• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Berkshire East 1/8/11

reefer

Had to get back for a party but wanted to keep the skiing momentum going, so I hit up something quick and no frills. Was looking for a mellow morning and the BEast delivered! Hadn’t been in a while and it looked like they would have a few inches of fluff to fool around in. Arrived early for a front row parking spot with some light snow falling. Booted up and was out pretty early. No-one was rushing to get out there! What a laid back place.
Found enough stash on skier’s right of Competition, Flying Cloud, and Big Chief to keep it entertaining. All other blacks were closed. Skied 8:30 – 1:00.
Lots of kid programs going on. Amazing amount of families. Was skiing right onto the triple all morning Saturday - but there was still a good crowd there! I can’t see why this couldn’t be going on at Magic. The “local” feel was amazing. Nobody was looking for high speed lifts or slope side lodging, just some nicely groomed intermediate stuff, and an awesome racing and ski school program. Haven’t seen so many mothers reading or doing homework in the Lodge in a long time…………………….classic. I think I’m one of the few that drove more than an hour to get here.
Can’t wait to come back when the rest of the hill is open. If I would have been able to stay in the afternoon I would have brought out the rock skis for some of that reserved. Did one run with a be-friended local (wearing a season pass) on some reserved which was a lot of fun, but just too bony for my Recons……..
Long live the BEast! How about some snow…………………………………….

In the front row:
dscn3437.JPG

Early lift ride, at least it's starting to look like winter:
dscn3420.JPG

My private first run:
dscn3417.JPG

The Rustic Lodge:
dscn3427.JPG

Was a fun morning:
dscn3424.JPG

Impressive windmill owned by the Beast. At least twice the size as Bolton Valleys. Should be working soon from what they say...............
dscn3433.JPG

Last edited:

persee

Was at the b-east myself yesterday. First time. Will definitely be back. :snow:

Now for some additional snow to open more of the terrain...

zinger3000

Is the windmill new? I don't remember seeing it there last time I went, two seasons ago.

I drive over an hour and a half to get there. Well worth it.

Warp Daddy

Never been there but drove past it last fall on the way home from my daughter's home in 495 land . We purposely decided to drive home that way instead of taking our usual 4 laner , high speed trip to 495 land.

looks awesome , we really enjoy the vibe of local areas !! It's like skiing USED to be be fore the glitz

Steve

I've never been, but I'm not more than 75 mins away.

It's on my to-do list for a Saturday soon.

gotta love that old school retro feel you described.

Thanks!

Steve

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Is the windmill new? I don't remember seeing it there last time I went, two seasons ago.

I drive over an hour and a half to get there. Well worth it.

It is brand new. Jon Schaefer, son of the owner, along with his two brothers have made significant investments to their infrastructure in the last 3-5 years. Jon came to our December meeting and described the progression - you missed a good meeting. One of the brothers made big bucks on Wall Street, then came back and is investing it into the mountain in everything from trail improvements to snowmaking. The turbine will provide 100% of BE's electric needs and will feed the remainder into the power grid, making $$ in the process.

Last edited:

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Never been there but drove past it last fall on the way home from my daughter's home in 495 land . We purposely decided to drive home that way instead of taking our usual 4 laner , high speed trip to 495 land.

looks awesome , we really enjoy the vibe of local areas !! It's like skiing USED to be be fore the glitz

I grew up skiing at the BEast...when it was known affectionately as Berkshire Ice. :)) I went back last year for the first time in about 28 years. I love it there!

Warp...how awesome is the drive between Charlemont, where the BEast is located, and North Adams. I think it could be one of my favorite roads that I've ever been on!!

bigbog

I grew up skiing at the BEast...when it was known affectionately as Berkshire Ice. :)) I went back last year for the first time in about 28 years. I love it there!

Warp...how awesome is the drive between Charlemont, where the BEast is located, and North Adams. I think it could be one of my favorite roads that I've ever been on!!

The Berkshires are nice..........whole area is pretty.

Warp Daddy

Right on target Marc !!! The Queen and i really enjoyed the Mohawk Trail scenery and we continued on thru the Pass into NYS to Troy then up thru the "Dacks to the St Lawrence and that was also some outstanding scenery . !!!!!!!!

carbonXshell

Website
vimeo.com

Do you know when they first allowed snowboarding. I went there once with some friends and they wouldn't sell me a ticket. It was some time after 85 but I don't remember the exact year.

deadheadskier

Staff member
nice

it won't be this winter, but I need to knock Beast off my list. I was in Quechee Friday night. I should've bagged my Saturday Pico plans and headed down south for Beast. Looks much better than what I scored at Pico.

Steve

Mohawk Trail

Try it on a motorcycle on a great fall day and it's even nicer.:wink:

Superbman

Great Photos...one of them has the back of my Helmet!

We need a good dump of snow to really bring the joint to life (B'east is a totally different area when the trees are open).

At least the left those big moguls on the top of Comp for a week and a half-we need to start an internet campaign to get a few full-time snowmaking based mogul trails at Berkshire East (I'd plug for UMASS and Grizzly/Upper and Mid Minnie Dole).

crank

I skied Beast my first and only time a couple of years ago when there was plenty of snow and all the trees were open. I've been wanting to go back but have been waiting for similar conditions. I think I would get bored without the glades and some woods to play in.

RISkier

When most of the terrain is open, B'East one seriously fun Mountain. It's old school, folks are friendly and laiod back, and ther's terrain for everyone.