• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bad Tune?

Madroch

So, had my twisters out for the first time (yikes) this season... long story, but anyway, had them tuned to start the year... had them in ice bumps and other firm spots- they were useless... ran my finger over the edges-- they seemed quite sharp-- is it bad angle? Something else? While I would usually attribute it to my poor skiing.. this was really awful... like being on banana peels... I also don't think it is merely the ski (coming off my RC's which run on rails on ice, anything can seem a bit loose).. again- just too sloppy..

thoughts? advice?

o3jeff

Probably, I had a pair of skis tuned last year and I had a hard time turning/skidding them afterward, brought them back they did something to them then they were perfect again. Why I hate bringing skis to get tuned especially if you don't have a day to try them at a local hill before you head up north and have to suffer on them all day.

MarkC

Sounds base high. Take a straight edge and lay it flat on the ski. Are the edges lower than the base of the ski?

Madroch

Sounds base high. Take a straight edge and lay it flat on the ski. Are the edges lower than the base of the ski?

I'll check tonight... if they were base high would they have grabbed when put well up on edge... I thought they may have bit a little when way way over-- -- but I was too tentative due to lack of confidence to really tip em over and press for fear I would end up careening down hill on my side.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Bad tune, had a season tune with a shop in Killington, for two years they could not get the edges right. Not sure what they did but for sure it was the tune. One time after getting them tuned, my wife couldn't hold an edge at all. I took the skis to the shop at the lodge, quick tune and they were great. Another time the same thing, tuned them myself, they were great. After awhile I just told them not to touch the edges, still took the skis in to get them waxed, but did the edges myself, never had a problem again.

Highway Star

Base edge bevel has the biggest effect on how a tune feels. Too little and you can't skid the ski, too much and you can't find an edge. Most shops don't keep their edgers in very precise alignement, so you tend to get inconsistant results.

Morwax

Sounds like they may have forgotten to do anything to them..or detuned tips and tails too aggressively. I dont detune at all..give me all the edge I can get and learn how to use it.

Bacon

I would invest in a vice and some basic tools. That way you can put any bevel on the skis that you would like and they will be consistent. There are a few good books out there on tuning basics. Practice on some older skis to get the feel. Thgen you can tune them as often as you want, and save a bit of money in the long run. Then you will only need to use a ski shop for larger services such as stone grinding. Matt