• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

burski

This makes me wonder if Steve's stint as GM at Burke was a temporary position until they could hire a GM specifically for Burke? As we all know, even though Steve is very good at his job, trying to run two resorts at the same time is very demanding. Had this been a long term plan, both resorts would have likely suffered for it as neither would have received the undivided attention of the GM.
Who says "auto parts salesman" is the only thing on the new guy's resume? :popcorn:

I really don't think they hired Steve for 2 months during the summer (slow time) just so that they would have an interim GM. I think a much better bet would be that Steve could not work with Q like the numerous others that have now either left or been shown the door by Q. And while there is nothing wrong with being a local parts salesman in your previous career - it has no correlation to the ski business - but who knows this rumored individual may have been the GM at Vail before they left for the lucrative parts business. As for now, there is no official word so we will wait to see if the Mountain confirms or denies this rumor and maybe there is a impressive resume for whomever this new GM may be. (or maybe its still Steve and he is out enjoying his summer away from these ski forums). Either way it would be nice to hear what is going on at the ski area before I purchase my season ticket.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I really don't think they hired Steve for 2 months during the summer (slow time) just so that they would have an interim GM. I think a much better bet would be that Steve could not work with Q like the numerous others that have now either left or been shown the door by Q. And while there is nothing wrong with being a local parts salesman in your previous career - it has no correlation to the ski business - but who knows this rumored individual may have been the GM at Vail before they left for the lucrative parts business. As for now, there is no official word so we will wait to see if the Mountain confirms or denies this rumor and maybe there is a impressive resume for whomever this new GM may be. (or maybe its still Steve and he is out enjoying his summer away from these ski forums). Either way it would be nice to hear what is going on at the ski area before I purchase my season ticket.

My sources confirm that there is a new GM and that he does not have any ski area experience. He previously ran a Fastenal franchise.

And as to what is going on: the Q Conference Center and Hotel. That's it.

VTKilarney

Not exactly earth shattering news, but Burke has confirmed on their Facebook page that their anticipated opening date will be on the weekend of December 13th.

VTKilarney

Did any of that steel arrive at Q-Burke? If so, it's not in front of their webcam.

VTKilarney

Does this mean that they did indeed arrive? That's all I was wondering.

I'm assuming that the steel has either arrived or is about to arrive since the crane is still there. But I'm no expert on these things.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Does this mean that they did indeed arrive? That's all I was wondering.

I'm assuming that the steel has either arrived or is about to arrive since the crane is still there. But I'm no expert on these things.

I see steel....

Attachments

• steel.jpg
    steel.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 77

AdironRider

My sources confirm that there is a new GM and that he does not have any ski area experience. He previously ran a Fastenal franchise.

And as to what is going on: the Q Conference Center and Hotel. That's it.

Seriously?!

With that resume I think any of us on this board is now automatically qualified for the position.

VTKilarney

Word is that he will be assistant GM and Ary will be GM. I was told he is starting next week.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Word is that he will be assistant GM and Ary will be GM. I was told he is starting next week.

I thought Ary stepped down?

what a cluster

There are plenty of talented people in the ski industry. Pretty boneheaded of the Q's to not hire someone with an industry background.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I thought Ary stepped down?

what a cluster

There are plenty of talented people in the ski industry. Pretty boneheaded of the Q's to not hire someone with an industry background.

Unfortunately Burke has become the laughing stock of the industry. So sad. It's such a great mountain.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Big Wave Dave

ha I think PCMR and not Burke is the real laughingstock of the industry right now. As magnitude of erros goes, Burke is not even in PCMR's league.

but point made.