• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

thetrailboss

Staff member
this is a total assumption on my part–but I bet last year ary was hanging with the asininely named"Team Beaverkill" and they told him it would be a great idea–that way they could go to the park after work. captain beaverqill not knowing any better and in desperate need of any friend he could get pushed the idea forward.

or night skiing is huge in china and they might get another eb-5 investor–either way seems plausible to me

Looks like this year's team is not named Beaverkill.

halfpintvt

Seriously? $5 shipping per card?

FYI, Jay Peak charges $7.00 per card for shipping and handling.

"Once we receive your email a Jay Peak Customer Service representative will give you a call to confirm the details and process your order. Please let us know if you don't want us to leave a message or say who's calling (in case the gift card is a surprise for someone who might intercept the call/voicemail).

You can also call (802) 988-2611 with questions or to purchase over the phone.
*Please note that we require a $7 ($20 for CDN addresses) processing and shipping fee for all mailed Move Up Gift Card purchases. This guarantees delivery and allows us to track packages.
*Move Up cards can only be purchased in US funds; we apologize for any inconvenience. All credit card transactions are processed in US funds."

thetrailboss

Staff member
FYI, Jay Peak charges $7.00 per card for shipping and handling.

"Once we receive your email a Jay Peak Customer Service representative will give you a call to confirm the details and process your order. Please let us know if you don't want us to leave a message or say who's calling (in case the gift card is a surprise for someone who might intercept the call/voicemail).

You can also call (802) 988-2611 with questions or to purchase over the phone.
*Please note that we require a $7 ($20 for CDN addresses) processing and shipping fee for all mailed Move Up Gift Card purchases. This guarantees delivery and allows us to track packages.
*Move Up cards can only be purchased in US funds; we apologize for any inconvenience. All credit card transactions are processed in US funds."

In their defense I can see that they probably have to insure the envelope and track it because it is the same as sending cash in the mail. I could see that being an issue. But why mail a stupid card when you can do this electronically?

VTKilarney

In their defense I can see that they probably have to insure the envelope and track it because it is the same as sending cash in the mail. I could see that being an issue. But why mail a stupid card when you can do this electronically?

Except that you can cancel a lost card. So it's not at all like mailing cash.

Most retailers I know charge nothing for shipping gift cards. The few that do charge very little.

And not scaling the fee based on the number of cards purchased is just absurd.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Except that you can cancel a lost card. So it's not at all like mailing cash.

Most retailers I know charge nothing for shipping gift cards. The few that do charge very little.

And not scaling the fee based on the number of cards purchased is just absurd.

Honestly I think that they are trying to cover their "other" costs with the stupid handling fees.

VTKilarney

Does anyone know if snowmaking has resumed? If not, they lost a 38-40 hour window in a week that will present with limited opportunities.

River19

Has anyone validated that 25 gun total? If so, isn't that a pathetic amount of guns as max concurrent capacity?

Doesn't SR have like 250-300 going at one time? Granted capacity of each gun is different but a 10X order of magnitude is substantial, right?

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Does anyone know if snowmaking has resumed? If not, they lost a 38-40 hour window in a week that will present with limited opportunities.
I don't have a direct view of the ski area side of the mountain. However, I can usually tell when they are making snow due to the cloud/airborne overspray the process produces. I didn't see any of that this morning but it doesn't mean they definitely weren't making snow.

Has anyone validated that 25 gun total? If so, isn't that a pathetic amount of guns as max concurrent capacity?

Doesn't SR have like 250-300 going at one time? Granted capacity of each gun is different but a 10X order of magnitude is substantial, right?
25 guns at a time is very weak. There have been a lot of conflicting/talk-around answers about the actual capacity to blow snow on the mtn. The new fan guns should be increasing the number. As long as they can get water to them.

Gman

I don't have a direct view of the ski area side of the mountain. However, I can usually tell when they are making snow due to the cloud/airborne overspray the process produces. I didn't see any of that this morning but it doesn't mean they definitely weren't making snow.

25 guns at a time is very weak. There have been a lot of conflicting/talk-around answers about the actual capacity to blow snow on the mtn. The new fan guns should be increasing the number. As long as they can get water to them.

No guns going because they have no water. According to an inside source.

VTKilarney

Their own "snowmaking update" emails say how many guns are blowing. And that number, as disclosed by Q Burke, has been 25. It will be interesting to see if that number goes up when the fan guns start blowing. But of course if you have no water to pump...

I heard from an on-mountain source that they will not be opening this coming weekend. They are now shooting for December 11th.

It will be interesting to see whether or not they will have to run shuttles from the Sherburne lot.

VTKilarney

What is the reason they have no water? Fer crying out loud! Ary has had a YEAR to figure this crap out since the last fiasco!

They draw off of a river. The state sets standards for water levels. My understanding is that the state has a monitoring device that triggers when the water goes below a certain level. I am also told that there has been some "creativity" over the years to keep that section of the river higher, but at the end of the day you can only do so much.

Their snowmaking pond is not that large, which is why they are ultimately at the mercy of the water levels in the river.

VTKilarney

They will clearly blame this pending fiasco on the weather. And to a certain degree they have a valid argument. On the other hand, there were promises made that clearly have not been delivered upon. They promised to upgrade snowmaking so they could fight against the weather much better. From what I've seen, there have been no meaningful improvements in their ability to lay down snow when Mother Nature is cooperating. At the end of the day, that's what snowmaking is all about - seizing opportunities to overcome the natural elements. Burke just can't do that like other ski areas can.

farlep99

why would water levels be so low? it hasn't been particularly dry in the NEK has it?

VTKilarney

why would water levels be so low? it hasn't been particularly dry in the NEK has it?

In St. Johnsbury, November sees an average of 3.4 inches of precipitation. This year we had 1.09 inches.
October averages 3.87 inches. This year we had 2.36 inches.
September was about 2.1 inches above average.