• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

River19

I remember that article well.........I really wish they would write a folow-up/update on the current situation etc.

That being said, bankruptcy wouldn't be a good thing on many fronts, like TB mentioned it screws the locals owed money but also has throws property values into a strange place etc.

The whole thing is still in a place where things can bounce back...provided there is a change at the helm and it doesn't look like Daddy is willing to do that.

IF they can make it to the summer season and these are big IFs and get the hotel opened up and squared away (as in good staff, good food, good service etc.) and get the bike park cranking and fully engage the wedding market and nail those.....they have somewhat of a chance to get some cash flow going but I'm not sure it will be enough to offset the costs of running that big hotel.

No matter what they do up on the mountain they are still faced with the issue that there is no "scene" up there for MTBers like the Tiki Bar and East Burke has developed into. There is some potential on the back patio where Brew fest has taken place but that has turned into a Q suck fest as well.

Additionally, the "scene" is picking up on Darling Hill around the Wildflower including Village's soon to be new shop across the street from where they are currently and anything up on the mountain will be a distant 3rd option if even that.

I do get the vibe that if Q can't package a project with some significant EB-5 qualifying infrastructure build he can't get stuff done. Once something is built, I seriously question if there is any real operational skill set in his organization other than what has been developed at Jay. It doesn't look like there is any deep pool of working capital to run a ski mountain like Burke let alone a 3-4 season resort with hotel.

Ski resorts like Equestrian pursuits......you can become a millionaire doing either of them, however you need to start out as a billionaire.

thetrailboss

Staff member
What exactly are we talking about with bankruptcy? I am assuming that you mean the hotel and conference center. Or are we talking about the ski resort? As just recently posted, aren't these two separate LLCs? As far as the comment that Steiger and Quiros are only in this for the EB-5 money, and not the skiing, I have to disagree with that. I would think that looking at how well Jay Peak is doing and what growth they had since using the EB-5 program to expand, would negate that perception.

The more cynical would point out some key things outside of Jay. First, the AncBio deal that is shady on multiple levels. The AncBio company was shut down, Q uses EB-5 money to buy the "license" of their technology at some high amount, and then he buys the 25 acre land and sells a slice of it to the EB-5 investors for more than the entire parcel is worth. That does not concern you? The second big thing is that they buy downtown Newport buildings, level them, and now have empty holes in downtown. They clearly assumed that they would raise the money to build it but don't have it.

As to Burke, I read and hear a lot about how committed they are to the mountain and how Ary is a military man, etc. I have got to say that the mountain, and employees, were the most depressed I have ever seen up there. Employees literally wear rags--dirty coats with logos from previous Burke operations. The J-Bar looked like hell. MidBurke had ripped carpet that had not been vacuumed. I know that one groomer broke last year and Ary refused to pay to have it fixed. And on a personal level, I have heard multiple people say that Ary can't even mow his own lawn and his house looks like hell. It's really sad. Actions speak a lot louder than words and they can't even put on an appearance of trying to do it right. If they were committed they would have moved Ary to somewhere else and tried to get a good manager in there to run it--hell, they'd at least put a few coats of paint here and there and properly clothe their employees.

A lot of folks think that the whole game was to put someone else's money into it, cash out what they could, and flip it. It seems more and more that this is the plan.

The big distinction with Jay is that they have Stenger running it. He does a good job with the resort operations. They let him run it and it is working. They have been there for a longer time than Burke--I think that Q and Stenger bought that in 2002 or so. It is working....so we think. With Burke, I am beginning to think that the idea was, "hey, we just do what Bill does. How hard is it to run a ski area?" and the end game was to invest other people's money into it and flip it.

I hear a lot of hot air but see a ship with no captain.

Last edited:

Quietone

Don't forget about Mr. Davis as he's more of a culprit than anyone else. VT Heating & Ventilating is completely done with their portion of the job and Jerry still owes them a million dollars! And there are many smaller vendors owed money that really can't afford to take the hits. As someone said earlier, "If Mr. Davis thought the Q's were going to pay their bills, why doesn't he just release the CO and wait for his payment". Any normal person would do this at least allowing the hotel to bring in revenue. All weddings this year have been cancelled and because of Mr. Davis Brides and Grooms are scrambling! PeakCM is not a very user friendly company and not good for the NEK. Bill Stenger and EB5 work, at least they did at Jay Peak before PeakCM got involved. Let's put the blame where it's due.

VTKilarney

I also heard a rumor that all weddings had been cancelled. But the rumor I heard said that all weddings through 2016 have been cancelled. What does that tell you as far as the likelihood of the hotel opening for the summer?

Last edited:

River19

Can someone clarify what the talk about canceled weddings is? I assume you heard that some pre-booked 2016 weddings have been canceled? If that is true were they May weddings?

Figures the only function they had at the hotel was that wedding expo and some poor schmucks booked it thinking Q actually had their shit together and then boom.....plans scuttled with a few months to go.....good luck.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Can someone clarify what the talk about canceled weddings is? I assume you heard that some pre-booked 2016 weddings have been canceled? If that is true were they May weddings?

Figures the only function they had at the hotel was that wedding expo and some poor schmucks booked it thinking Q actually had their shit together and then boom.....plans scuttled with a few months to go.....good luck.

The reason for the Wedding Expo going forward was that the proceeds went to charity.

VTKilarney

The whole thing boggles my mind. The hotel is built, but NOBODY can figure out how to bridge the $5.5 million or so that is owed? The only thing that makes sense to me is that Quiros is truly throwing in the towel on EB-5 and is running away with whatever profits he has made. I'd like to think that this is not the case. There are definitely mixed messages. Siobahn, the front desk manager, just posted a blog entry. Why would you have people like that on payroll if you didn't plan on opening the hotel forthwith?

thetrailboss

Staff member
The whole thing boggles my mind. The hotel is built, but NOBODY can figure out how to bridge the $5.5 million or so that is owed? The only thing that makes sense to me is that Quiros is truly throwing in the towel on EB-5 and is running away with whatever profits he has made. I'd like to think that this is not the case. There are definitely mixed messages. Siobahn, the front desk manager, just posted a blog entry. Why would you have people like that on payroll if you didn't plan on opening the hotel forthwith?

I thought that Siobahn was in marketing (?)

VTKilarney

They don't seem to be too serious about booking rooms for the summer. If you try to book online, you can't book any weekend nights. For weeknights, the only rates that come up are government, AAA, and CAA.

It's pretty sad that North Korea is doing a better job of running a ski resort than the management of Q Burke.

oldtimer

short sighted of you- clearly they are fully booked for all weekend nights.

Word on the street from someone who is often walking in and out of the admin building is that there is no real optimism about opening the hotel this summer. AND at the end of March all mtn ops including the Tamarack will be shut down, "until such time as we chose to operate again". That is, with no commitment to the summer. hope that last part is a mis-understanding on this person's part.

thetrailboss

Staff member
short sighted of you- clearly they are fully booked for all weekend nights.

Good one! Love it! :lol:

Word on the street from someone who is often walking in and out of the admin building is that there is no real optimism about opening the hotel this summer. AND at the end of March all mtn ops including the Tamarack will be shut down, "until such time as we chose to operate again". That is, with no commitment to the summer. hope that last part is a mis-understanding on this person's part.

Now this would really be stupid....and really undercut property values up there and rentals.

River19

Well here is some good news, the Vermont Food Truck will be back at the Tiki this summer...........to hell with Q......