• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

thetrailboss

Staff member
...and maybe I am wrong, but at least in my mind 2007-2008 was an AWESOME snow year. I skied things at Burke I had never skied before.

EPB

...and maybe I am wrong, but at least in my mind 2007-2008 was an AWESOME snow year. I skied things at Burke I had never skied before.
I'd believe it. Had 4 feet of snowpack at ~900 feet of elevation in Bartlett, NH that year. It was the best season of my life in the MWV.

oldtimer

Burke skied extremely well this weekend- anything with snowmaking was great and parts of the East side were in play. East bowl was open and very skiiable both days, Powerderhorn, Sasquatch and Wilderness all were incredible on Saturday (mind you, incredible for April 15th).

Now, was it a good idea to open? probably not. I enjoyed skiing with freinds and family, but there were not many of us. From the looks, I would be surprised if they sold 25 day tickets on Saturday and 10 on Sunday.

THANK YOU BURKE- what a fabulous winter.

slatham

Burke skied extremely well this weekend- anything with snowmaking was great and parts of the East side were in play. East bowl was open and very skiiable both days, Powerderhorn, Sasquatch and Wilderness all were incredible on Saturday (mind you, incredible for April 15th).

Now, was it a good idea to open? probably not. I enjoyed skiing with freinds and family, but there were not many of us. From the looks, I would be surprised if they sold 25 day tickets on Saturday and 10 on Sunday.

THANK YOU BURKE- what a fabulous winter.

This time of year it's more about advertising and getting people to buy season passes. Good to see them have a good year with all the news and uncertainty.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Back in the NEK for a funeral unfortunately. The conversation of the weekend was the Rasputista race and how it has become a big deal. What started as maybe 300 people has turned into a race that is capped at 1,000. And they filled all the slots. Town was abuzz. Went to the hotel this morning to get some goodies at the store and they said that they were FULL this weekend. Very good. Publick House was packed last night for dinner. Food for us, unfortunately, missed the mark. Not sure if it was a different chef or something else, but both my wife and I had meals that were not up to their usual par.

Lots of bikers in town and lots of out-of-state plates. For what is normally a dead weekend it was busy. That is welcome.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Nice digging on the new T-bar.
The new lift will pretty much be a widening of the Mid-Burke Express lift line cut (aka Re-Run) by 10-50'. My concern is that by doing this, the Mid-Burke Express might be opened up to more wind, especially at the top half of Upper Warrens Way.

Showing a roughly 20 ft wide clearance (my guess at a minimum width):
New T-Bar Map.jpg

Edit to add that skiing the cross-over between Warrens Way and McHargs is going to be more dangerous. In the current setup you can easy see the uphill Poma riders and pass between them with no problem. However, the new T-bar is going to be on the other side of the trees which means cross traffic may have to stop and look before proceeding.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Or do they close that cross over? I thought I have read with new surface lift installations you can't have crossing trails.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Or do they close that cross over? I thought I have read with new surface lift installations you can't have crossing trails.

That would kind of suck on days that they are only using Lower Warrens for race training. It would force everyone down Lower Foxes Folly which results in a long flat traverse back to the MBE.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Might differ from state to state. Now that I recall, it was regarding a new T Bar for a race training at Sunday River on Monday Morning. The installation of the lift is resulting in the closing of the Over Easy cross over trail.

Jully

Might differ from state to state. Now that I recall, it was regarding a new T Bar for a race training at Sunday River on Monday Morning. The installation of the lift is resulting in the closing of the Over Easy cross over trail.

I know it is not allowed in ME on new lifts. In addition to potentially being state by state, maybe the crossing is 'grandfathered' in by the old poma being there?