• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Challenge 2011: Bruce Schmidt of Okemo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Bruce Schmidt, General Manager of Okemo, has agreed to participate in the 2011 AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge!

The AlpineZone Challenge is your chance to offer up questions, suggestions or praise to the people who run the mountains in the northeast. For more information on the challenge itself, please see the stickied post at the top of the forum.

We will pick ten of the questions asked here and submit them for review and response, and post them in the Challenge area when complete!

Caveats: we may edit/change your question for grammar, tone, or something similar. Questions may be merged. If we don't get to all the questions, we will encourage followup from the representatives, but no promises.

Please be respectful as well to those answering questions - please refrain from asking specifics about skier visit numbers, financials, demographic information, etc. as these may be confidential to the mountain.

Okemo Profile

2004 AZ Challenge Results

mediamogul

I didn't visit okemo last year but heard that the mountain showed a commitment to seediing moguls on a number of trails. Is there any plan for expansion of dedicated mogul runs or designated ungroomed runs left natural? Also does the mountain have any plans for expanded glades or expert terrain?

bobbutts

Any plans to improve the intersection of Rimrock and Catnap?
Due to the skier traffic and angle of that turn, I find it almost impossible to carry enough speed to reach the South Face chair without walking.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Has Okemo reached 'full build out' in terms of trail expansion or does the mountain have development rights to increase it's terrain acreage beyond the current ski area boundaries.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've enjoyed live music at Jackson Gore on Friday evenings several times over the past few summers. I've always been curious why have the music on Friday instead of Saturday? For folks visiting from, many people don't arrive until after the music is done for the night. I would think the turn out would be better on Saturdays.

Morewood

Have you considered moving the annual slush cup back to the main base area? It seems to be a better vibe with the Sitting Bull and The Loft right there? Also, any plans to continue updating the main base area?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ludlow got hit pretty hard by Hurricane Irene. Can you outline the damages from the storm at Okemo and was any the damage significant enough to affect operations for the upcoming season?

Status
Not open for further replies.