• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Buying vs Demo'ing

SKIQUATTRO

Been having this discussion with my buddy...due to other winter obligations he has, he really only gets out 2-4 times a season...he's hell-bent on buying new skis/bindings....

my argument is that instead of dropping $1000 on new gear, just demo...he doesnt get out enough to really 'tune into' his gear, just demo for $40/day..thats 25 days of demoing for what a new setup would cost..and at the rate hes skiing, that about 6 years worth......

discuss amongst yerselves....

drjeff

Agree! A few time a year skier should just demo. Then if they REALLY fall in love with a pair, buy that demo pair at the end of the season from the shop, and they'll more than likely still have a few hundred of that grand that you refernced left over!

snoseek

I would want to have my own boots though.

WakeboardMom

What about the PITA factor? When you did your calculations, did you add in the time spent in the shop? I guess if it's only 4 or so times a season, it might not be a big deal, but it's definitely something I would consider.

gmcunni

demo, no question. i did it for a season and it was fun trying out new stuff all the time.

snoseek

He's got them, although he is due for an upgrade on those too.....

Well if its just the ski then 1000 is a hefty price tag. I have never once in my life spent over 400 dollars on a pair of skis. Add bindings and a mount it can get done for 5-600 no problem.

Demo is a great idea to get used to different models however or if you're on vacation and don't want to pay baggage. I feel like sheling out that kind of cash would make me not want to ski as often.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If he's hellbent on owning his own gear and only skis a handful of days per season, perhaps a lightly used set up is the best direction to consider.

From an economics standpoint, I agree that demoing makes more sense than buying new. I'd imagine it's both the pain in the ass factor of picking up the skis every time you go and the perceived cost increase per day on the slope. Even though the cost per day is higher with owned gear for someone who skis that infrequently, it's a perception thing. They're paid for. I don't mentally amortize my new Fischers everyday I go out, but I would think more about cost of demoning on top of lift tickets, especially if conditions aren't prime.

abc

He's got them, although he is due for an upgrade on those too.....
Upgrade boots first, if he feels like dropping some coin.

If he's got money to burn, get some season-end sale skis. That can be had from $300-500, give or take. It's getting into the a more reasonable range compare to demo'ing. There's something to be said about skiing the same ski every time.

speden

One problem with demo'ing is that some mountains have a really lousy selection of demo skis.

BenedictGomez

In addition to demoing, what about used?

This year is the first in which I ever bought a used pair of skis, as I've been a bit fearful to do so (lifespan, possible core shots, etc...), but I couldnt be happier.

I got a used pair of Line Prophet 90s WITH Rossi bindings for $205. Even though they were 4 years old, I'd call that an absolute steal. After this experience, it might be a while before I ever buy a NEW pair of skis again.

snoseek

In addition to demoing, what about used?

This year is the first in which I ever bought a used pair of skis, as I've been a bit fearful to do so (lifespan, possible core shots, etc...), but I couldnt be happier.

I got a used pair of Line Prophet 90s WITH Rossi bindings for $205. Even though they were 4 years old, I'd call that an absolute steal. After this experience, it might be a while before I ever buy a NEW pair of skis again.

Yeah that's a real cheap route. I bought a pair of demos for real cheap a couple years back.
Hell I only paid 319 for my skis this year...that's new, delivered.

There is something to be said about consistency. I like the idea of demoing for finding that ski that just feels right.

ScottySkis

You could go to hills when they have their demos days, cost is awesome, I did that at Hunter like 10 years ago got great deal on Dk shapped appache ski it was like$ 400 i think, i tried lots of skis that day and k 2 was my favorite.

steamboat1

Buying used demo's isn't necessarily much cheaper than buying new. When looking for my last pair of ski's that I knew I wanted I was able to purchase a brand new pair for only $100 more then the going price for a pair of used demo's.

On another note many ski shops are offering end of season sales right now. You could pick up a pair of brand new top rated ski's for $500 or less including bindings. Problem is that many of the more popular ski's are either sold out or might not be available in the length you want.

Most ski shops have demo's for the ski's they're selling. If you find a pair you like most shop's will deduct the price you payed for demoing the ski from the purchase price of a new pair.

abc

Most ski shops have demo's for the ski's they're selling. If you find a pair you like most shop's will deduct the price you payed for demoing the ski from the purchase price of a new pair.
I did the comparison: demo'ed and found a ski I like and calculate the end cost after taking the rental credit.

Look online at other sales, calculate end cost (free shipping ;) ). I still came out ahead ordering it online (by $100).

Granted, that was a system binding so no binding and/or mounting cost. Otherwise, buying local would very likely be cheaper.

Cheese

Is there a shop nearby that offers demos? Waiting in line at the mountain can be a PITA but if he can get them in a shop the night before, that would seem far better to me. I suppose eventually the shop is going to realize that he has no intention of buying and perhaps charge a performance rental rate instead.

I wouldn't buy demos. For the same money you can get a used ski with a far better binding than what they throw on demo skis.

abc

If he's not really "demo"ing the ski, maybe it's cheaper to just rent performance skis. Some shops offer that. Typically in the village near the resort but not on mountain rental shop.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Demo until he finds something he loves and then buy. Your $1000 suggestion for new skis is ludicrous. End of season deals usually have skis and binding combos for well under $500. You can get used stuff for $100-300 with bindings (my last pair of Legend 8000s were $100 with demo bindings--which I replaced--on eBay). If total cost is the reason to demo, it is a really bad reason with the online and used marketplace. Going four days a season makes the break even point for used or end of season gear at two seasons. And only skiing four days a season, that gear should last until the "new thing" comes along.

Also, the hassle factor cannot be under estimated. You need to stop at a ski shop every time you go skiing to pickup your skis. That is a huge PITA.

BenedictGomez

I've had a hypothesis for a while now that Spring and Fall 2012 will be a great time to buy new skis, as the terrible snow year should have led to greater excess stock than normal.