• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Berkshire East, MA Thursday February 24, 2005

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Berkshire East, MA Thursday February 24, 2005
What a delightful time. I took my 8-year old daughter for a private skiing lesson and some low-stress skiing.

A 2 hour drive from metro Boston from Rte 128 along Route 2. Rte 2 midweek /opposite commute was very enjoyable. It had just snowed several inches the day before. First visit ever, so here's a different view (but no less positive) from the allegiant bunch on this forum!

As others have said, it's a real retro area, but all the facilities and equipment is up to date. If you're fond of the way skiing "used to be", you'll really enjoy it there. It's a combo of Yankee frugality (in some respects) with a fairly modern infrastructure and a marked lack of publicity and marketing.

The first thing you notice on arriving is that it is right off Rte 3. It's set in a picturesque valley; you can see the village and the river which runs through the valley, along with the in-service freight railroad from the slopes. That was very reminscent of skiing in Europe. (But the village is not a tourist village - it's a "regular folks" village, so don't go looking for apres-ski. You then drive into a more-than-ample cleared field parking lot, which had about 40 cars when I arrived at 9AM. The walk to the lodge was the most level/no slope walk I can remember anywhere. With a tree-lined route, it felt like a walk in a public park. . The owner takes the task of parking the cars (apparently this is renown.)

The lodge accommodations are generous, rows of picnic tables, lots of mothers with kids and coolers. A little quirky was the notion that you paid for lesson, lifts and rentals at an outside ticket booth. But it didn't really matter, there was no real ticket line to worry about, and they were fast an efficient.

Another thing you'll notice right away if you are from a metro area is how down-home friendly everyone is. And it's not a pre-programmed, coached civility. It's quite sincere.

Check out the old photos in the cafeteria serving line. You'll see several black and white photos from the 50's showing the original clearing of trails and construction of lifts. Another retro touch is that they still use REAL (can I say old-fashioned) phones which actually use bells!

While there were only two chairs running, there was never any real line to worry about.

Marketing. Or shall I say lack thereof? This area is relatively unknown in the Metro Boston area from where I lurk.. Management has been extremely reticent about embarking on promotional campaigns (read: Yankee frugality?). They really pitch to the locals. While this is great for those who know, it really doesn’t take advantage the potential. I had a long discussion with some staffers and walked away with a handful of $10 off discount ticket for you and your guests good any day the remainder of this season. If you want one, mail me a SASE (self addressed stamped envelope) to me. PM me for my snail mail address.

All the equipment is up to date. Lift service was modern, food service was modern.
The conditions were wonderful. The mountain at 1000’ reminded me somewhat of a combination Pat’s Peak and Mad River. Enough steep stuff to keep you busy, but really a good green and blue trail system.

Prices – pricing can’t be beat. Even the private lessons are inexpensive. Food prices are quite reasonable. Another retro was at the café cash register they don’t sell Kleenex tissue packs, they sell REAL handkerchiefs!

Lessons – my 8-year old had a private (no need to call ahead) lesson and told me afterwards it was the most fun lesson she ever had anywhere. And it showed. What she told me about – the quality and quantity of information and coaching left a big impression for her. She was delighted and I was pleased. And it didn’t break the bank.

Trails were well covered, thanks in part to the recent snows. I did notice however, that things were selectively groomed. Not everything was corduroy, especially not the black diamonds. The pace of everything also seemed slower.

They seem to have an extensive school race program, which comes to life in the afternoon. The kids were very down to earth, friendly and courteous; a refreshing change.

This is not a destination resort, no slope-side lodging (or lodging anywhere) to be seen.

It is a delightful place, low-key, a great place to learn. I think it’s a great place to go when you’re just starting out – maybe after a couple of never-ever lessons, this would be a good place. If you’re on a budget, definitely. If you’re a family of predominantly greens and blue skiers, this is good.

While I can ski the front four at Cannon with abandon, I equally enjoyed this change of pace also. The acid test for me is: “would you go back again?” The answer is an unequivocal “yes!”

thetrailboss

Staff member
Re: Wrong Date

billski said:
This review should have been for LAST THURSDAY - FEB 24. Oops...

Yeah...was going to say, how could you post a report for today??? Wireless internet while on the lift??? :wink:

I noticed the old pics as well. It is a nice place.

Greg

Staff member

billski said:
I changed it for you. BTW, you can edit your own posts...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

Thanks. Did you know that Wachusett and Loon have FREE wireless internet access in the lodges? I watched a couple of people try to work. Both people kept being distracted by all the falling kids, clothing, spilled drinks, etc. Seems like a good idea only on a slow day.
bt

thetrailboss said:
billski said:

Yeah...was going to say, how could you post a report for today??? Wireless internet while on the lift??? :wink:

Greg

Staff member
billski said:
I did notice however, that things were selectively groomed. Not everything was corduroy, especially not the black diamonds.
And for me, this is one of the biggest positives. Too often ski areas down this way just mow everything down. It's great to have some variable natural terrain. Considering the pitch of the mountain, you have an area that skis much bigger than it is and to me it feels like you're skiing further North in New England.

thetrailboss

Staff member

billski said:
Thanks. Did you know that Wachusett and Loon have FREE wireless internet access in the lodges? I watched a couple of people try to work. Both people kept being distracted by all the falling kids, clothing, spilled drinks, etc. Seems like a good idea only on a slow day.
bt

thetrailboss said:
billski said:

Yes, Pats Peak now boasts the same networking in their lodges.

You might have seen some of my coworkers there who "couldn't get into work" because of the snow :-? (skeptical looks).

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
One more thing

A couple more things to add.

Taking an interest in operations management., I always notice some of the more operational goings-on. As odd as it may seem, I noted the upgrade of the facilities in the men's room. This shows you management orientation. If they care this much about infrastructure, ordinarily low-budget operations have low-bud, kinda unclean facilities. Not here.

Another nice thing is that pretty much everything during the day is all on one level, including getting over to the first lift. This can be a real decision factor for older skiers or young families with a lot of gear to haul.

No Bogner ski fashions here. Pretty down-to earth. They have a bar upstairs, but it was closed when I was there.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Agreed. I really enjoyed the diversity. I hear the other Berkshire areas, a bit further south a-la Mass Pike are not as laid-back. I'll get to them, but it might not be this season. Comments?

Greg said:
billski said:
I did notice however, that things were selectively groomed. Not everything was corduroy, especially not the black diamonds.
And for me, this is one of the biggest positives. Too often ski areas down this way just mow everything down. It's great to have some variable natural terrain. Considering the pitch of the mountain, you have an area that skis much bigger than it is and to me it feels like you're skiing further North in New England.

Greg

Staff member
billski said:
I hear the other Berkshire areas, a bit further south a-la Mass Pike are not as laid-back. I'll get to them, but it might not be this season. Comments?
Jiminy (north of Pittsfield) has a much more "resorty" feel to it. Still a great hill though; decent amount of steep terrain, fast six passenger lift, decent fixed-grip quads, good snowmaking. But there's a ton of lodging, restaurants, a mini-village, etc. right on-site. It's sort of the antithesis to the Beast, but still a good place to ski.

Butternut (Great Barrington) is more of a cruiser hill. It's also very family-oriented, but can get crowded on holiday weekends.

Catamount (NY/MA border) has a throw-back feel sorta like the Beast. It's just a basic skier's mountain, but there is less terrain than the Beast, Jiminy, and even Butternut. They only have doubles so there could be a wait to load if it's busy.

The rest of the ski areas out that way are sub-1000' verticals and I haven't been to any of them. I hear Bousquet is good for night skiing.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
overview

Thanks Greg, that's a good overview. Most metro Boston skiers know nothing of these areas including me until last week. Some reviewers use the 600' threshold as to where the fundamental characteristics & style of the mountain change. I always used the 1000' level.