• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blades 'n' Glades

Skier4life

I love messing around on blades all over the mountain, though it gets frustrating when I encounter that deep powder, which brings me to my question :-?

What is your opinion on riding blades through glades, is it possible to actually enjoy it on short skis?

I have ventured into a few glade trails with no serious problems though admittedly, running was considerably slower than my longer ski wearing companions.

I saw a video of a bunch of kids one after the other on blades running through glades at Cannon and they honestly looked labored going through what looked like it would have been a great run on fat skis on a fresh powder day! Sure ability level might have contributed to their look but hey...just asking your opinion.

No idea. But since you brought up the topic ... Why do people use those blades? When are they more fun/better than regular skis? I have a hard time stifling a laugh when I see them on the hill.

Cheese

If you ask me, the glades are a challenging place where you may need to stop extremely quickly or lean back and float the tips over something that would be dangerous not to ski over "cleanly". I doubt you can do this on blades so I'd say, it's less than desirable and some key safety features of long fat boards are missing when attempting glades on blades.

BenedictGomez

No idea. But since you brought up the topic ... Why do people use those blades? When are they more fun/better than regular skis? I have a hard time stifling a laugh when I see them on the hill.

They evolved as a fun tool to do jumps and tricks with, but the only person I know who still uses them never really learned how to ski, and they allow her to "ski" with people who do. As for glades, (or even nice powder conditions) I wouldnt even think it possible, as there's just not enough surface area to support your weight.

Skier4life

Wouldn't say they are more fun or better than regular skis, just another option. For me they are easier to turn, lighter for jumping and I don't have to worry about crossing skis when I am holding or skiing close to my 6 year old daughter on the slope.

LOL...laugh on, for me no shame in it!

Skier4life

They evolved as a fun tool to do jumps and tricks with, but the only person I know who still uses them never really learned how to ski, and they allow her to "ski" with people who do. As for glades, (or even nice powder conditions) I wouldnt even think it possible, as there's just not enough surface area to support your weight.

You're right...a couple of years ago I caught in a storm at Mount Snow [not mad at all] and every time i ventured off the groomers i sunk. can only really manage beaten paths in the glades to be honest so that takes out the fun in the glades.

Hawkshot99

I used to have a set of ski boards. They turned extremely easy, and were fun in tracked out glades because they were so easy to turn. But take them out on the groomers and they were terrible. They chattered like crazy, could not hold edge at speed and landing jumps was scary. Land slightly back or forward and you were crashing hard. Plus there was the non-releasable bindings that could tear up your knees.

I sold mine to a buddy for $50 and it turns out he hates them too.

Skier4life

If you ask me, the glades are a challenging place where you may need to stop extremely quickly or lean back and float the tips over something that would be dangerous not to ski over "cleanly". I doubt you can do this on blades so I'd say, it's less than desirable and some key safety features of long fat boards are missing when attempting glades on blades.

Thanks, point taken...i love how far skis have developed!

legalskier

What is your opinion on riding blades through glades, is it possible to actually enjoy it on short skis?

Sounds dangerous. One wrong slip can ruin your entire day...or life. Bark tastes lousy.

They evolved as a fun tool to do jumps and tricks with, but the only person I know who still uses them never really learned how to ski, and they allow her to "ski" with people who do.

I've heard that some racers use them to work on balance and correct positioning through turns.

Cheese

Thanks, point taken...i love how far skis have developed!

Example:

I was skiing an unofficial glade at Sunday River yesterday (between American Express and Risky Business I think). Coverage looked great and there was good distance between trees making it easy to link turns down the slope. 6-8 turns in I went over a mound of snow that suddenly disappeared exposing that I was skiing on top of a brush pile. If it wasn't for a quick move to the back seat and long fat boards, it could have ended VERY BADLY. I would not have wanted to be on top of that pile on snow blades.

Skier4life

Example:

I was skiing an unofficial glade at Sunday River yesterday (between American Express and Risky Business I think). Coverage looked great and there was good distance between trees making it easy to link turns down the slope. 6-8 turns in I went over a mound of snow that suddenly disappeared exposing that I was skiing on top of a brush pile. If it wasn't for a quick move to the back seat and long fat boards, it could have ended VERY BADLY. I would not have wanted to be on top of that pile on snow blades.

glad to hear the story from you and not the casualties reports. I believe I will keep my blades in the cupboard or boot of my car anytime I think I might want to hit the glades again.

Thanks all for the responses...extremely helpful!

jlboyell

all this time i thought they were for doing tricks or something. are they really just for beginners? i have seen them since i was a child and always wondered what they were for... kinda dissapointed

Highway Star

I love messing around on blades all over the mountain, though it gets frustrating when I encounter that deep powder, which brings me to my question :-?

I have ventured into a few glade trails with no serious problems though admittedly, running was considerably slower than my longer ski wearing companions.

I saw a video of a bunch of kids one after the other on blades running through glades at Cannon and they honestly looked labored going through what looked like it would have been a great run on fat skis on a fresh powder day! Sure ability level might have contributed to their look but hey...just asking your opinion.

Clearly you need some RAX.

http://www.raxski.com/

Seriously.

millerm277

Keep in mind, the reason snowblades are basically dead, is because the ones with non-releaseable bindings are extremely dangerous. Spiral Fractures aren't something to joke about.