• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Socks For Hiking?

mochilero

After switching to running shoes and lightweight socks years ago, I stopped getting blisters. I don't mean fewer blisters. I mean haven't had one blister since I switched. Not even after a 110-mile 7-day trek in the Rockies, for example.

The socks I use are nylon dress socks from Wal-Mart. Cheap, and less than an ounce per pair. After using these for years now, my feet won't tolerate heavier, hotter socks. Even on colder trips I save the thick socks for sleeping only.

So which work best for the rest of you?

Steve

http://www.TheBackpackingSite.com

cbcbd

Lol, nylon dress socks? :D That's a new one I have to try. I have been using running shoes for a while now and there's no way I'll go back to boots... but as for socks I still wear the double pair - with a wicking liner on the inside and a regular wool or synthetic over that.

The first place that I tend to get blisters is on the back of my heels and if one of those two socks forms a hole in that area (and it's the first part to wear on a shoe for me) I'll probably get a blister on an uphilly day.

But I'm intrigued about the nylon dress socks system. I shall try that on my next day hike :)

Doug

thetrailboss

Staff member
Agree on SmartWool...more expensive, but Made In USA and good quality. I've had good luck with Fox River's trail models as well. I recall Backpacker Magazine doing a review on socks (and more pathetic was that I took their advice and it worked :eek:).

I've used Thorlo and EMS as well...the latter did not hold up as well.

For skiing I use SmartWool, EMS, Thorlo, and other skiing socks and they make a difference.

ctenidae

Nylon dress socks kind of makes sense- slick adn it wicks. Can't imagine they hold up very well, but I guess you can buy the 6-pack for $5, adn as light as they are, who cares how long they last- carry 3. I have mixed opinions on wicking socks as a second layer- seems the elastic and shape blow out in the middle of the day, so they always end up bunched around my toes.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
really thin ski socks do it for me. keeps the feet dry and feels fine on the feet. though i will go with cotton ankle socks if it's a good weather summer afternoon, but always bring back ups in case you go for a swim!

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
I bought my first few pairs of SmartWool socks about two years ago after hiking in either cotton :eek: or wool for years. Many props to the Smartwools. I've never had a problem with blisters or bunching problems with any type of sock, but they do seem to hold thier shape and cushion very well. My biggest problem is sweat and the Smartwools handle it as well as real wool, only less picky on my girly sensitive skin.

Smitty

ctenidae

Prickly wool is the reason I started wearing the liner socks, mostly just in the winter, but the non-itchy wools have eliminated the need, I think. I really only bust out the non-cotton socks for multi-day hikes. For an average day hike, cotton works fine for me. Maybe my feet don't sweat so much, or maybe I'm good at staying out of the water, but cotton hasn't hurt me yet.

SkiDog

I use a sock called Ingenious.. cant remember the supplier, but they have the "liner" sewn into them already...they work pretty well. After my 2 day trip this weekend with a 50lb pack, I am NEVER wearing boots again...im am going out today to buy Montrails trail shoes. boots blisterd me right up...and all the thru hikers I saw.....sneakers...one dude was even wearing like "walmart" velcro specials...I was SHOCKED...but he practically RAN past me....

M