• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

oldtimer

Seems sensible but who has the $300k to $400k needed to bring the building into some form of code compliance and serviceability?

No doubt BMA would love to have a place to host their weekend program and race days but that buidling is a money pit.....

Will probably remain as the lodge for races.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

MEtoVTSkier

Not very many people came to ski, but those that did were rewarded by deep man made coverage where they had snow. The vibe among the staff was great. By Sunday morning the groomed product was excellent. After the heavy rain thursday it dried out and froze up slowly so that it ultimately groomed into an excellent surface. Some care required on Willoughby above darling point where they did manage to till up a couple of small pepples.

The mid-burke/ hotel cafeteria situation is odd. Mid-Burke lodge is open but with no food or beverage until the Bear's Den opens at 11. The cafeteria is happening at the hotel. If the Mid-Burke lodge is meant to be the staging area for day trippers who do not want to go to the base lodge, it would be nice to be able to get a cup of coffee without going down to the hotel.

It is not at all clear what they consider their "day lodge" in the mid-Burke area. The situation will be even more absurd when the Base lodge is open. 3 day lodge areas for a mountain that rarely has a crowd- not sustainable. That said, the hotel cafeteria will be crazy on days when they host weekend races if there is no mid-Burke Lodge and it is a long way from the hotel to the Poma for the race crowd.

nice weekend on the snow at Burke- I am looking forward to seeing how they do for next weekend. After this little shot of warm, temps look incredibly favorable well into the week before Christmas. Is it possible we could go either left or right off the chair during Christmas week?

Figured it would be a slow start attendance wise for them. But, I think as the season goes on, a lot of people, myself included, who've been staying away, will start returning. I think as word gets out that they are actually making a reasonable amount of snow, it will smooth a lot of bad feelings. A little help from Mother Nature wouldn't hurt either.

You'd think they'd move all the food into the new day-lodge, just keep the bar and basic drinks like coffee/hot chocolate/water/juice e.c.t. available at Bear's Den for those that are booting up or in for a quick break, or race teams/BMA practice.

The Hotel is building is going to be open 24/7 regardless, so that and Sherburne Lodge should be hosting the majority of the services. Mid-Burke should be Bear's Den and just basic lodge amenities until it's fate is decided.

When the new T-bar is installed, did they say if it was going to be extended lower, closer to the new lodge?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Figured it would be a slow start attendance wise for them. But, I think as the season goes on, a lot of people, myself included, who've been staying away, will start returning. I think as word gets out that they are actually making a reasonable amount of snow, it will smooth a lot of bad feelings. A little help from Mother Nature wouldn't hurt either.

You'd think they'd move all the food into the new day-lodge, just keep the bar and basic drinks like coffee/hot chocolate/water/juice e.c.t. available at Bear's Den for those that are booting up or in for a quick break, or race teams/BMA practice.

The Hotel is building is going to be open 24/7 regardless, so that and Sherburne Lodge should be hosting the majority of the services. Mid-Burke should be Bear's Den and just basic lodge amenities until it's fate is decided.

When the new T-bar is installed, did they say if it was going to be extended lower, closer to the new lodge?

Good points. And I think that the T-Bar is set to follow the same path as the Poma.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member
Latest VTD article on Burke:

https://vtdigger.org/2016/12/08/bur...il&utm_term=0_dc3c5486db-82cca1a9a8-405558657

And for those that were wondering about last season.....

The early start and a big boost in snowmaking should help increase skier visits, which came in last year at about half of the roughly 70,000 skier visits a year the mountain had seen in the past, Mack said. A lot of that drop, he added, is attributed to the lack of snowfall last season, which led to reduced skier visits at resorts across the East.

SIKSKIER

This made me laugh today.
On Burkes snow report: If this keeps up we should be able to open more then double the terrain heading into next weekend.

They have 1 run open today so look for 2 next weekend.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
That "more than double" is likely to include the Dippers and Upper Warrens Way which by far take the most snow making resources to get covered. After those large main trails are done they can spread out around the upper and lower mountain increasing trail counts quickly from there.
This is roughly the logical plan that Burke skiers wanted Q Jr to follow but for whatever reason logic didn't apply to him and he made sure the terrain park was top priority instead. :thumbdown:

VTKilarney

It's nice to see the vibe up there this year. Things really have changed for the better.

NEK, don't you think that they need to get the lower mountain open sooner than later just for the parking alone? I wouldn't fault them if they did so. Ary, however, seemed to want the ENTIRE lower mountain open before he turned the guns back up on the main mountain. That was crazy.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
From what I hear a opening a lower mountain route is the next focus. I'm not sure if they will start this weekend. The upcoming weather is perfect for making snow (other than the wind).

It seems like the mountain should have enough natural snow that getting Midway-High Meadows pass open could be done with one day of targeted snowmaking. Having Midway-HMP open would connect the Sherburne lift to the Hotel and then the base lodge.

thetrailboss

Staff member
That "more than double" is likely to include the Dippers and Upper Warrens Way which by far take the most snow making resources to get covered. After those large main trails are done they can spread out around the upper and lower mountain increasing trail counts quickly from there.
This is roughly the logical plan that Burke skiers wanted Q Jr to follow but for whatever reason logic didn't apply to him and he made sure the terrain park was top priority instead. :thumbdown:

Terrain park and techno music. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

The hotel is now 40% off for Christmas week. $379 for a family of four in a one bedroom suite including lift tickets. $229 for two people in a studio suite.

River19

The vibe around the area is much lighter.......there was a heaviness that is gone.....and to hear things around town like "the mountain is looking great and open 30 days earlier.....so happy for them".....vs. "what the heck are they doing? Hopefully they will have a single run for Christmas".......support vs. passive aggressive energy.

Mother Nature is certainly helping......

MEtoVTSkier

crank

Yes. I tried to book through their site and the price was 379 for 2 people. Didn't see a promo code though there was a place to insert one. I called the reservations desk and yes the price is $229 for 2.

We are visiting some friends who live in Sunape, NH starting the 26th and I think we will break away to Burke for a couple of days like 29th and 30th. Hoping they will have a good amount of terrain open and lower crowds than the major areas.

How much snow have they been getting as compared to Stowe or Jay?

oldtimer

Webcam

Does anyone know the powers that be?? How do we get them to turn the webcam around so that instead of seeing an incredibly static view of the hotel we can see the view up the mountain? Seems like a small thing, but if a webcam is supposed to generate some buzz and interest, it should be interesting.