• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre 3-3-13

legalskier

Conditions: powder, pp, groomed
Temp on arrival: 20

The trees are back!
I was so surprised by how much snow Belle picked up since the last time I went that I didn't think anyone would believe me, so I took a bunch of pics. I spent much of the day in the trees, constantly finding at least 4" of fresh pow that must have settled in there on top of a deep base after many small snow squalls. It snowed all day long while the sun kept trying to break through the thin cloud cover providing the delightful phenomenon known as sun snow. Also took a few runs down the new skier cross trail, which was a lot of fun; lots of kids were racing each other there. Liftlines were barely noticeable the entire day.

3-3 uppr Belle glades.jpg
Belleayre Glades above midstation

3-3 uppr Wini trees.jpg
Upper Winisook, right

3-3 Cathedral Brk.jpg
Cathedral Brook

3-3 Alg Peek trees.jpg
Upper Algonquin/Peekamoose trees

3-3 Big T glades.jpg
Big T Glades (Peekamoose in background)

Last edited:

legalskier

Here are some more:

3-3 Tbar.jpg
T-bar line

3-3 Liftline.jpg
Tomahawk liftline

3-3 Tongora.jpg
Tongora

3-3 Wanatuska.jpg
Upper Wanatuska

3-3 Wana bumps.jpg
Wanatuska bumps

Last edited:

legalskier

Thanks- they came up fine when I posted, but not now. I'll try to fix that later at home.

Bene288

Sorry you didn't like Platty.

I loved the place! It's a classic hill with some challenging terrain. I just like the glades at Belleayre better. The trees at Platty are interesting, the best ones I found were on the left side. There was some seriously deep powder, all untracked and some very technical
skiing, but I was told of you get lost over there you could end up 30 miles away. I found that the bike trail glades were chute width. The place is awesome and the place reminds me a bit of Magic, I just like a little more vert is all!

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I loved the place! It's a classic hill with some challenging terrain. I just like the glades at Belleayre better. The trees at Platty are interesting, the best ones I found were on the left side. There was some seriously deep powder, all untracked and some very technical
skiing, but I was told of you get lost over there you could end up 30 miles away. I found that the bike trail glades were chute width. The place is awesome and the place reminds me a bit of Magic, I just like a little more vert is all!

You got to know where to look. These are some of Platty's woods on Sunday 3-3-13:

8530276452_5d9dc1553e.jpg

8529165031_b19c4de163.jpg

8530278694_3b06d293a2.jpg

Bene288

I was definitely in that first one. I remember that boulder with the ramp looking piece going up it. They were certainly fun. I was surprised how much snow was on the ground. The woods had better coverage than some of the steeper trails!

BenedictGomez

To be fair, neither Belleayre nor Platty are really fantastic options for glades. Gotta go north for the badazz tree skiing.

Abominable

Platty (3/1), in response to BD, although we better stop blowing up our spot!

Abominable

True... thanks to Legalskier for this report though, haven't been to Bell since I was a kid and you've motivated me to get back there soon.