• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blue Mountain Ski Area 3/6/09

trtaylor

Date(s) Skied: March 6, 2009

Resort or Ski Area: Blue Mountain Ski Area

Conditions: Packed Powder, Frozen Granular

Trip Report: Arrived at the upper lot around 8:20am and was clicked in by 8:40am. Headed down Midway to Lower Main Street, then skated my way to the 6 pack lift. Made several runs down Paradise, Dreamweaver, Lazy Mile, Challenge and Razor's.

Don't know the exact temperature, but I'd say must have been just around the freezing mark early on. It started to warm up quickly, but it remained cloudy, so conditions stayed nice. Only took half a day off, so I quit around 11:30 and grabbed some lunch in the lounge. That was less than impressive.

This was my second time at Blue and conditions were great both times.So far, I like it quite a bit.

Root is going to post some pictures later on....Apparently the snow was much firmer this morning..it was total spring conditions in the afternoon. Don't waste your money on the food at Blue..next time hit up the Blue Mountain drive-inn on the way home..

trtaylor

no beer at the BMDI..

Why do you think Philpug hates Blue???
Yeah, I figured no beer at the BMDI. I'll try it next time, though.

As far as Phil is concerned, even now there is a thread on PASR where several people (including you) agree Blue's snowmaking and grooming both aren't as good as they could be.

I've hit it good the two times I've been there this year. Blue is challenged with huge amounts of skier traffic, so will never maintain a surface quality, say like Elk. The due north aspect of the mountain can be a plus, but also a minus, since the sun doesn't hit it well to soften things up.

Seems like they just need to step it up a notch in the snow department. Fans guns would be killer there. But, will the ownership make the investment?