• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blue mountain 1/18/09..new powder..crowded..

Hey All,

I'm back from a fun morning session at Blue mountain the true mountain. When I woke up..I looked outside and saw a coating of new snow. It turned out to be about 1.5 inches of really light powder..the kind when a midget farts, it clears all the snow off your car. I'm guessing 5%-6% in density. The drive up to the mountain was smooth until I hit Blue Mountain drive which was major carnage with lots of people driving 15-25mph on roads with exposed blacktop. I knew I wasn't going to make first chair..so I listened to some Billy Joel..and practiced Big Shot for a future Karaoke performance.

I pulled into the lower lot a few ticks before 8AM and there were already 100+ cars with a long snake of cars arriving while I booted up. It was about 20 degrees under overcast skys with light winds. I took the first 6-pack of the day with Slim, Gah Skier Georges friend. On the ride up, I saw Toast and A-Jeff skiing the fresh 2 inches of Pocono Poe on Razors. I waited for them at the top and we skied Razors again which still had huge swaths of untracked..Then we made our way over to Switchback which had been groomed so we hit Barneys bumps and skied the far rightside along the snowguns which is kind of like a gully and yielded dozens of turns of untracked. I was nervous about snowsnakes but I didn't get bit. We saw Stevo in the lower park making the features smooth..and Toast and Skier112 seemed to be enjoying the boxes, rails and Booters. A repeat of Barneys and lower Main Street was so nice and smooth..Then we too two runs on Connector to X-ing to main Street for more untracked.

Around that time PASRs own Chippy arrived from the mean streets of Blue Bell. First run with the chipster was in the park. He skied over the netting and his skis stopped instantly and double ejection. He was OK and everybody had a good laugh..as it was right under the 6-pack. I went to snow Atomic Jeff in the park and got him and some random boarder kid cause the snow was so powdery..I apoligized and kind of felt like an A-Hole..but not as big of an A-Hole as the line cutting instructors.

The VIP line is for season passholders, ski patrollers and ski instructors. Well crowds were pretty solid by around 10AM and the VIP line was about 8 groups long..maybe a 5+ minute wait..well after standing in line a few minutes..a few ski instructors cut the entire VIP line then skied past the liftline dude who deserves respect..then signaled for a bunch of their ski patroller buddies to join them and they shuffled to the front past everybody..so 11-12 instructors..not one student. People behind me and to the right of me were complaining since they'd all been standing several minutes and hardly moved forward while all those guys just cut in front of erybody including the liftline guy who was keeping things efficient. I yelled out.."Ski Instructors at Blue cut the Line"..a few times..one guy just gave me a funny stare. I ended up then being behind a group of them on the lift and yelled.."Blue mountain ski instructors cut lines cause their shit doesn't stink"..the one instructor who probably could kick my ass said,"Please don't swear" so I repeated,"Blue mountain ski instructors cut lines cause their shit doesn't stink" It would be different if they were giving a lesson..but just free skiing..no..that's not fair to the paying customers. Bad Smartstyle...

After that, we did a few speed runs on Paradise..today was my last weekend day at Blue for three weeks because I'll be in Jackson the next two weekends..Lazy Mile was crazy mile and there were definitely lots of injuries..Two ski patrollers were pulling a sled down among dozens of skiers and riders weaving every which way...Some of the jibhonks including Justo, KevinThomas, and BmTroublemaker were in the house and they looked to be loving the new park set-up.

The last Booter looks incredibly fun for straight airs..and the wall ride was hella crispy..I also scored some untracked next to the pipe and an icy snowsnake bit meand I fell on my side. A couple 8 year old kids were laughing at me from the lift..then when I got back to the liftline A-Jeff and Root wondered if I fell and I said no..which was a lie since I was covered in fresh Poe..I skied 17 runs in total all off the Poconos coldest 6-pack for 17,850 vert..and I left at 11:11..two years from now I'll be skiing on 11/11/11 at 11:11AM...mad Steezy Yo!!!!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I got a major late start today, and didn't arrive until after 9. Joined up with the gang and had a great time.

The Ski Instructor incident was hysterical. The guy could have defiantly kicked GSS, AtomicSkier's and my ass all at once. He was such a tool, he was skiing helmet & hat less today. The guy kinda looked like this (without the goatee):
entry.gif

I can understand the instructors moving to the front of the line when actually teaching, but if they are skiing for pleasure, they should wait in the VIP line, like everyone else.

During one of the "high speed" runs down Paradise, AtomicSkier got a talking to by the ski patrol. GSS zipped right by the patroller unnoticed. I was right behind AS and he really wasn't going that fast.

I stayed until 12:22. By this time the VIP line was empty, but the queue for the 6pack and the quad were completely packed. I'll be back tomorrow for some MLK runs.

Funny picture..who is that guy??? I'm sure based on sheer numbers, there are a dozen AZers that sort of look like that guy..you need to post that picture over on PASR for stoke!!!