• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

VTKilarney

Q Burke still shows midweek tickets for sale on Liftopia for the week of December 14th. Are they going to be open midweek, or is their marketing department asleep at the switch? If it is a screw up, hopefully nobody makes the drive only to find a closed ski area.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Q Burke still shows midweek tickets for sale on Liftopia for the week of December 14th. Are they going to be open midweek, or is their marketing department asleep at the switch? If it is a screw up, hopefully nobody makes the drive only to find a closed ski area.

Think of the positives--plenty of room! Good snow! Good parking! :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

The storm that is arriving today is going to have a huge impact on opening weekend. Temps will not allow for snowmaking after the storm hits. It remains to be seen how much rain, if any, we will get. Hopefully there will be very little rain.

SkiRaceParent

The storm that is arriving today is going to have a huge impact on opening weekend. Temps will not allow for snowmaking after the storm hits. It remains to be seen how much rain, if any, we will get. Hopefully there will be very little rain.

Agreed. It should still open but the precipitation type will prob dictate whether we are skiing on 3 trails or ~10.

VTKilarney

We got snow followed by rain. Net result was a couple of very wet inches of snow. Hopefully the mountain fared better.

VTKilarney

Here is a tentative list of trails that will be open this weekend:
East Bowl
Wilderness
Powderhorn
Carriage Road
Lift Line
Deer Run
Lower Doug's Drop
Mountain Marsh
McHarg's Cutoff
Dipper Doodle
Open Slope
Little Dipper
Lower Warren's Way
Upper Fox's Folly
Lower Fox's Folly
Upper Bear Den
Lower Bear Den
The Shoot
Upper Willoughby
High Meadows Pass
Sasquatch

The list seems somewhat ambitious given the damage to the snowpack that the rain has caused. I'm disappointed (for my children's sake) that the only trail serving the Sherburne Express will be High Meadows Pass. That makes for some VERY tedious skiing from that chair. I was also hoping to see either Willloughby or the Dippers from top to bottom. But... if they can manage it this is a very nice number of trails to have open for this time of the year.

VTKilarney

Article about Burke Mountain: http://www.skinet.com/ski/article/rebirth-burke

A couple interesting points mentioned in the article:
1) $105 million has been "committed" to the Burke project. This term is somewhat vague.
2) The mountain was renamed as a favor to the local community, to reassure them that the current owners are here to stay.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Article about Burke Mountain: http://www.skinet.com/ski/article/rebirth-burke

A couple interesting points mentioned in the article:
1) $105 million has been "committed" to the Burke project. This term is somewhat vague.
2) The mountain was renamed as a favor to the local community, to reassure them that the current owners are here to stay.

http://www.skinet.com/ski/article/rebirth-burke?brn=ski&src=email&date=120314&lnk=text

You missed the BIGGEST part: the Bear Den will be saved!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

Is the article paid for? It smacks of PR.

For some reason I thought that the Bear Den news had already gotten out there. My bad.

VTKilarney

They say that they have 20 inches at the summit stake, not that they received 20" from this latest storm.

It's kind of like including your butt when measuring your privates.

VTKilarney

xwhaler

Excellent news abt the snow (and Bear Den!)
Will be at Burke next Saturday using my Fox 44 voucher. Had fears that only 1-2 routes would be open off the summit but now with cold next week looks like they could possibly expand beyond what they will open with this coming wknd.

SkiRaceParent

If you want to keep your ACLs you may want to rethink skiing in this stuff, unless we get more fluffier snow or the groomers can mix it all in.