• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blue Hills Shutdown (not covid)

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
What the fuck.....

https://liftblog.com/2021/01/30/massachusetts-orders-blue-hills-ski-area-closed/

Blue Hills Ski Area has been temporarily shuttered following two lift-related incidents. On Monday, a seven year old child fell out of a chair and was airlifted to a local hospital. Three days later, riders jumped from chairs during an extended breakdown of the lift.

So it sounds like because of two relatively common occurrences that got major media attention the ski hill has to shut down? It's very sad the kid fell and had to be airlifted to the hospital but that's not the ski area's fault (at least, I'd assume). And then the chairlift breaks and people start jumping off because they can't wait to be evaced? How is that even newsworthy?

Maybe there's a lot more to the story...?

Slidebrook87

Looks like they’re back open now.

Attachments

• 02EB58C8-D5EE-429B-A498-74C1DA7B8BA2.jpeg
    02EB58C8-D5EE-429B-A498-74C1DA7B8BA2.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 17

machski

What the fuck.....

https://liftblog.com/2021/01/30/massachusetts-orders-blue-hills-ski-area-closed/

So it sounds like because of two relatively common occurrences that got major media attention the ski hill has to shut down? It's very sad the kid fell and had to be airlifted to the hospital but that's not the ski area's fault (at least, I'd assume). And then the chairlift breaks and people start jumping off because they can't wait to be evaced? How is that even newsworthy?

Maybe there's a lot more to the story...?
Nope, Blue Hills is just far too close the Nedham MA (where ALL the Boston TV stations are located).

dblskifanatic

I live right down the road from Blue Hills and yesterday the parking lot was packed and the second lot was also packed, Some were parking at the park and ride down the road.

JoeB-Z

I once had a father ask me to go up with his son on the chair. He didn't mention the 4 yr old boy had never been on a chair. I just barely held on to the guy until they got the lift stopped.