth the hike anyway though. You could hike up wildcat and ski the patch or do the same at attitash. Or ski bretton, but it will be totally flat and lame. Drive to cannon and hike up with riverc0il?

Edit: 10 inches in tux.
http://www.mountwashington.org/backcountry/index.php

Might be possible to ski if the storm tommorow is really good. I think I would rather ski a snowmaking patch with nice base rather then hitting a lot of rocks though.

Skifastsailfast

ASC pass reminder

You mentioned the ASC pass and several people mentioned SR. Don't know which level pass you have, but if it's Bronze, keep in mind this Friday and Saturday are blackout days.

Glad I checked this cause I was considering skiing at the Loaf Friday. Oh well...not that much terrain open anyway.

BeanoNYC

Re: ASC pass reminder

Skifastsailfast said:
You mentioned the ASC pass and several people mentioned SR. Don't know which level pass you have, but if it's Bronze, keep in mind this Friday and Saturday are blackout days.

Glad I checked this cause I was considering skiing at the Loaf Friday. Oh well...not that much terrain open anyway.

Nah ... it's a gold pass. I think we may hit Mount Snow or Kmart on the way up. Now I have to find some shopping outlets in VT for the ladies.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'd say go to Cannon, but they're only giving bad lip service and no skiing/riding. So that leaves 'the River which is about 1-1:15 away from Attitash...not a bad option. Better yet, let the wife shop in Conway while you ski....Attitash this time of year is not too thrilling IMHO. Better than nothing...

BeanoNYC

uphillklimber said:
I suspect that Sunday River will honor Attitashes pass since they are not open. I have seen them do this in yearsw past. Give em a call at customer service at Sunday River. GO to their website and click on contact us.

An ASC pass is good for SR as well. TB...This is the only time I can use that free trip. The voucher expires on 12/24/2005 ..... I wish I could hit it up in February, but they won't let me.

sledhaulingmedic

Talisman: Great call on Moat Mountain! The smoked brisket makes excellent beer ballast.

SR is about an hour from Attitash (302 to 16 North to 2 East...113 is far more scenic, but is closed for the winter.)

AWF: Have you ever ACTUALLY skied the Sherburne trail?

awf170

sledhaulingmedic said:
AWF: Have you ever ACTUALLY skied the Sherburne trail?

nope, but I know there was only about 5 inches of snow at the base of wildcat, which would make it pretty nasty, even though it is grassy. The tux stake got another 8 inches yesterday bringing the base at 3,800 ft to 18 inches. So it might actually be pretty good now depending on how much the base got(they most likely got the same too)

BeanoNYC

We skied Bretton Woods on Friday. The top of the mountain was closed but the snow was great. Ducked a rope towards the end of the day and found some nice powder. Attitash yesterday and today. Nothing realy open. Took many runs on Tightrope and down their mainline to the bottom. (sorry I didn't look at a trailmap and don't know what trails other than tightrope that was open. I can't give a good TR, but I have some good shots I'll post) It felt real good to be skiing. The Mount Washington Valley is breathtaking! As an aside, I was watching RSN and called in on a trivia question (What color is the flower of a horseradish plant? ... White) I won a pair of goggles! That felt good. I'll be certainly be skiing in NH again! (I really want to check out wildcat) Thanks for the help

LVNLARG

BeanoNYC said:
As an aside, I was watching RSN and called in on a trivia question (What color is the flower of a horseradish plant? ... White) I won a pair of goggles! That felt good. I'll be certainly be skiing in NH again! (I really want to check out wildcat) Thanks for the help

Is it my imagination.....or were you winning goggles... while on a trip...that you won. Ever consider buying some lottery tickets ? :lol:

sledhaulingmedic

Glad to hear you enjoyed the trip. I keep forgetting how good the view from BW is. (Although Wildcat does have it beat.)

Sounds like you'll be covered for a travel advisor in the "when you win the lottery" department. Have you considered having your own personal sledhauler?

BeanoNYC

sledhaulingmedic said:
Glad to hear you enjoyed the trip. I keep forgetting how good the view from BW is. (Although Wildcat does have it beat.)

Sounds like you'll be covered for a travel advisor in the "when you win the lottery" department. Have you considered having your own personal sledhauler?

LOL, no not yet .... but you'll have right of first refusal if I ever need one. ;)