• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Squaw- Apr. 20

Skimaine4ever

Website
www.bigsquawmountain.4t.com
Date(s) Skied: April 20th

Resort or Ski Area: Big Squaw Mountain

Conditions: Corn, HardPack, Ice, SLush

Trip Report: Decided to hike up Big Squaw for a few turns. Kennebec was the only trail left that was skiable from tob to bottom. There was still a good base on kennebec. It wasnt a very long hike or run, but it was still fun. The snow was a edgable hardpack with some loose corn and slush. There were a few bare spots but they were very avoidablde. We didnt see another person or car at the mountain. It was very peaceful and quite at the top.

Kennebec will probobly be skiable for atleast another week or two. But I doubt I will get back up. Even though it wasnt a long run it was still skiing therefore it was fun. And I would definetly do it again. I have a few pictures and may post them later.

Vortex

Skimaine4ever said:
Haha, Thanks. It wasnt to bad of hike but definetly a good workout in skibboots. Right now I have 18 days. And will get 19 on May 1st. It doesnt really compare to your total. But its okay. Like we disscused earlier in the year I have a ton of x-coountry days.
We will hear about the snow making on the back yard. :beer: Does this mean your making SkiMania? Like to hook up.

bigbog

Kudos to your pics SkiMaine,
Going to get over that-way sometime this weekend...just to look the place over....too bad we're expecting rainy weather, but the woods need it. The 5yo skiboots-from-the-underworld have been tossed;-), so I'm all smiles in my hiking boots :lol: Katahdin was beautiful last week, chutes were well defined as snowcover at the sides have thinned quite a bit. Really looking forward to finding them with the hiking boots and skiing them with my new boots & skis next season.

Skimaine4ever

Website
www.bigsquawmountain.4t.com
Do many people ski Katahdin?

I was suprised at the amount of snow left on Big Squaw. I called them yesterday to ask about the double. They said they were "unsure at this point" but they hope to have it running next year. If you see anyone up there you should ask them about the lift. Maybe somone will give you a straight answer.