• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke April 2, POWDER and Pond Skimming

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Who made these monster skis? Is there another story here?

They were built by the guy on the front of the skis (guy on the left in the picture below). He builds houses and has the tools required to build these monsters. They are 3/4" thick burly skis.

Here is a better shot taken by a TGR forum poster:

tandem_skim2.jpg

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
They were built by the guy on the front of the skis (guy on the left in the picture below). He builds houses and has the tools required to build these monsters. They are 3/4" thick burly skis.

That is just way too cool. They obviously have a lot of float. :wink:

Cannonball

tandem_skim2.jpg

So were you one of the riders on those? We saw you/them carrying the skis around all morning. Couldn't figure out for the life of us what was going to go down. When we finally saw the whole thing coming together at the start line it was a mix of awe and horror! What's next for those skis?

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
So were you one of the riders on those? We saw you/them carrying the skis around all morning. Couldn't figure out for the life of us what was going to go down. When we finally saw the whole thing coming together at the start line it was a mix of awe and horror! What's next for those skis?

I wasn't one of the riders, but when you saw them line up to head for the pond, I was the guy on the snow in front of them holding the tips of the skis while both guys clicked in. I would then jump out of the way and off they went :)

I think this setup will probably make another appearance next year.

Cornhead

I wish I could have torn myself away from the empty lift a little more to watch, but the skiing was just too good. I didn't get to Burke till 11:00, so I was more interested in skiing. I did stop on the hill where they take off from and watched for awhile. Saw the tandem get eliminated. There were some pretty skillful skimmers there. I saw noone loose it on impact, just fail to make it all the way across. I assume there were some though, by the roars of the crowd I heard from the lift. I liked the guy in the Mighty Mouse costume, and accompanying theme song. Andy Kaufman?

I think the event was a boon to those who were more interested in skiing. The lift lines, I mean lift line, was longer Sunday. It was ski right up to the chair for 16" of fresh, or semi fresh, by then. Still much better than Sunday's conditions. Not that there was anything wrong with them, very firm in the morning though. I'm glad they groomed, I wasn't sure they would. It'd been brutal at 9:00.

troy

That brings up a question. This may come across wrong, but I don't mean it to. It's a very sincere question. Where are steeps at Burke? We have loved the few days we've had at Burke. There is so much to love there. But I'd the one thing that would prevent it from being a top choice for us is the lack of pitch anywhere. Maybe we've just missed it, although I feel like we've hit the whole mountain. Guidance would be hugely appreciated.

for me burke has some pretty gnarly glade steeps, some of the steepest ive ever skied. upper jungle and upper dixiland aint steep enough for you?

Cannonball

for me burke has some pretty gnarly glade steeps, some of the steepest ive ever skied. upper jungle and upper dixiland aint steep enough for you?

It wasn't meant as an insult or a challenge. I just don't know the mountain well and was asking for advice on where to find the steep runs that Trailboss had alluded to. He and others, included you, gave me that advice.

The two that you point out have short, steep pitches for sure and they are great lines. Some of the trails/trees at other mountains that I hit more frequently maintain that same steep (or steeper) pitch through tight (or tighter) trees for much, much, much longer.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com

tandem_skim2.jpg

Well since Burke's Pond skimming was a no go this year, the owner of these skis is going to try to get them across the pond at Jay this weekend.

I will actually be on them this year instead of holding them. :cool: