• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Berkshire East 2-20-2016

bdfreetuna

Got there early, temps were expected in the low 50s and sunny and that's what we got. Maybe an inch of snow overnight gave things a nice coat, all trails were groomed and nice. Turned into loose corny granular pretty quick and made for a real fun day. Berkshire East has done a great job keeping trails covered edge to edge on everything that has snowmaking.

Only woods that were "skiable" were Blizzard Island, it was very thin in there but they do a good job clearing it out so not many obstacles. There were another half dozen people skiing it same time I did.

There was a very large college race meet today apparently with racers from many states. Never seen a slalom course the entire length of Competition before, even when I used to race there. Looked pretty high level.

Great day for fast skiing on runs like UMass > Lower Minnie Dole , Flying Cloud and Big Chief.

20160220_120846.jpg20160220_110444.jpg

20160220_100700.jpg20160220_120857.jpg20160220_131242.jpg

reefer

Thanks for the report. Nice pics. Pretty sure I'm heading over there for a few turns tomorrow. Hope for half as nice a day tomorrow as today was.

ScottySkis

I like the hill I only been their once definitely reminds me of Platty not as steep as blockbuster but good diamond runs nice vibe no flat run out I be. Back.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

bdfreetuna

I like the hill I only been their once definitely reminds me of Platty not as steep as blockbuster but good diamond runs nice vibe no flat run out I be. Back.

Haven't skied Platty but I've biked there a couple times. I think upper UMass, Grizzly and of course "The Beast" are as steep as anything at Plattekill, no?

ScottySkis

I don't know only ski Bershirke e once but it didn't look steeper

Superbman

Plattekill and B'East are similar…except the world class ,modern snowmaking that covers most of B'East. Biking wise, they couldn't be more different: B'East is very new school with a touch of unique NewEngland DH single track and Plattekill is, well, White Knuckle Old school…which isn't a bad thing and it will always have it's hard core adherents.