• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Breckenridge, CO 1/8/12

vdk03

Date(s) Skied: 1/8/12

Resort or Ski Area: Breckenridge, CO

Conditions: Powder to Packed Powder

Trip Report: Breckenridge claimed 7 fresh inches, not a huge storm but it was nice to ride on something other than groomers. We (Ski Stef and I) got to Peak 7 around 9:30 and got right after it. We basically rode right onto the Independence Super Chair and then hit the glades right under it which spit us out onto Wirepatch. There was definitely good powder there, but being that it was a blue it was just not steep enough to really enjoy it. We headed back down to Independence Super Chair and about a 5 min line had developed.

We decided to head over to Peak 8 and try and find some of the goods. We rode the Colorado Super Chair and took a run down Spruce which is one of the Blacks they have open. It didn't have as much snow as expected, but it was nicer than its been for the past few weeks. We headed back up the CO Super Chair after a 10 min wait and decided to head over to Peak 9. We wanted to give the contest bowl a go, but they didn't give the go ahead yet and it wasn't worth the lines and limited terrain/snow to hang around peak 8.

Once over at peak 9 we got a few runs in and then got slammed at the Beaver Run Super Chair. After 10 mins of waiting the lift shut down for another 5/10 mins it felt like an eternity. Finally got rolling again and we took Briar Rose down to the Falcon Super Chair and headed up Peak 10. At the top of Peak 10 they had dropped the rope and were allowing people to hike to the bowl up above. We decided to give it a shot and started hiking. It took us about 25 min to hike up, the view alone would have been worth it. The middle of the bowl had quite a few tracks thru it, but the outskirts still had plenty of snow, or so it appeared. Got about half way down and was getting some great turns in the snow when all of a sudden as I was cruzing thru a heel edge turn over a knoll and wham, I hit a rock field. My board stopped and I went down hard. I was able to get my arm up to break my fall, left elbow hit the rocks hard. Got a pretty good scrape and a black and blue on the forearm, but no real damage to me other then that. My board took it pretty hard, not a core shot but pretty deep cuts. Tore my shell in the elbow and back:evil:. Probably the worst digger I've taken in a few years. Glad I'm ok, but peeved about my new board and shell. There was good snow the rest of the way down, but I was too rattled to enjoy it.

Took a few more runs in the process of heading back over to Peak 7 to try and end on a good note. Stef wanted to hit the park so we cruzed thru and hit a few kickers. On a positive note my knee held up just fine to today's abuse, until today its been mostly groomers. I got to work it harder today in the powder then I have so far since the surgery and it felt good.

snoseek

Right about now I'm homesick BAD for Colorado.

Nice you got some fresh, It's been tough all over. I predict big spring storms for you, it will improve for sure.
It hasn't F^%%cking snowed here in over 2 months and enough warm weather to melt almost anything that did fall back in OCT. If it doesn't snow here substantially in the next month I'm leaving and hopefully it will be happening there by then....

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Right about now I'm homesick BAD for Colorado.

Nice you got some fresh, It's been tough all over. I predict big spring storms for you, it will improve for sure.
It hasn't F^%%cking snowed here in over 2 months and enough warm weather to melt almost anything that did fall back in OCT. If it doesn't snow here substantially in the next month I'm leaving and hopefully it will be happening there by then....

*hopefully*

Today was a good day, had a lot of fun and got to ski some new terrain which in itself made it more enjoyable. Finally got to play a litttle...unfortunately it'll be skiied off tomorrow. I think the weather is calling for some more snow Wednesday.

frapcap

There was good snow the rest of the way down, but I was too rattled to enjoy it.

Hate it when that happens and your confidence gets rattled!

Sounds like a good trip otherwise! Glad you guys enojoyed yourself.