• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Burke announcement

mbedle

Didn't someone say that the local schools always paid to use the facilities at Burke? Trailboss mentioned that Burke sent retroactive invoices to the schools that got everyone upset. If they alway paid for training time, why would they be upset getting a retro bill? Was it that the bill was significantly higher than previous years? Or was it that they got away with using the facilities for the past couple of years without paying and are pissed that Burke finally got around to figuring that out?

Not too sure about that, I am tracking that a lot of people are chattering about the Mountain. More than in the past.
That is true, but, at least in my experience over the past two years, it has been overwhelmingly negative. Even if Ary's plan proves successful he has alienated a large segment of the mountain base and the community - a feat not easily undone in spite of front men/protectors like Bill and Bill.

faQ

Didn't someone say that the local schools always paid to use the facilities at Burke? Trailboss mentioned that Burke sent retroactive invoices to the schools that got everyone upset. If they alway paid for training time, why would they be upset getting a retro bill? Was it that the bill was significantly higher than previous years? Or was it that they got away with using the facilities for the past couple of years without paying and are pissed that Burke finally got around to figuring that out?

I was wondering about this also. Can someone elaborate? Were they given free tix initially/ discounted and then invoiced? What services were they invoiced for?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was wondering about this also. Can someone elaborate? Were they given free tix initially/ discounted and then invoiced? What services were they invoiced for?

I've been told that the agreement was no fee but the teams all bought season passes. Ary changed his mind.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Proofreading is always a good thing....because what is a "Come Series"?

Q Marketing said:
Feb 28: Come Series Stop #7, 9-11pm in Kingdom Cafe; Vermont based comedian Tony Bates and Jim Colliton.

From their Email today. Freudian slip perhaps?!

burski

Has Burke made any snow in the past few weeks? Is the river still too low?

I am pretty sure they have not, with the weather, conditions have been good so there is really no need. They typically don't make any snow after end of January and very few resort make snow after Feb vacation week.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If I were a pass holder, I would not want them to have made snow the past few weeks. It's wasted money that could be spent on system upgrades in the summer. I recognize that might not happen, but in theory it could.

No where that I've skied the past four weeks or so has been making snow. Last place I saw it was Cannon and that was prior to this weather pattern. Only place I've really heard about making much snow is Killington on Superstar, which is to be expected. I'm sure other places have, but minimally. A year like this one, you bank from Mother Nature as much as you can.

VTKilarney

Agreed. The reason I asked, however, is that they intimated that they would blow snow late at the Passholders meeting.

Boardguy

Of course you weren't. Your posts frequently speak of you being a local, what you heard on the street, how everyone in Burke feels about things and what you know to be true from your sources. BUT you need to post on an internet board to find out if Burke has made snow in the past few weeks. Can't find out from your local contacts? Call the mountain perhaps. Trolls gonna troll. Granted I have been unable to make it up there the past two weekends but the last time I was there the snow was great and my relatives are up there this weekend and state that conditions are still good. I agree with deadheadskier and doubt that the majority of ski areas in NE are making snow. In my time there no owner has blown snow when they did not need it and in many instances did not blow snow when they did. Particularly after the middle of Jan when the compressors were usually returned. Now it is after vacation week too, I am thinking most areas are in "it is what it is mode" at this point in the season.

VTKilarney

Where do you get off thinking that I was being judgmental one way or the other? If you had the slightest amount of intelligence and understood what I said above and you would see that I wasn't being judgmental at all.

Take a deep freaking breath already. Sheesh.

Last edited: