• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big snowmaking upgrade at Wildcat

Smellytele

Wouldn't make much sense for early/late season.You would have to run 2 chairlifts anyways to get to higher elevation. That's the advantage Killington has....1 lift/1 trail. I loved skiing laps on the lift lines and then riding the Catapult lift back up but it doesn't offer any advantage for early/late.

um doesn't K have to run the Gondola as well?

MadMadWorld

BRETTON WOODS, New Hampshire — Bretton Woods Mountain Resort has given skiers and riders much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving weekend. A foot and a half of new snow fell on a record 5400 skiers over the four-day holiday, a 19% increase over the past record set in 2002.

In addition to the welcome snowfall that enabled the Resort to open more terrain than any other in New Hampshire, many new Bode ONE season pass holders came to enjoy the uncrowded slopes. Powder hounds discovered trails opened on entirely natural snow, while the fans of Bretton Woods’ renowned grooming found a solid base of manmade snow on their favorite trails. The Bode ONE pass, named after the Resort’s director of skiing and World Cup Champion Bode Miller, offers unrestricted skiing and riding starting at $399.

Nordic skiers also had plenty to be thankful for as the cross country trails opened with 30 kilometers by the weekend.

Snowfall began on Tuesday afternoon and continued through Thursday. Many skiers and riders arrived at the Mountain early Thursday morning to enjoy the fresh powder before traveling over the river and through the woods to The Mount Washington Hotel for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner celebration.

For more information about Bretton Woods, please call 877-873-0626 toll-free, or visit www.brettonwoods.com.

For Superstar? No

MikeTrainor

Wouldn't make much sense for early/late season.You would have to run 2 chairlifts anyways to get to higher elevation. That's the advantage Killington has....1 lift/1 trail. I loved skiing laps on the lift lines and then riding the Catapult lift back up but it doesn't offer any advantage for early/late.

If they could figure out how to have a midstation upload on a HSQ they would be golden. However, I don't think the insurance company would go for that.

Alta has a HSQ with a mid station that you can load. I am not sure how many chairs would be available on a weekend but I was there mid week in December and was able to do so.

They also have a high speed triple.

MadMadWorld

Alta has a HSQ with a mid station that you can load. I am not sure how many chairs would be available on a weekend but I was there mid week in December and was able to do so.

They also have a high speed triple.

Really seems like it would be very hard to go on since it can slow down like it does at the top and bottom.

MikeTrainor

Really seems like it would be very hard to go on since it can slow down like it does at the top and bottom.

I slows down the same as the top and bottom. I am not exactly sure how it works maybe two separate line? A top and bottom half?

MikeTrainor

Does the midstation look similar to the top and bottom of HSQs? Maybe I can find a pic

Yes here is a pic of it.
attachment.php

Attachments

• midstation.jpg
    midstation.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 242

DoublePlanker

A terrible idea for Wildcat. The top to bottom runs and fast hsq is awesome.

And btw, wildcat is much better than Killingcrowds. Love the cat.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think it would be killer. Such a lift could probably extend the season a month at Wildcat.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Nice to dream. They could blow the snot out of Lift Lion and easily be last to close in the East with that set up. It probably wouldn't draw crowds like Killington, but I bet it would do pretty well. You already have a bunch people in the area skiing Tucks. If conditions in Tucks aren't going to be good for the day, they could just head across the street and still do some skiing.

Newpylong

The setup at Hood on Palmer would make more sense for Wildcat. Its a straight midsection where the chairs detach and go back on the rope, no separate lifts.

Smellytele

Looks like they don't use that mid station anymore?

We had this discussion in another thread where it was noted that they still did and dropped the chairs/cable down. If you look on the last pole there is another set of wheels down lower. It is only used certain times of the year.