• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boston Globe SnowSports Expo - What discounts, freebies?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'd like to hear from anyone who has attended this in the past. Specifically, what deals, discounts, giveaways, coupons, etc. did you find/see there?

I'm looking for head-turning bargains, like free lift tix, subscriptions, 50% off merchandise, give-aways, worthwhile raffles, etc.; Not a measley 5% off something.

This year at Bayside expo center, November 17-20, 2005

Thanks!

ctenidae

It's mostly people selling season passes and vacations. Apparently, you can get some dcent vacation deals. I haven't ever bought a vacation package, so I can't say for sure. There were some raffles and such last year, and some areas will have coupons out (we stocked up on $10 off Sunappee flyers)Ski MArket takes up half the floor and does have some decent deals, on occassion.

Overall, though, by the time we were done last year I was tired and didn't feel like we'd accomplished much. There are some cool booths from places like the NE Ski Museum, though.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I keep hearing there are lots of giveaway, but no specifics. What about the equipment vendors, factory reps?

I talked with a Ski Market manager yesterday and he claims there is a large stockpile of last year's gear they sell of at 'steep discounts', whatever that means. The Nashua store, which is small, claims to have packed up 30 pairs of skis for the show, and there are 29 other stores that do the same. Anyone ever see this stuff? I know it's all low and middle of the road gear, but for some people, the price might be right.

Talisman

I haven't been to that ski show in a few years because it wasn't worth the time. Most of the give awys are stickers for the resorts, $10 off coupons with lots of fine print and a chance to get a T-shirt. I thought the Ski Market sales at these shows in the past featured merchandise that was ready for E-bay or a church rummage sale.

dmo

All of the major manufacturer's will be there, but don't expect them to give anything away. Instead, they're just there to talk up the new equipment.

As mentioned, there are some decent deals buried in the Ski Market store, but you really have to look for 'em. The cool thing is that Ski Market brings in reps (or at least tech reps) from the various manufacturers, meaning that instead of talking to a 16-year-old who hase worked for the shop for a week, you can speak with someone who specializes in that brand.

I've walked out of there with a few ticket give-a-ways over the years, but I wouldnt say I scored a ticket every time I attended.

I'll tell you what though, that show's a whole lot more fun when you're on the industry side of it.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
When I worked at the Bush I used to go to man our booth. Back then we had a combo booth with MRG, Eric is a very friendly guy and has a pretty good sense of humor.

So, obviously, one of the fun things to do is meet Eric and mention that we have many on this forum, (Rivercoil probably has a trailmap on the wall that he bows down to every morning... :wink:), who consider MRG the "promised land", maybe he will give you a free ticket, a "Ski it if you Can" bumper is also possible.

In addition to what has been mentioned most of the eastern resorts are there and even a few from out west so you get trail maps and get first hand info about your fav resort or one you are thinking about trying for the first time.

thetrailboss

Staff member
First time I went: lots of info that was helpful and stickers :wink: I also liked getting coupons and playing games.

Second Year: went with Ms. Trailboss and it was better IMHO. Not as boring. We booked a vacation with Sunday River and got a $50 gift card. We scored a buy-one-get-one-free at Cannon and Crotched. Won a ticket to Pats Peak. Lots of stickers and rabid skiers. But if given a choice between skiing or going to a ski show, I will always choose the former. We scored some cups, T-shirts, and stickers.

It was a good experience, but unless you have a goal in mind, such as booking a trip, or have a lot of time to wander around and try to score stuff, it is just OK. The price is getting higher...not like Warren Miller where at least you get one if not two or three free ski days :roll:

hooks

There's a decent amount of drawings and freebies. A lot of resorts have drawings or games (think plinko from TPIR) to win free or discount lift tickets. A suggestion: Print up labels with your name, address, phone number and email. It'll save writing it over, and over, and over...

Here's a link to the $3 off coupon:
http://www.onthesnow.com/bewi/boston/boston.shtml

And a list of Exhibitors:
http://www.onthesnow.com/bewi/boston/boston_xlist.shtml

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like the Ride and Ski New England discount card is available this year. They had some really good discounts and 2 for 1's at some of the medium to smaller mountains. I emailed the guy who ran it (got his address thru the web designer/host of the old site) and will post if I hear anything.

If anyone has some suggestions on discount cards (aside from the ubiquitous ASC card) please speak up!