• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Nerdz: Wifi Thermostat

mlctvt

Well the Wifi thermostat works great . We just walked into a WARM condo tonight. The first time since we bought the place back in 2005 . At noon today I used the andoid app hit the "end away" button and that was it, 5-6 hours later the place is nice an toasty.

skiNEwhere

I bought the Honeywell RTH6580WF wifi thermostat a few months ago for about $110 (Can't remember exact price). It's not pretty like the nest thermostat, but it gets the job done and beats the hell out of the old mercury thermostat I had.

The only tricky part of the installation was the C-wire, which provides power to the unit. If you have an old mercury thermostat, there may not be one in the wall when you take it off and you'll have to run a wire to your furnace. Thankfully I have a crawl space which made it relatively easy.

drjeff

I bought the Honeywell RTH6580WF wifi thermostat a few months ago for about $110 (Can't remember exact price). It's not pretty like the nest thermostat, but it gets the job done and beats the hell out of the old mercury thermostat I had.

The only tricky part of the installation was the C-wire, which provides power to the unit. If you have an old mercury thermostat, there may not be one in the wall when you take it off and you'll have to run a wire to your furnace. Thankfully I have a crawl space which made it relatively easy.

We discovered the old mercury thermostat, lack of a c-wire issue a couple of years ago when my wife and I wanted to install a wireless thermostat in our place in VT.

unfortunately we don't have an easy access situation between our main thermostat and our furnace :( Even super handy Glenn upon seeing our situation was like "oh, you're screwed!" (And that was before I started handing him his beloved PBR tallboy cans! :beer: ;) )

The next time my wife and I need an electrician for some renovation work, we'll have him/her run a c-wire, until then we get up to VT, open the place up, turn up the thermostats, quickly unpack the car and then go out to dinner while the place warms up.

1st world problem for sure ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I have two nests and like them a lot. They were only 100 each after rebate. They were on sale and the older model.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

wa-loaf

I have two nests and like them a lot. They were only 100 each after rebate. They were on sale and the older model.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

Do you think the guy wasn't using it right or had a bad one? I'd hate to go on a trip and come back to frozen pipes.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I've never had that problem thankfully. It's always worked well for me. Surprisingly the reviews on Amazon and such are pretty overwhelmingly positive. It seems this guy was sort of screwed.

mlctvt

My Vt condo thermostat didn't have the C-wire so I just ran a wire to a wall-wort transformer plugged into a wall outlet nearby. Yes there is a wire runnign down the wall but at our place the thermostat was near a door so I ran the wire down the door trim. We have wood walls so snaking wires in the wall is a real pain.

Glenn

We discovered the old mercury thermostat, lack of a c-wire issue a couple of years ago when my wife and I wanted to install a wireless thermostat in our place in VT.

unfortunately we don't have an easy access situation between our main thermostat and our furnace :( Even super handy Glenn upon seeing our situation was like "oh, you're screwed!" (And that was before I started handing him his beloved PBR tallboy cans! :beer: ;) )

The next time my wife and I need an electrician for some renovation work, we'll have him/her run a c-wire, until then we get up to VT, open the place up, turn up the thermostats, quickly unpack the car and then go out to dinner while the place warms up.

1st world problem for sure ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

After a few PBRs, I may be able to run a C-Wire for you. :lol:

drjeff

After a few PBRs, I may be able to run a C-Wire for you. :lol:

Sounds like a job that requires an appearance from "Gordon" :) And maybe some video of a random kid pretending to approve of Jaeger bombs endorsed by our favorite-o-witz Mount Snow "character" :lol: :)

Come to think of it, I should probably just buy us t-shirts like this ahead of time!

il_570xN.286594350.jpg

Glenn

LMAO! I can make it happen Jeff! It'll either work...or make for some solid footage.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Hello Gents
Another sugestion to the No "C" problem.
Buy a Wifi capable thermostat with a remote sensor, mount your thermostat on your heating unit and find the "C " side of the transformer.
remove the old t-stat and install the remote in it's place and program thermostat accordingly or buy a wireless remote.
Hope this helps
http://www.networkthermostat.com/thermostat/ge22-wifi

Geoff