• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke Mountain 2-8-09

loafer89

Area skied: Burke Mountain, Vermont

Date skied: February 8th, 2009 from 11:30am - 4:00pm

Surface conditions: Packed powder (upper 1/2 of the mountain) hardpacked, icy, limited powder.

Weather: Cloudy with snowshowers until 2pm, then sunny. 32F at 11:30am, 30F at 4pm.

Warren and I got a late start to Burke due to spending a lazy morning in bed at our hotel in Burlington after watching the rain falling out of our hotel window and not having the greatest enthusiasim for a good ski day.

The drive over to burke was a white knuckle affair with the weather alternating between heavy rain/ rain/snow mix and heavy wet snow. Montpelier was rain, while the higher elevations of Route 2 (1,500' +) where snowcovered with a few accidents.

We arrived at Burke at 11:30 am to cloudy skies and no precipitaion. We decided to ski at Burke due to two factors. First Warren had never been there before and second my other nefiew was racing on Warren's Way.

Our first run of the day was down East Bowl and this trail starts and ends with alot of poling, but the middle part of the trail was fun with about 1-1.5" of new fluffy snow making for enjoyable skiing. The lower section sucked with pure hardpacked icy snow.

Next up was a run down Upper Willowbgy to The Jungle. The Jungle is a nice glade with deep snow and it fairly steep. Unfortunately the snow had developed an icy crust that made the skiing very difficult and turns where a workout.

Lower Willowbgy was very icy and we continued down Bunker Hill and the hits where rock solid hardpacked snow, very slick and not fun to ski. The crowd in the beginner area looked to be practicing controlled slideing rather than skiing.

Deer Run was next and this trail is a nice winding blue trail that had lots of windblown powder on about 3/4 of the run and we had alot of run skiing down it.

My nefiew had finished his race and we got the chance to ski together. We skied down Upper dipper which has fun with packed powder to the moguls on Wilderness. Wilderness had great cover, great soft snow and fun bumps which was a suprise given the icy snow on the rest of the mountain.

Upper Dipper:

TopofUpperDrifter.jpg

Moguls on Wilderness:

Wilderness.jpg

Our last run of the day turned out to be the ROTD and it's too bad that we discovered it too late to ski it a second time. We skied down Sasquatch Glade which was tight but with plenty of soft packed powder onto Wilderness on more time. We entered into Dixieland Glade which has a small tight enterance off of Wilderness and this is where the fun really started.

Dixieland (the picture does little to illustrate the steepness of the glade):

DixelandGlade.jpg

Dixieland Glade is quite steep in spots but with soft snow it was pure bliss to ski and we had a blast for the full length of the glade. The last 500' of the run was a bit dicey with crusty snow, but not a big deal.

Warren and I now have a new favorite glade and we both want to ski it again ASAP.

Burke Mountain:

Burke.jpg

Last edited:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Sounds like some interesting weather conditions! :eek: Nice that you and Warren were able to ski with your nephew, though. :D

Shroud

Burke is such a great mtn. Thanks for the trip report.

loafer89

Burke is such a great mtn. Thanks for the trip report.

No problem. Yes it is a great if empty place. It's really easy to get to though you have to avoid the temptation of resorts further south on the drive up I-91. We did the drive in 3hr 45min which is a short commute especially for us since we ski alot in Maine.

Thankfully we got the 1-2" of snow or the skiing would have been alot worse.

loafer89

I have a Kodak M853. It's not the best camera but I wanted to support an American company.

Glenn

Awesome pics! I haven't been there for years. I agree, East Bowl requires a ton of poling in spots. Not fun when it's super cold out!

loafer89

Yesterday was lots of things, but cold was not one of them. It felt tropical compared to the -25F of two weeks ago. I never saw so many people getting hurt on the trails due to ice. Ski patrol was very buzy with lots of sleds out on the hill.

My nephew's friend broke her arm after falling on the ice racing at Burke. Ski patrol lowered her down the race trail on a rope because of the slick conditions.

Dixieland however was fantastic and I missed the glade 10 minutes after we left.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Sounds like you had a really good day despite the icy conditions. You should have let me know you were going to be there and I would have taken you to the Dixieland area first :) there are 3 more glades over there to check out. You should see it on a powder day!

I actually left the mtn at 11:15 on Sunday. The natural snow trails were skiing much better than the man-made groomer trails that had frozen solid.

Next time you come up give me a shout.

East Bowl requires a ton of poling in spots. Not fun when it's super cold out!

That's where I go when it is super cold. Poling out of there is a great way to get the blood flowing to get warmed up.

Sunday the poling out with unwaxed skis on sticky snow was especially painful.

Last edited:

loafer89

Sounds like you had a really good day despite the icy conditions. You should have let me know you were going to be there and I would have taken you to the Dixieland area first :) there are 3 more glades over there to check out. You should see it on a powder day!

I actually left the mtn at 11:15 on Sunday. The natural snow trails were skiing much better than the man-made groomer trails that had frozen solid.

Next time you come up give me a shout.

That's where I go when it is super cold. Poling out of there is a great way to get the blood flowing to get warmed up.

That would be nice, thanks for the invitation. Burke was a last minute thing as my nephew was racing there on sunday. We really liked Dixieland and the snowcover was very deep, probably more than enough to withstand the thaw.

We both have a favorite new glade trail.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
That would be nice, thanks for the invitation. Burke was a last minute thing as my nephew was racing on sunday. We really liked Dixieland and the snowcover was very deep, probably more than enough to withstand the thaw.

We both have a favorite new glade trail.

The snow on the East side of the mountain tends to withstand thaws pretty well. However, this thaw combined with a freezeup and no new snow could result in the closing of the glades :x until we finally get some new white stuff.

loafer89

The snow on the East side of the mountain tends to withstand thaws pretty well. However, this thaw combined with a freezeup and no new snow could result in the closing of the glades :x until we finally get some new white stuff.

The NWS is forecasting snowshowers on the backside of the rain, so if the mountain gets a few inches of snow, that could help reopen the glades if they do close. If this happens I would be tempted to come up for the day this weekend.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
The NWS is forecasting snowshowers on the backside of the rain, so if the mountain gets a few inches of snow, that could help reopen the glades if they do close. If this happens I would be tempted to come up for the day this weekend.

I'll probably be there for a few hours on Saturday regardless of new snow (nice thing about living 10 minutes away). Although I'll probably be wishing I had sharp skis. :smile:

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Are there any discounts on lift tickets to Burke for non VT residents?

I'm not really sure since I have a pass and haven't been paying real close attention to day ticket prices. Unfortunately, I'm guessing there aren't any deals during the Holiday period.

The only deal I know of is Sunday afternoons for $18 (again, not during holidays)

madskier6

Are there any discounts on lift tickets to Burke for non VT residents?

Loafer, since you're now a CT Ski Council member you should check out the Council Appreciation Days this year during the last week of February. Lift tickets are $28 Tues 2/24 thru Fri 2/27 & then $32 on Sat 2/28. I take my family up to Burke every year during the CSC discount week. We love skiing at Burke, especially at those prices!

loafer89

Loafer, since you're now a CT Ski Council member you should check out the Council Appreciation Days this year during the last week of February. Lift tickets are $28 Tues 2/24 thru Fri 2/27 & then $32 on Sat 2/28. I take my family up to Burke every year during the CSC discount week. We love skiing at Burke, especially at those prices!

Thanks for the information, yes we where aware of them, but I was hoping for some other smaller discounts, coupons for days other than the ski council days.

Eastern Ski & Board had discounts in their New England map from last year, but have not published one for this year.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The Sunday Afternoon Promo, which is like $15-20 for a ticket, is open to everyone. Not worth your time to drive up there for it, but if you are in the neighborhood....