• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blue mountain 12/13..nice bumps..

Hey All,

I'm back from a fun session at Blue mountain. I pulled into the lower lots at 740AM and Atomic Jeff was already there. There were only about 2 dozen cars in the lot. We made it on the first 6-pack and rode with another season passholder who was trying to impress us with his skiing knowledge and he was bad for stoke. It was funny seeing him try to catch up with us on our first run which was on Challenge. Challenge was great for the first hour or so..nice and soft packed powder but firm enough for a little bit of bite. Skier112 also joined me and M-Bike Mike/Gorgonzola was out with his buddy and apparently had a pretty bad hangover.

Challenge started to get really busy with the Blue mountain race team and the Glen Ridge race team so we decided to check out Barneys bumps. They blew about 6 inches of fresh manmade Poe in the bumps and they were also and so forgiving. In total I skied the bumps 6 times...by the last run on the bumps they were over waist high near the bottom and I freaking nailed my line with Atomic Jeff hot on my tail. We skied a few runs with T.Maki and his friends as well. They were blowing snow on Paradise, Burma Road, and in Tubing..Lazy Mile was Crazy Mile..I really weaved the noodle through all the skiers/riders/snowblerbladers and kids on leashes.

In total I skied 20 runs in 3 hours for 21,000 vertical feet..a totally legit session and my best day so far this season at Blue. It's hard to tell they received 3 inches of rain just 2-3 days ago..After skiing me and A-Jeff went to the Blue mountain drive inn. I had two fried eggs, bacon and toast..this is a hashbrown/home fry free ski season as I try to lose weight..Then I finished up my Christmas shopping. I'll be back first thing tomorrow morning for fresh cord. I hope they blow more snow again in the bumps..

AtomicSkier

I pulled into the Blue Mountain lower lodge for the first time on a weekend this year. I was really early, so I booted up in the lodge, and was all ready to go before Doug even pulled in. We were the first ones on the lift, but somehow, because they didn't get "clearance" from the top, we had to wait one chair which allowed this goober to get on with us. He was definately trying to impress us with his skiing knowledge. The guy was so happy to get first chair, but he was quickly informed by Doug that he wouldn't be getting first chair on the second run :)

Challenge was awesome early morning! The first run down was sooo smooth. The first 5 runs on Challenge were epic. By that time, it was snowing pretty freaking hard, and accumulating slowly, but surely. We were rolling with Skier112 and we saw MBike Mike, but he wanted to take it slow because he was hung over, so we ditched him ASAP :) . By then, Challenge was starting to get a little chunky on the top from all the racers out (Blue Mtn and Ridge ski team in the house), but the middle was still nice and smooth. Some race coach didn't like Doug and I skiing fast near his racers on Challenge, but whatever, it's not Razors Edge where they can close it off. You gotta ski with the masses, buddy.

While we were in line for the 6pack, this girl went out to far, and got clipped by the lift. She backed up, and got clipped again. She backed up, and got clipped again. By this time, she had let 4 chairs go by and Doug and I kept yelling "GO! GO! GO!". She still didn't go, and her boyfriend turned around and told us to shut the f*ck up. Whoops.

We then headed over to Main Street, because I saw from the parking lot that they had blown last night, and figured they blew in the bumps, and they had. Bumps were awesome for Dec 13th. Nice 4" of fresh blown snow on them, and you could ski a nice line through them, with the most legit bumps at the bottom. We eventually saw TMahky and his boys, so we skied two bump runs with them. We had a nice little bump session going, that's fo sure. All in all 6 bump runs, 1 lazy mile, and the rest on Challenge. Good for 20 runs and 21,000 vertical feet.

We went directly to the Blue Mountain Drive Inn for a good breakfast after skiing the bumps. Awesome session. I'm really tempted to ski tomorrow morning. We'll see how much studying I get done today.

What's good about Barneys is it's so consistent. The top couple bumps are usually pretty scraped off from the sideslipping nubs who then bail out to the groomed side..then they are nice and flow better..the middle flat section I get alot of speed because I don't really turn or ski every other bump..then the final 15-20 bumps is the best part..if you get too much speed..you know you are just a few more bumps from the end and if your legs can take it. I hope the new owners host a amateur bump competition in the spring time. Maybe like a $15 entry fee but you get a t-shirt...just an idea..

Greg

Staff member
We need a Barney's Bump vid at some point...

AtomicSkier

I like to copy and paste my posts from www.paskiandride.com over to this site..I was blasting Snoop Dogg in the parking lot because not everybody can afford $15 for the CD so they should be entitled to hear some great west-coast hip-hop:smile:

That's very considerate of you :)

We need a Barney's Bump vid at some point...

I'm working on it. Just got a new Canon 5DMarkII which shoots 1080p video clips :) GSS and I ski bumps much more frequently in the spring when they're nice and soft, so I may not lug my camera bag out until then. Or else, it'll be a video clip from my 8MP PnS.